SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#164934 - 01/25/02 01:09 PM PA80 Unwanted Echo Effect
Rglass Offline

Loc: Sykesville, Maryland, USA
On my Single Touch Setting Buttons (F1 to F4) I get this unwanted echo effect on buttons
F3 and F4. Button F1 and F2 are OK. Could anyone help me with this problem? I just purchased this PA80. Thanks in advance.

Ron

#164935 - 01/25/02 06:47 PM Re: PA80 Unwanted Echo Effect
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Is this happening on all the styles you are using or just the default style when you boot the board up ? 2nd Q..Did you purchase the board new ? ( The reason for the questions is because there are so many ways to change the global settings and rewrite them to become default settings when the board is booted up, and knowing this might help me to help you figure out the problem )

"Korg" AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 01-25-2002).]

#164936 - 01/25/02 07:11 PM Re: PA80 Unwanted Echo Effect
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Ron ,
Welcome aboard the arranger forum ! dano

#164937 - 01/26/02 06:12 AM Re: PA80 Unwanted Echo Effect
Rglass Offline

Hi Bluezplayer and thank you for your reply. Yes, it is happening on all of the Styles. As I said, this is a brand new PA80.
I thought the OS could have been damaged so I
downloaded the (5) ver 2.0 disks from Korg,
re-installed them and updated to Ver 3.0.
Unfortunately, that did not solve the problem. #3 & #4 Button echos any selective voice in the right hand. echo .. echo .. echo ..

For Dan01 ... Thanks for welcoming me to the SynthZone.

#164938 - 01/26/02 06:44 AM Re: PA80 Unwanted Echo Effect
Bluezplayer Offline

Quite a few ( but not all ) of my F3 and F4 voices have a good bit of echo too now that I've checked them. I really never noticed because I almost never use the single touch settings. I mostly use the performances to recall what I want to play and have made most of them custom to suit what I like to play. I'm not entirely sure that this is a defect Ron, but I'd almost have to listen to your PA80 as opposed to mine. I noticed that quite a few of them on mine had a delay effect on them. Hmmmm.. maybe more a function of poor preset effects than a glitch. Quite a few of my custom performance sounds started with one touch sounds, but I modified the effects on a lot of them anyway and in some cases changed or added programs to get the sounds I wanted. Any of your performance and single touch settings can be modified and saved on the board. It is very easy to save and store any changes too by the way.

If you aren't already a member, there is a PA80 discussion group at Yahoo groups. All you have to do is sign up, costs nothing, but I might advise you to uncheck the individual email option during the registration process or your email account will get flooded. I just go to the site at my leisure and read the message board. There are quite a few guys ( Terry , John Smies, Craig, to name a few ) who are very knowledgable on the inner workings of the board and might be able to shed more light on your question, but unless every F3 and F4 voice for EVERY style has a serious amount of echo, I don't think your board is defective. Here is a good test. Try the F3 STS organ voice on the "Acid jazz" style on page one of the Jazz 1 style bank. ( Make sure you use the Acid jazz style from jazz 1, there is a different Acid Jazz style in the " Soul and funk " bank ) There is a hint of reverb but very little on mine. In fact the STS 2 ( F2 ) electric piano voice from that style has a touch more reverb and echo to it. I didn't customize very many of my STS settings, ( and I have the originals plus any customized ones saved to disk ), so if you'd like to compare a few STS sounds between my board and yours, drop me an email, tell me which ones you'd like to compare, and I'll gladly record a couple of them and send them back as MP3 files

Good Luck,

"Korg" AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 01-26-2002).]

#164939 - 01/26/02 08:02 AM Re: PA80 Unwanted Echo Effect
Rglass Offline

"Korg" AJ,

You have correctly analyzed my incorrect assumption of an echo defect after taking your suggested test. I found (and I was wrong originally) that not ALL F3 & F4 voice had excessive echo on them. Therefore, your original suggestion of poor pre-set effect setting maybe the culprit. I am very relieved that I will be able to adjust this value (once I learn) thanks to you. I am very pleased with the PA80 but I have alot of learning to do and I shouldn't jump to rash evaluations (operator error, not board defects). I will go to the Yahoo group and obtain as much info as I can and hope that I
can learn more and help others. This internet is a great "information source".

Ron

#164940 - 01/26/02 11:25 AM Re: PA80 Unwanted Echo Effect
Bluezplayer Offline

Glad to hear it Ron.

To get rid of some of that echo or reverb...here's what I do. While in the performance mode, let's say I'm using the " Groove Ballad " style from the " Ballad " bank This is the default style that my board boots up with, but I have rewritten and changed the global settings, icluding the boot up defaults so it may or may not be the one yours opens up with.

STS3 ( f3 ) from that style is a layered guitar sound with a ton of echo / reverb. I press f3, then go to and press the menu button on the top left of the "screen panel" . From there I press " effects " just to see what effects are loaded in. The main voices will always use effects C and D, so scroll one page to the right ( default takes you to A and B ). Now I see that I have Reverb for effect C and BPM ( delay ) for effect D. I want to get rid of all of effect D and some of effect C. I can change effect D to any effect including no effect or I can just scroll to page 3 of the menu section and adjust the amount of reverb for effect C and the delay for effect D. ( The little keyboard icon will tell you which voices are active for this STS, and you'll want to adjust the effect send levels for each active voice ) There is also advanced editing for each effect starting with screen 10.

Once I get the sound I like, I can simply save it to the same STS ( or a new one if I choose ) by pressing the " write - disk in use " button, pressing the button next to STS N3 to choose to save ( I could also overwrite STS 1, 2 or 4 and keep 3 as it is if I wanted by scrolling with the wheel to the right of the screen ). Then I simply press the ": Enter / Yes " button, A screen will ask " Are you sure ? " If I press Enter / Yes again, my new STS is saved, but If I get cold feet or change my mind, I can press " Exit / No " and nothing is saved.

If you do join the Yamaha groups, look for Terry ( TRT something or other ) and his tutorials ( They might even be saved in the files archive for access and download ). Terry explained nearly every function of the board so that a new owner could easily understand what is going on. He did a great job too I might add.
" Korg " AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 01-26-2002).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online