SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#164752 - 09/13/04 04:10 PM Sounds like a scam to me!
mdolmon Offline

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio,US
I'm running an ad to sell my PSR740, today I got three responses all which are almost identical from the standpoind where they want to send a cashiers check for an amount in excess of what I'm asking in turn I'm to cash the check send the PSR and the balance to them......Sounds like a scam to me, has anyone seen these....below is one of the emails ....just to let you know I told all of them to take a hike.

Hello,
I saw your advert on the web and i am interested in your Yamaha PSR 740
I am ready to pay $600
I am based in uk but on a bussiness trip to west africa and i will be responsible for the shiping to my destination.
my mode of payment will be through cashiers check,i will instruct my client in the usa to make out a cashiers check of $1800 to you. which has an excess of $1200 , reason being that it is a refund payment, and the Customer issuing the check has the policy not to issue more than one check to a refund payment,which means that the check is going to carry the whole amount of what i am buying and also the shipping .the excess of $1200 will be for the shipping of the good and my other goods in the usa.i want you to send the balance which is meant for the shipping to my shipper who i will instruct to contact you after i have received an e mail from you telling me you want to sell to me.
If my offer is okay kindly reply by giving me your full name and address to which payment will be made too and also photos so i can see what i really want to get,my phone number is 2348023324846.
regards

#164753 - 09/13/04 04:29 PM Re: Sounds like a scam to me!
trtjazz Offline

Bogus. stay away from this scam, unless you have money and a PSR to throw away.
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

#164754 - 09/13/04 04:52 PM Re: Sounds like a scam to me!
mdolmon Offline

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio,US
I know,I wanted to post this so thateveryone was aware.
Thanks

#164755 - 09/13/04 05:24 PM Re: Sounds like a scam to me!
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Quote:
Originally posted by mdolmon:
I know,I wanted to post this so thateveryone was aware.
Thanks

He he! A cousin of mine got a similar offer about a year ago this time with Paypal. They sent him an extra $700 or so and told him to send it to some country you only hear of in G-d knows where. He accepted. As soon as he told me about it I told him to just hang on to the money and the item and report it to eBay.

He didn't hear from either the buyer or eBay - but from the police about ten months later. He he he!

Anyway he's out on parole right now.

Chony

#164756 - 09/15/04 06:11 PM Re: Sounds like a scam to me!
synerjim Offline

Loc: CA
Hi All,
I got exactly the same offer. In fact, the man said he already sent the cashier check to me but in excess of $3500! He's asking how could i remit him. I replied to give me his full name & mailing address & i'll send back the check if i received them. I also told him that i already sold the kb the price i asked for. This is really seems a scam to me.
Jimmy

SD90,Korg I3, KMA Liverpool,TC Helicon Play Electric, Fender Sonoran Guitar, vArranger, Bose S1 Pros, Bose L1 Compact, Aiwa Exos-9

#164757 - 09/17/04 01:31 PM Re: Sounds like a scam to me!
TyrosOwner Offline

Loc: Carbondale, IL
I would imagine that this scam is a way for them to launder stolen money by tricking a (stupid) 3rd person into doing the dirty work of actually handling the most risky part of the transaction. That seems particuarly likely in Chony's scenerio where they did actually send a cashier's check as was discussed. The fact the police showed up 10 months later at the marks door almost proves the effectiveness of the scam in putting a dupe in between the criminal and the original victim of the theft.

The other possible scam is that the offer to send the check with the excess money is simply a confidence builder and the person accepting would soon find another 'twist' that would require some sort of good faith money.

Regardless this is definitely a scam and probably should be reported to Ebay.

#164758 - 09/17/04 01:37 PM Re: Sounds like a scam to me!
TyrosOwner Offline

Loc: Carbondale, IL
Quote:
Originally posted by synerjim:
Hi All,
I got exactly the same offer. In fact, the man said he already sent the cashier check to me but in excess of $3500! He's asking how could i remit him. I replied to give me his full name & mailing address & i'll send back the check if i received them. I also told him that i already sold the kb the price i asked for. This is really seems a scam to me.
Jimmy

I would not even open the envelope and just put a 'Return to Sender' stamp on it. If the check is in fact stolen then just having it would certainly be considered posession of stolen property. Whatever you do, DO NOT CASH IT!!! If you do then you will probably find police at your door... presumably in 6 months to year.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online