SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#163164 - 09/14/06 08:11 PM Re: Another song
FAEbGBD Offline

Loc: Nashvville TN
Then all I can say is that I'm listening to the wrong recording. along with all the technical guitar reasons I mentioned above, I had also mentioned that it sounded like it was taken from a cassette tape because of the hiss. Craig said there was absolutely no hiss in the recording.

Here is an example. At the very end of the song. I did not run this file through any outboard gear of any kind, all I did was compress it heavily from withing my computer to accentuate this noise. It definitely sounds like cassette tape noise to me, doesn't it? www.roryhoffman.com/noise.mp3
`So one thing is certain, there is substantial hiss in the recording, which Craig garanteed there was not.

secondly, play that song, or my sound clip, against your keyboard. It is not in tune. So, this was obviously not recorded at 440 hz, which virtually all recordings are made at now. Which is another reason I'd guess it came from a tape, because tape players are not always 100% reliable that the tape is spinning at the correct speed.

Both of these elements, combined with the technical musicianship things I mentioned, leaves me with only 2 conclusions. Either I'm totally losing it and I should quit the music business, or I'm listening to a different file than you all are.

And with that, I'll go away and never make another post on this thread again. I don't think being skeptical is illegal, and I'm sorry to admit, but I am skeptical.

#163165 - 09/14/06 08:31 PM Re: Another song
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Rory, it was my understanding given to me by Craig that the guitar lick ending was a pre-recorded (by him) WAV sequence created earlier in ProTools, then imported as a wav file into the T2 and triggered live via Multipad. I suspect whatever hiss heard at the very end may be an artifact of the recorded wav file, and not remotely as noticeable as heard after you amplified it thru heavy compression. No noise is detected (at least by me) in any other part of song, especially having the opportunity to possess the original uncompressed WAV file. - Scott

#163166 - 09/14/06 08:43 PM Re: Another song
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by FAEbGBD:
And with that, I'll go away and never make another post on this thread again. I don't think being skeptical is illegal, and I'm sorry to admit, but I am skeptical.

Please "don't do that". Rory, your expertise & opinions (including honest skepticism) are respected by many (including myself) here. On the same account, I also attest to Craig_UK's honesty in his explanation how he produced this song. - Scott

#163167 - 09/14/06 08:45 PM Re: Another song
loungelyzard Offline

Loc: North Eastern Calif.
FAEbGBD

I have spent a lifetime with a guitar in my hands (65 years playing) and this is not the real thing my friend, but its the closest i've ever heard from a keyboard. I also know Craig and can vouche that he is very talented on keys and has many years of experience in computer/software skills. Also I will say that this man would never misrepresent what he created,not even a reason for that. Maybe if you havn't heard this on a clear copy your ears may have been deceived. Also most of us really are not sure just how he achieved this, since what he accomplished is something very clever and ground breaking in its scope.
Give a fellow brother the benefit of your doubt since he has a better view of whats taking place, If I'm wrong maybe we could do lunch, I would need salt and pepper if it's crow...........Pose

#163168 - 09/14/06 10:30 PM Re: Another song
nielshs Offline

Hi

I have just downloadet the song from BearShare. It is not Craig but Tommy Emanuel & Chet Atkins playing. Shame on you Craig.
You can download it here at [url=Http://www.solomusikeren.dk/Saltwater.mp3][url=Http://www.solomusikeren.dk/Saltwater.mp3][url=Http://www.solomusikeren.dk/Saltwater.mp3]Http://www.solomusikeren.dk/Saltwater.mp3[/url][/url][/url]

Regards Niels

[This message has been edited by nielshs (edited 09-14-2006).]

#163169 - 09/14/06 11:23 PM Re: Another song
Spalding1 Offline

Loc: birmingham,england
Diki it apears that you are right.... I am really upset by this, not just because it appears that craig has decieved us but also that for some reason he felt that he needed to. I am an amateur musician and have held back from posting any of my music on my PAX on the zone because of the critiscing and back biting spirit that has emerged on the zone . Something seriuosly wrong has happened to this forum and i cant tell you how dissapointed the recent months squabbling and now this apparent trechery has made me feel. And its not the first time a member has posted material on the zone that they claimed authorship to and it turned out that it was not theirs.

Nigel you have a real problem on your hands and i dont know how you are going to sort this one out.

As for me, I have had a belly full. I am going to take a vacation from the Zone. Good luck everyone.

#163170 - 09/14/06 11:42 PM Re: Another song
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Actually, I was wrong, and actually believed Craig. Shame on me. It's hard to imagine anyone behaving as crass and infantile as this being able to keep any kind of playing job....... Oh, that's right, he admits to being semi-pro. Probably got a gig at his granny's old folks home where he mimes to MP3's. 'Keepin' it real.......' ROLFMAO

I have already stated in another thread that if Craig is not banned permanently for this outrage, I will never visit this site again.

If the moderators don't come down on this childish behavior like a ton of bricks, what confidence can anyone have they are not wasting their time coming here......?

And if Craig just thinks this is a joke, it's about as funny as a car bomb is religious.......

#163171 - 09/15/06 12:02 AM Re: Another song
FAEbGBD Offline

Loc: Nashvville TN
Was it Squeak, a couple months ago, who was talking about we're going to get so used to how our keyboards sound that when we hear the real thing we will say it sounds wrong? I'm paraphrasing, but that was brought up here not too awfully long ago. Makes this "mine is better than yours" crap all the more rediculous, because a percentage of the pros here don't think Chet and Tommy are even good enough sounds for real guitars.

#163172 - 09/15/06 12:22 AM Re: Another song
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
After listening to both songs, well, yes they are the same thing.

Nielshs,
you should be an investigator. LOL. Thank you for finding out.

Members of the Zone,
please, read Rory's posts and take a look on what is the right way, IMHO, to express criticism, comments, and opinions on someone's work. The right way. The civilised way. The way we all should follow.

Rory,
congratulations for pointing out your thoughts, congratulations for the way you pointed them out, congratulations for getting ready to take the blame for a supposed error of judgement when others thought otherwise. Stick around and don't leave the forum. You are invaluable.
Theodore

P.S.
Please, everyone, leave Nigel to decide what he is going to do and what he is not going to do.

This forum is a comfortable bus, it travels us around in the wonderful world of music AND knowledge, but it belongs to Nigel, and Nigel is the only one here with a driver's licence. We are only the passengers. If someone near you is farting, feel free to change your seat. If you don't like the way Nigel drives, press the button, wait for the bus to stop, and get off. That is my opinion, thank you very much. I am not talking about anyone in particular.

#163173 - 09/15/06 12:33 AM Re: Another song
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
hmmmm ... I'm just going to let this thread roll on for a while for people to have their say.

Craig do you have a response to this strange situation???

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online