SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#163388 - 04/02/03 01:39 PM hi guys now i need help
nardoni2002 Offline

Loc: malaga, spain
i have downloaded the latest windows update ,but it won,t install,i would appreciate all your ideas,,mike

#163389 - 04/02/03 04:58 PM Re: hi guys now i need help
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Mike,
What version of Windows did you download? I assume that you downloaded an upgrade to an existing operating system, therefore, I guess the question is what verion of Windows are you currently using?

Gary

[This message has been edited by travlin'easy (edited 04-02-2003).]

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#163390 - 04/02/03 10:44 PM Re: hi guys now i need help
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
Also what specific updates did you try to install? Sometimes an update will be "unsuccessful" or "fail" because there are other problems on your computer, eg., sofware conflict, hardware conflict, Internet Explorer problems, etc.

If the update fails when you try to install it/them again I would try and do some diagnostics on your computer. Run a scandisk if you use Windows 95, 98/SE. Windows 2000, XP have a scandisk feature but it is a little more tedious 'hassle' to run. Also defragment your Hard Drive. Scandisk and defrag are easy in Windows 95/98/SE. Click the Start button on the bottom left of your screen, click "Run" then type "scandisk" or "defrag" without the quotes in the box and hit OK. Then follow the instructions.

Hey, for all I know your a Computer Scientist Mike so forgive me if I am sounding trite. I am aware that most people who own computers are fairly knowledgeable when it comes to working on them whether it be using it or trying to fix it. But just in case you aren't that knowledgeable is the reason I listed them. Also purging your Internet Explorer Cache is recommended every so often and I suggest you empty your C:\Windows\Temp folder regularly too. If your C:\Windows\Temp folder has a lot of data files in it, it can cause problems sometimes when trying to install some software. PS: If you have a Firewall, it may be necessary to disable it temporarily when you try and Update your computer. Anti-Virus software sometimes interferes when trying to install some programs, updates, etc. Always err on the side of caution though, ie., "If you have doubts on how to do something try to gain that knowledge and know how before attempting to do it, especially on the more critical aspects of Computer diagnostics and repair.

Best regards,
Mike

Sorry for being so long-winded.

[This message has been edited by Idatrod (edited 04-02-2003).]

#163391 - 04/03/03 02:26 AM Re: hi guys now i need help
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
One more thing...If you are updating your version of Windows XP with Service Pack 1 and you DON'T have a valid key or Activation license, Windows will NOT update.

Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#163392 - 04/03/03 03:21 AM Re: hi guys now i need help
nardoni2002 Offline

hi all, i have windows me,i tried to update broser6 with extras,,,how do i find out what updates i already have?,iv,e tried scandisc,no i,m not a pc wiz kid quite the opposite ,just going through the learning curve,i,ll try some things thats been menti oned ,keep the ideas coming ,thanks mike

#163393 - 04/03/03 06:15 AM Re: hi guys now i need help
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
Mike, to find out what updates have already been installed on your Windows Me machine go to the Microsoft Update site. In the left pane window under "Other Options" click 'View installation history'. That will tell you what updates have been installed, which ones have been successful, which ones have failed, and the date of installation. PS: Searching through Microsoft's Knowledge Base under "Support" can be very enlightening and helpful in finding fixes for various OS and Computer problems you may be experiencing. Although navigating through the Knowledge Base can be rather daunting especially for a Novice.

Best regards,
Mike

#163394 - 04/03/03 10:35 AM Re: hi guys now i need help
nardoni2002 Offline

thanks i,ll give it a try,also microsoft have contacted me so hopefully i will soon be ok,,cheers mike

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online