SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#163254 - 08/30/04 01:41 PM Re: Logitech Z2200 speakers
Dnj Offline

http://www.b-52pro.com/start.html

The B52 Matrix Looks great.. but, honestly a bit too much power & weight for my shows.....I love the 3pc concept but in a "Lil Smaller" package....thats why I like the LUCAS 600
http://www.hkaudio.com/Portable/Active/lucas_600/

its perfect for me ...but Dealers, USA voltage?, could be a problem..I need to look into HK a bit more.

The new Peavey system also looks interesting coming soon.....we'll see.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 08-30-2004).]

#163255 - 09/15/04 08:31 AM Re: Logitech Z2200 speakers
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Just to add my $.02 to this discussion...

I bought a set of Logitech Z-2200 speakers based on the comments here. I needed a set of computer speakers for my computer desk anyway and the possibility of being able to use them with my keyboards or with Reason was just an added bonus - plus there is a $50 rebate through October 31: Amazon.com had them for $107 (no shipping or tax) but I think they've raised their price to $109 now. The rebate is from Logitech so final cost is $57 or $59.

Well, for $57 these are very good gaming speakers with enough bass to piss off all of your neighbors handily. Great power, but with 2/3 of the power going to the bass and no real EQ other than a volume control for the subwoofer, these speakers are not good for music IMHO. I tried using Reason with it and got too much bass even with the subwoofer volume set for minimum. I tried my Yamaha 9000 Pro keyboard with them and got the same results - uncontrollable bass. Rolling off the bass EQ in my 9000 Pro helped but not enough to justify using this speaker system live. Wish the satellite speakers could be used by themselves. I don't think it's possible to come anywhere near a flat frequency response with the Z-2200's, but they weren't designed for that anyway.

Spec-wise and especially price-wise (while the rebate is on) the Z-2200 system is good for what it's made for - computer games. They would be clumsy and fragile for gigging and I don't like the muddy bass-heavy sound for music - I'll be keeping my Motion Sound amps, thank you very much. None the less I don't think a better computer-gaming speaker system can be had for $57, so I'm keeping them. Thanks for the info guys!

#163256 - 09/15/04 09:23 AM Re: Logitech Z2200 speakers
Dnj Offline

Jim.....

Funny, those $57.00 Speakers made me alot of money........To each his own..

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 09-15-2004).]

#163257 - 09/15/04 10:37 AM Re: Logitech Z2200 speakers
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Jim,

I totally agree about there being more than enough bass. The bass is also not what I would call crisp sounding. I did get acceptable results (not perfect) by rolling off some of the bass on my Tyros. I have used this twice now at my mom's assisted care center. I think for this type of job they are great. I'm thinking about getting a second set and combining them with the first set for the small to medium jobs. Since I paid $109 dollars for my first set and can get the second set for about 60 bucks that would give me 400 watts stereo for about 170 dollars.

Tom

#163258 - 09/15/04 10:57 AM Re: Logitech Z2200 speakers
Dnj Offline

Tom,

Excactly the Z2200's are great for
"SMALL GIGS" in "SMALL ROOMS" ......you also have to keep the Satelites High up on the Stands [4-6ft] letting the Kb speakers fill the middle...I think they're profecient & much less sound intrusive to a very intimate small close audience.
For everythng else I use the bigger appropiate sound amplification required for the job!

#163259 - 09/15/04 04:25 PM Re: Logitech Z2200 speakers
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Quote:
Originally posted by The Pro:
Just to add my $.02 to this discussion...

Well, for $57 these are very good gaming speakers with enough bass to piss off all of your neighbors handily. Great power, but with 2/3 of the power going to the bass and no real EQ other than a volume control for the subwoofer, these speakers are not good for music IMHO.

Jim, I totally dissagree with your assessment of the Z-2200s. The sound quality is superb, and the EQ can easily be controlled with the EQ settings on your keyboard. They have proven themselves excellent for small jobs, particularly in small restaurant/lounge settings, nursing homes, assisted living centers and small parties.

Spec-wise and especially price-wise (while the rebate is on) the Z-2200 system is good for what it's made for - computer games. They would be clumsy and fragile for gigging and I don't like the muddy bass-heavy sound for music - I'll be keeping my Motion Sound amps, thank you very much.

While any sound system can be used for computer games, the Z-2200 system can be used for a multitude of audio applications. It works extremely well in studio settings, however, if the studio is nothing more than a spare bedroom that is used an office and has a bunch of music equipment in there as well it's not really a studio. I've heard them in a recording studio, one where the walls, cielings and other surfaces were covered special, accustic surfaces that absorbed all sound. Under these conditions they sounded outstanding. If they're being used in a small room with hard surfaces the sound will bounce around like a ping-pong ball and obviously not sound suitable.

I've hooked up my keyboard to the Motion Sound systems and was not impressed. Granted, I only played with them for about 45 minutes, but that was sufficient time for me to decide there was something better, especially in that price range--that's why I went to the Barbettas and have never looked back. As for the Z-2200s, they'll be on the job with me next week at one of the assisted living centers.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#163260 - 09/15/04 10:18 PM Re: Logitech Z2200 speakers
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I've used the Logitechs several times at the supper club and get nothing but good comments. I used Hank The Lurker's Motion Sound last Friday and was disappointed. Tonight I took the Barbettas and got a couple of comments like "I'm glad you brought the good equipment again". They didn't like the way the Motion Sound system sounded.
Since I've become accustomed to hearing the Barbettas, it's hard to listen to anything else.
DonM

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online