Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#165108 - 09/09/02 09:00 AM More FIRST IMPRESSIONS OF TYROS
Bob Gelman Offline

Loc: Berkeley, CA
From our PSR Songs Group (by JOHAN):

Some more on the Tyros ....

Hello everyone,

This morning I received a message from Theo asking some further questions on my first experience with the Tyros. I will try to answer them. But please, note this:
The demonstration I attended was given by a professional demonstrator, a nice guy with charisma, being able to imitate to voice of several famous singers. And of course he could play! And I think that a real good musician can even make a mediocre keyboard sound good.
There was also a well responding audience that evening. The demonstration soon turned into a nice party with a great atmosphere and a happy audience. I am aware that all these things do, to some degree, influence your judgement. So please bear this in mind when reading my judgements.

But looking back now - a week has past - I have the feeling that certain things are obvious to me:

The voices

Yamaha claims that with their new Mega Voice Technology the instrumental voices sound better than ever. To my judgement this is very true. As I wrote before, there were moments that I could not believe my ears. I was especially impressed by the guitars and basses. The tremendous sliding sound a bass player sometimes makes has, for instance, become available. But let me expand a little on the guitars:

When we hear an instrument being played, for example a vibraphone, we hear two things: the sound of vibrating metal giving us a tone that sounds for some time. But also the clicking sound that can be heard when the wooden sticks hit the metal plates. It sounds only very short but is a part of the typical sound of a vibraphone. Research has shown that we identify the sound of a musical instrument in the very first moments that it is being played, mainly being what is called the attack time of the instrument. Now, if you make a recording of two instruments and cut of the attack piece, people have great difficulty in telling the difference between for example a piano and a vibraphone or a trumpet and a soprano saxophone.
Now when a Spanish guitar player plays on his guitar we hear the sound of vibrating strings, but also the sound of nails on metal and nylon. A guitar player has control over this sound. When he plays the guitar quite vigorously and mutes the sound of the strings soon after they have been played, the guitar becomes a more percussive instrument. It can be heard in gypsy music and flamenco for instance.

If I have understood it correctly, these attacking sounds (strumming and beating sounds) of the guitar have become available separately and can be mixed in at will. When this was demonstrated in showing the difference between a PSR-9000 and the new Tyros, I found it quite convincing. Or as one of my friends said, it has become quite difficult to hear the difference between a real guitar and the keyboard one. But, I want to stress this point again, the guy (demonstrator) could play!

The styles

We were told that the styles have been reworked by professional musicians. Listening to a PSR-9000 or 2000 we hear that beating and strumming sounds on guitars are already incorporated in many styles. They sound nice, even good sometimes. But a trained ear will hear the difference. Now Yamaha has the guitars played in their styles like a guitar player would do. The technique of a guitar player is very different from a keyboard player and so he has other possibilities and difficulties. As we have grown accustomed to hearing certain techniques applied on certain instruments, this is the key factor in determining whether we listen to a real guitar player or not. Hearing Yamaha's new reworked styles was also convincing on this point.

Upgrading to a Tyros?

The main reason for me for upgrading to a Tyros would be: Is the Tyros a significant improvement as a musical instrument? If I can make better sounding music, have more possibilities for expression, a keyboard that responds better to my touch, styles that are great and usable, etc., then these would be the points on which I would make my decision. I am not so much interested in the gadgets that come with a keyboard. I don't need a built-in microwave to heat my soup. If I want to do some nice sequencing, I would buy me a good sequencing program. Having a computer, this would also be the cheapest solution.
I have read many mails on the Tyros in both the songs and the styles group. For me these discussions were too much concentrated on technical issues. Yes, I know, a keyboard is a digital instrument and technical issues are important. I am only saying that if I had to choose between better sounds, better styles, etc. or the possibility to use the USB port on my computer, have an elaborate sequencer on board, etc., I would choose the first option. In this respect I agree with Bob.

The Tyros versus other keyboards

I have not too much experience with other keyboards. I have had Yamaha keyboards from the very first day they appeared. And enjoyed them. Then I made an excursion to a GEM keyboard twice. And I thought they were great. I think that GEM certainly has contributed to the development of keyboards. After that I have been playing synthesizer for some time, the Roland JV-80 mostly. Almost three years ago, I returned to keyboards again and bought after an astonishing demonstration, a PSR-9000. It has been a "golden" decision. I have never felt so stimulated in making music.

In their 9000 folder Yamaha claims to have developed the 9000 with the musician in my mind. For me this was true. The things that I disliked or missed on the GEM keyboards were all there or so much better done. Certain possibilities and the way they are implemented have impressed me. Maybe I will write something about some real nice features in the near future for those who are not familiar with them.
If I would have a wish, it would be an even better to touch responding keyboard. I still own a Roland piano and for me it has still the best response to touch. But then again, you can't have everything.

Before buying the 9000 I attended several demonstrations of different keyboards. After hearing the 9000 I have never doubted which choice to make. Of course, other manufacturers do also make great keyboards. And when you are into piano playing a lot and hear that the piano sounds of another keyboard are even better, you may have a hard time making a decision. For me, being more overall oriented, I think my decision, as it comes to buying a Tyros, is made.

Back to the evening

As I mentioned before, it was a nice evening when the Tyros was demonstrated. The first part of the evening was devoted to demonstrating the other new Yamaha models. After the break some amateur musicians played their best achievements on different keyboards. Their was even a group of four people with different keyboards making music together. Very nice.

Then the Tyros was officially announced and demonstrated. I felt a giant had stepped into the room.

But, once again, this was my first impression. Things are not always what they seem to be. Only hearing this new keyboard yourself, or even better, playing it, will be decisive. And an enthusiastic story may set one's expectations too high. So please, don't blame me too much, if afterwards you think I was completely wrong.

Still I think, a giant has arrived ....

Greetings,

Johan.

#165109 - 09/09/02 10:42 AM Re: More FIRST IMPRESSIONS OF TYROS
rolandfan Offline

Loc: South Africa
What I'd like to know from someone who has played or heard both the Tyros and Roland VA7 is.... Are the instruments on the Tyros better and more realistic than the GOOD instruments on the VA7 (note: good referring to the special 4th bank of new sounds made for the VA7)

I think George might be able to answer this one

#165110 - 09/09/02 11:03 AM Re: More FIRST IMPRESSIONS OF TYROS
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Actually, I am interested in someone reviewing the acoustic grand piano sound of the Tyros versus any other Yamaha model. I'm beginning to think that the Tyros is all about guitars. I fully understand that the new MegaVoice sounds are all guitars and the Styles have been reworked to include the new guitars and much can be said about the difference a great guitar sound can make not to mention the pyscho-acoustic properties of how a guitar sound is made in the real world.... but the Tyros is still a keyboard and I'd to know about the quality of the sounds that are normally associated with a keyboard. How 'bout that piano: better, the same, not as good?

#165111 - 09/09/02 11:43 AM Re: More FIRST IMPRESSIONS OF TYROS
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
Hi Bob

Thanks for taking the time to post the review on this forum.

Eric

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online