SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#153500 - 09/11/04 06:00 PM Any help to sing better on pitch?
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
I think I've posted about vocal training for myself on here (I guess those threads are gone) but this isn't about me. I made a new friend down here and she happens to be pretty hot. But that's beside the point, eh?

So, she likes to sing and we became friends and I have worked up some songs for her where I play guitar for her and she sings. Her voice is very unique. It's different and very sexy. She's 31 but sounds like a little kid. Her voice is kind of wispy or airy sounding. She likes Norah Jones. She reminds me of the Aussie Kasey Chambers except Kasey Chambers' voice is more gravelly. She also reminds me kinda of the girl who sings lead with The Indigo Girls.

Anyway, my friend... if she has any downfall, it's going flat on notes. Sometimes when she does a song well, it is outstanding. But often, she goes flat.

ALSO... sometimes she canNOT start on the right key. I will know the key of the song. I'll start in "G" or whatever and she'll be nowhere near "G." (To me, that's a pretty serious downfall for a singer.) I will sing the opening note, have her hit it and then she'll wander right back off of it and be singing in something totally different. This embarrasses her but hey, what can I do? I just try to find whatever key she happens to be in. It gets awkward.

So, reason for the post... this girl really wants to sing. But I think she has no prayer if she doesn't get better. And to me, it seems, either you have it or you don't. She doesn't have it. But I was wondering if you guys think with maybe vocal training, could she learn this?

Some singers nail every note. Heck, I go flat on some notes and I go "Ugh, that sucked." But her problem is quite serious. I'll put it this way... I think it (now) keeps her from being able to pull this off. Her voice is VERY unique and she picks out some really cool songs to do. And that is all good. But flat is not.

#153501 - 09/11/04 07:49 PM Re: Any help to sing better on pitch?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
All of the voice training in the world will not help if she doesn't have an ear, and from what you have described, this is the likely scenario.

Good luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#153502 - 09/11/04 09:06 PM Re: Any help to sing better on pitch?
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Here's my 2 cents:

Make a few recordings of her, and play them back. If she can identify where she's off - then vocal training will help. If not she doesn't "have it".

#153503 - 09/11/04 09:17 PM Re: Any help to sing better on pitch?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by SemiLiveMusic:

Anyway, my friend... if she has any downfall, it's going flat on notes. Sometimes when she does a song well, it is outstanding. But often, she goes flat.

SemiLiveMusic,

The fact that 'sometimes' she sings a song well (and in tune) gives me the impression that her problem is mostly due her lack of the knowledge of vocal 'support' and vocal production techique. I think the right vocal coach can teach her the basic mechnanics of singing: diaphramic breathing & support, breath control, and vocal placement, of which applies to no matter what type of music one sings (from opera to jazz, to hiphop). I feel the important thing to look for in a vocal coach (especially pop style music) is someone who can help her to bring out her own unique sounding voice, and not turn her into a generic sounding perfect pitch singer (boring). I suggest checking out the good vocalists performing in your area and find out who they use when they have vocal problems (and we all do). Another suggestion is to checkout the local colleges in your area and have her enroll in a voice class, and better yet, something I recommend to ALL aspiring singers & musicians out there, enroll in an 'ear training' class. The ability to recognize & sing all intervals (both ascending & descending) as well as the chords (in all inversions) can do wonders in improving ones ear & musicianship. I have observed first hand many a music student who couldn't sing in tune before, eventually become terrific singers as a result of ear training.

The great thing is that there are some terrific computer programs which include ear training tutorials. I like to use these myself to brush up on my interval recognition.

Here are a few 'ear training' programs to checkout:
http://www.harmony-central.com/Software/Windows/ear_training.html

Quote:
Originally posted by SemiLiveMusic:

ALSO... sometimes she can NOT start on the right key. I will know the key of the song. I'll start in "G" or whatever and she'll be nowhere near "G."

Whenever I accompany a singer (on the piano) especially begining singers or ones I've not worked with before, I always remember to play a strong intro with a I-VI-II-V7-I or IV-V7-I turnaround, with the dominant V7 chord leading into I (the first chord of the song). The strong V7-I chrod progression greatly assists the singer into getting into the proper key and hitting the right beginning note.

I can't say whether vocal training will actually help 'her' or not, but being a voice teacher myself, I have seen great improvement, especially if her problem has more to do with vocal technique then a tin ear. The fact that you say she's able to sing on key in some instances makes me believe their may be hope (as a singer) for her. Good luck.

Scott

------------------
http://scottyee.com

#153504 - 09/12/04 05:46 AM Re: Any help to sing better on pitch?
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:

Whenever I accompany a singer (on the piano) especially begining singers or ones I've not worked with before, I always remember to play a strong intro with a I-VI-II-V7-I or IV-V7-I turnaround, with the dominant V7 chord leading into I (the first chord of the song).

Okay, thanks, that makes sense.

and better yet, something I recommend to ALL aspiring singers & musicians out there, enroll in an 'ear training' class.

You mean at a college, they have these or somewhere else?

#153505 - 09/12/04 06:40 AM Re: Any help to sing better on pitch?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Most community colleges offer voice training courses, and some offer them as evening classes. If she is serious about a singing career, and if she does not have a tin ear, I would highly recommend the community college route. It's not very expensive, and usually is a one or two night a week program. However, if she has a tin ear, the program will be of no benefit. I have auditioned dozens of female vocalist over the past five years, many of which could sing a few songs well, but the vast majority could not carry a tune in a five gallon bucket. Some folks just can't sing! Give it a shot--the only thing she has to loose is the tuition, and that doesn't amount to much at the community college level.

Gary

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#153506 - 09/12/04 07:15 PM Re: Any help to sing better on pitch?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Lower necklines and higher hemlines will make the flat notes almost disappear!

#153507 - 09/13/04 01:09 AM Re: Any help to sing better on pitch?
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
Scott is spot on.

So is UD for that matter.

#153508 - 09/13/04 04:45 AM Re: Any help to sing better on pitch?
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Or buy a Roland Discover 5. This board has a setting to Auto adjust your voice pitch.

#153509 - 09/13/04 08:36 AM Re: Any help to sing better on pitch?
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
1. Let her sing without you playing, the tune she is having trouble with.
2. Find out what key she is singing in.
3. play an intro in that key let her sing and see what happens.

Give her a few shots. If, after playing the intro like I said and she sings in a different key after several tries, like Gary said, she's helpless.

Some people can listen to a note 50 times with 50 tries and can never hit the note on pitch.

I hear people talk about so and so has perfect pitch because he can sing any note you name. I can do this and I'm sure others here can do it also.

HOwever for me to do it you have to hit me a C note to get in my head and then I can sing the dom 7th, MAJ 7th so on and so forth. Those of you who think you can't, practice it. You'll be surprised.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online