SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#165345 - 07/15/03 04:24 PM Steve Demming or Anyone else Psr2k Line/ Mic Input ..Stereo or Mono?
Dnj Offline

I need to know, I want to plug in a cd player and have it come out in stereo to 2 speakers......Thanx

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 07-16-2003).]

#165346 - 07/15/03 05:26 PM Re: Steve Demming or Anyone else Psr2k Line/ Mic Input ..Stereo or Mono?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Don't quote me, but I think the mic input is a mono hi-z line. Can't check my manual right now, but I'm pretty sure the others will come up with the same answer - I hope, or I'm a real horse's behind.

#165347 - 07/15/03 05:52 PM Re: Steve Demming or Anyone else Psr2k Line/ Mic Input ..Stereo or Mono?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
hi Donny:

Both the PSR2000/2100 & Tyros include a single 1/4" Mono jack only. No stereo inputs. There is a toggle switch which sets the jack input level to mic or line level.

This may prove disappointing for some, but I myself only need to utilize the line input jack to plug my MP3/Mini Disc player into for 'background music' during my breaks, and actually prefer 'mono' sound as this offers the listeners a more impressive constrast when I return, performing 'live' again, and in 'stereo'.

On the subject of the background music played during breaks: As both a vocalist & keyboardist, I generally like to keep my break time background music limited to instrumental style tunes, as well as not including music performed by me.

I'm really curious to hear what type of songs (if any) are played during breaks by other gigging performers here.

Scott

#165348 - 07/15/03 07:36 PM Re: Steve Demming or Anyone else Psr2k Line/ Mic Input ..Stereo or Mono?
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Mic input DEFINATELY MONO. A stereo input jack will not work.

On the subject of break music, like Scott, I do not use any vocals and seldom anything I recorded. Depending on the room and the dynamics I use several different playlists that are grouped into genres such as medium tempo big band swing, BB King type blues, George Benson type jazz, Bob Marley Reggae (no vocal), slow to medium tempo dixie, 60's-70's style ballads...and even a set of Techno and Hip Hop (just in case but, so far used only once at an anniversary party that had ALL ages).

Volume on break music is set below live, playing volume and is intentionally designed as background conversation music rather than foreground dance music.

Some employers prefer no break music between sets.
Eddie

#165349 - 07/15/03 09:28 PM Re: Steve Demming or Anyone else Psr2k Line/ Mic Input ..Stereo or Mono?
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
hi Donny:

Both the PSR2000/2100 & Tyros include a single 1/4" Mono jack only. No stereo inputs. There is a toggle switch which sets the jack input level to mic or line level.

Scott

Quote:
Originally posted by btweengigs:
Mic input DEFINATELY MONO. A stereo input jack will not work.

Eddie

Scott, The PSR 2000's Mic/Line input is "Balanced", ie., a 'Stereo' input. The Line input can be used with an external device, eg., portable CD/MP3 Player that has a Line Out. Run it into the PSR 2000's Line In and you have a Stereo signal to the PSR 2000's speakers.

Eddie, I use a "Balanced" 1/4" Mic Cable Jack that I run into the PSR 2000's Mic/Line In and it works flawlessly. So a 1/4" Stereo "Balanced" Mic Cable WILL work as evidenced by the fact that MINE works.

Best regards,
Mike

PS: I had the same concern about whether the PSR 2000's Mic/Line input was Stereo or Mono so I called Yamaha and they said it was definitely a "Balanced", ie. "Stereo" input connection. Now whether Yamaha Tech support gave me a correct answer or not is maybe up to Steve Deming to clarify for sure but that is what they told me when I called about a year or so ago. Regardless though, my "Balanced" Mic Cable still works flawlessly.

Best regards,
Mike

#165350 - 07/15/03 10:13 PM Re: Steve Demming or Anyone else Psr2k Line/ Mic Input ..Stereo or Mono?
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Mike...
Did you try it with a mic...or another input device?

I bought a $25 monster stereo mic cable and it did not work on either of my PSR2ks.

I saw no designation on the package that said balanced or unbalanced.
Eddie

#165351 - 07/15/03 10:57 PM Re: Steve Demming or Anyone else Psr2k Line/ Mic Input ..Stereo or Mono?
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by btweengigs:
Mike...
Did you try it with a mic...or another input device?

I bought a $25 monster stereo mic cable and it did not work on either of my PSR2ks.
Eddie

Hi Eddie. Yes, I use the Mic/Line In on my PSR 2000 with a "Balanced" Stereo "Mic Cable". I Run my Shure Beta 87A Mic through a Blue 'Kiwi' Mic Cable that runs to a Rolls Phantom Power Adapter and then from there I output a Monster "Balanced" Stereo Mic cable to my PSR 2000's Mic/Line Input connector. I have no idea why yours didn't work unless the Cable was BAD from the Factory. I am assuming your Mic cable was configured with a Mic Input Connector on one end (to your Mic) and taylored down to a 1/4" connector on the other end of the Mic cable (to go to your PSR Mic/Line Input)???. My Blue Kiwi cable has the XLR connector on it which goes into the Rolls Phantom Power Adapter. PS: I use a 'Gold' Series Connector on my Monster Mic cable but the Non-Gold connectors should work fine too.

Best regards,
Mike

#165352 - 07/16/03 05:58 AM Re: Steve Demming or Anyone else Psr2k Line/ Mic Input ..Stereo or Mono?
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Mike,

I must be missing something. Microphone cables are either balanced with three connector XLRs or unbalanced with 1/4 inch phone jacks. I have never heard of a "stereo" microphone cable and see no advantage in one if there were such a thing. As far as I know there is no such thing as a balanced 1/4 inch microphone cable. You've been sold some bad information. Eddie is correct, the 2000 has a single 1/4 inch unbalanced microphone input.

Donny, why do you need to know? Is it time to dump the Roland?

[This message has been edited by Tom Cavanaugh (edited 07-16-2003).]

Tom

#165353 - 07/16/03 06:07 AM Re: Steve Demming or Anyone else Psr2k Line/ Mic Input ..Stereo or Mono?
Dnj Offline

I want to know if you can plug in a stereo device ...CD/Mp3 player to the 2k....and have it come outin Stereo controlled by the master vol control. My 9k had stereo AUX in/outs for this .

#165354 - 07/16/03 06:12 AM Re: Steve Demming or Anyone else Psr2k Line/ Mic Input ..Stereo or Mono?
Pilot Offline

Loc: Ontario,Canada
If you read the 2000 manual carefully there is no mention of a stereo mic but very strong indications that it is mono. I suspect that it is similar to the 740. This has a 'stereo' jack in that it has tip, ring and sleeve. However, the sleeve is grounded, the tip is input and the ring is open but has a switch to ground and shorts the input until a plug is inserted. There is a single mono amplifier with the mic setting giving a gain of 5 over the line setting by inserting a further amplifier stage. I have a genuine Yamaha Vocal Harmony mic (an Audix) which has a balanced XLR connector but the cable has a mono jack plug on the other end. The cable connects one side of the mic to the sleeve. So the connection for any mic is unbalanced with the tip and sleeve as the conductors and the ring doing nothing.

Bryan

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online