SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#165267 - 02/26/06 05:15 AM OT: Radio Shack $299 Piano (Casio Privia?)
Esh Offline

Loc: Hilton Head, SC, USA
Only slightly OT: Radio Shack has a 26 lb. digital piano for $299 right now that appears to be a stripped-down Casio Privia, possibly of the newer PX series (the original Privias weighed more, the newer ones weighed 26lbs.). It is Model DP-4073 . They are marked for "clearance" at the stores so it may be discontinued. I played one the other day and the weighted action keyboard feels good and the piano actually sounds better than I expected. Not many features - very basic MIDI I/O, headphone output, sustain pedal jack, five sounds (piano can be combined with strings), 32 note polyphony, and it comes in black rather than brown & silver like most Privias... but I think it's the lowest priced Privia-knockoff I've seen. Good practice or beginner piano - not bad as a weighted action controller either. They may not be around long so if you're looking for a very cheap digital piano you might want to check this out.

Edit: it appears that the Radio Shack piano is a version of the Casio CDP-100, which sells for $499 (with stand) at Musicians Friend. It has a triple-strike scaled hammer action keyboard.

[This message has been edited by Esh (edited 02-26-2006).]

#165268 - 02/26/06 08:46 PM Re: OT: Radio Shack $299 Piano (Casio Privia?)
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
You're not kidding $299 is a great price for a weighted hammer action MIDI controller. The fact that it even comes with an acceptable 88 key range piano sound built in makes it an even better deal.

#165269 - 02/27/06 04:25 AM Re: OT: Radio Shack $299 Piano (Casio Privia?)
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
As for my fragile ego, I don't know... having a RADIO SHACK logo staring at the audience might be worse than CASIO. I would be forced to paint it or something.

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#165270 - 02/27/06 05:05 AM Re: OT: Radio Shack $299 Piano (Casio Privia?)
quietDIN Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by SemiLiveMusic:
As for my fragile ego, I don't know... having a RADIO SHACK logo staring at the audience might be worse than CASIO. I would be forced to paint it or something.

A piece of black gaffer's tape can work wonders.

Has anyone else played one of these RS 'boards? The closest RS dealer that stocks it is an hour's drive from where I am, and I'd like to be convinced that the trip to investigate further is worth it. How does the piano sound compare to the WK-3200, for example? If effects are turned off, does it sound "real"?

Thanks for any insight.

--Barry

#165271 - 02/27/06 09:43 AM Re: OT: Radio Shack $299 Piano (Casio Privia?)
Esh Offline

Bought one of these babies today and all I can say is hot damn! Playing it in the store was nothing like playing it at home because the internal speakers do not do the keyboard justice. The speaker system is near-junk (8w+8w) and serious headphones make a big difference. Yes, the acoustic piano sound is very realistic and it rivals keyboards that cost many times more. I found the piano sound through headphones to be a little bright for my tastes but hook it up to an amp and it would certainly cut through in a band situation. There's two acoustic pianos - one stereo one mono, a very basic Rhodes piano sound that benefits greatly from the chorus+reverb effect, harpsicord (can almost get a Clavinet out of it) and strings... you can layer the strings over piano and adjust volume between layers. Caveat: the functions require combination function & key/note presses... cheap but it works.

But hey, forget the internal sounds... I'm using this as an 88-note controller with my Yamaha 9000 Pro for a two-tier rig, hammer-action controller on bottom and 76-note unweighted keys on top. Sweet. Best $299 I've spent in recent memory.

BTW: the finish is very dark gray and the Radio Shack name is only slightly lighter gray so the name won't be visible on stage, especially the way I'm going to be using it. And it weighs 25 lbs, not 26.

[This message has been edited by Esh (edited 02-27-2006).]

#165272 - 02/27/06 08:05 PM Re: OT: Radio Shack $299 Piano (Casio Privia?)
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Duct tape covers the "Casio" nicely...Radio Shack, I don't know...maybe a colored vinyl tape..

The Casio WK's are great bang for the buck, too.....32 polyphony, spoils the fun..

#165273 - 02/28/06 06:05 AM Re: OT: Radio Shack $299 Piano (Casio Privia?)
Esh Offline

I used the Radio Shack Piano as a controller to my 9000 Pro last night... it made quite a difference in my sound and playing. Having access to those upper and lower keys going from 76 note to 88 really helped, and the action of the RS Piano is sooo much better than my 9000 Pro. I don't plan on using the internal sounds of the RS Piano much anyway so the 32-note polyphony is a non-issue - this is a great MIDI controller not to mention a handy practice tool.

#165274 - 02/28/06 12:51 PM Re: OT: Radio Shack $299 Piano (Casio Privia?)
Ron Pierce Offline

Loc: Fort Myers, FL USA
Thanks for the tip, ESH. Went to 3 different RS today and finally found one. My wife is serenading me now with "Fascination". She finally found those keys she's been missing. I'm going back to my Tyros2.
Ron

#165275 - 02/28/06 04:23 PM Re: OT: Radio Shack $299 Piano (Casio Privia?)
flatfoot Offline

Loc: sacramento CA

I tried one last night. It is an excellent instrument. Good sounds and the weighted action is very convincing. I did not buy it because it has no USB connector, and I don't have a place for it in my house. Also since I never did learn on a real piano, I dont really need weighted action or 88 keys.

I also tried one of their 76-key arrangers, half price at $299. I dont know their model numbers, but it looked like one of their yamaha-killers I have see at guitar center. Very good piano sounds, marvelous drawbar organs, much improved styles, etc, etc. Worth checking out.

#165276 - 03/01/06 02:14 AM Re: OT: Radio Shack $299 Piano (Casio Privia?)
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
Their arrangers are Casio models

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online