SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#163134 - 09/13/06 04:19 AM Re: Another song
RobertG Offline

Loc: Southeastern PA, USA
Craig: Nicely polished song. Very live sounding.

1. Same as everyone else, please provide details on how you created this. Arrange/Styles/Midi Files/Dubbed live/Soft Synths/Post Processes/etc.

2. I recommend you look at putfile.com for uploading. It doesn't but the listener through all the steps that the service you used does.

#163135 - 09/13/06 04:58 AM Re: Another song
zuki Offline

Lounge - thanks for the help, able to get on and take a listen to a nice sounding piece.

Me too: how was the song done?

zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#163136 - 09/13/06 05:09 AM Re: Another song
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Craig, great work. Thanks for sharing.
DonM

#163137 - 09/13/06 06:07 AM Re: Another song
Craig_UK Offline

Loc: UK
Hi there, thanks for the comments.

The style you hear was created by myself using Pro Tools as I couldn't find an internal style to fit to this song.
The style was made in the traditional way by playing the bass parts in (TVN sounds on T2), snare, hi-hat, cymbals all one at a time, bars looped etc as anyone would make a pattern. It was then all saved as a WAV file and loaded back into the T2 so I then had my style for the entire song just leaving the actual song to play.

The acoustic guitar is a very large sampled sound loaded into the T2 as a custom TVN then edited further to bring up the fret slide noises and a little bit more reverb(Too large for live use due to a long loading time but ideal for studio/home recording use).

There are 2 takes in total. 1st take was playing the main song missing out the tricky parts. 2nd take was playing in the diminished chord runs and the run down at the end.

The pitch bend wheel was used along with velocity triggering for the pitch.
I can pitch bend one note then add another note in half way through the bend if needed, but whilst my pitch bend wheel is up pressing harder on the keys actually raises the notes up further, so doing all of this quickly creates the slide effect.

I also had 3 different registrations set up with different amounts of bend on each of them so I could swap.

I think if this was done using an arranger style it would be pretty much impossible fighting with the pitch bend and playing chords at the same time. Doing the style beforehand free'd up my left hand so I could get to the pitch wheel and reg changes far easier.

#163138 - 09/13/06 07:34 AM Re: Another song
gilbert Offline

Loc: Oelsnitz /E Germany
Hi Graig,
Just had to post on this one,best guitar perfomance on an arranger that I have heard,Excellent work,lets have more please,
Gilbert.

#163139 - 09/13/06 07:51 AM Re: Another song
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
Sounds like a record...
and that is a compliment.

#163140 - 09/13/06 08:31 AM Re: Another song
Chris Valenti Offline

Loc: Florida

#163141 - 09/13/06 08:57 AM Re: Another song
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Three suggestions.

1. Try to find something other than Rapidshare. I had to download twice and always dread seeing Rapidshare.

2. In the future, consider putting the song title in your post (EDIT: *AND* in the subject/title) so people can find this thread in a search in the future.

3. Do another song!

This is amazing, Craig. Best arranger recording I've ever heard. I would actually play this song for enjoyment just because it's gorgeous.

Thanks to Scott for posting what it is, I was not familiar with this song and I am a Beatles nut and big Lennon fan. This is a great song and I love the lyric as well. The song sounds amazingly Beatlish.

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

[This message has been edited by SemiLiveMusic (edited 09-13-2006).]

#163142 - 09/13/06 09:24 AM Re: Another song
Craig_UK Offline

Loc: UK
I'll stick with something like 4shared in the future. I thought rapidshare was popular with other people posting stuff to it, I didn't realise it was a pain in the butt to get stuff off it

I missed the title out on purpose as I wanted to see if anyone actually knew the song first before I mentioned what it was called (I did tell Scott on Skype lol).
If I had put 'Saltwater' I was thinking some SZ users may have thought never heard of that and would have passed the post by.

Thanks everyone, guess I'm going to have to put my thinking cap on for a follow up song.

#163143 - 09/13/06 09:25 AM Re: Another song
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Do you play the guitar, Craig? Your ear seems exceptionally well tuned to guitaristic voicing and idioms......

In a way, I'm glad you didn't do this one in arranger mode for two reasons - firstly, I've been racking my brain trying to figure out how you could do those bends and still play the chords!!

And secondly, I am glad you will admit that there are things that you just can't do in arranger mode. The whole 'arranger mode vs. SMFs' debate always seems to favor players who claim they do EVERYTHING in arranger mode, but here is a perfect example of a brilliant track that cannot be played in arranger mode, but could, if you set it up right, be gotten VERY close using an SMF for the backing and using your left hand a lot more for the bender.

The track still uses the arranger mode, to create the backing, but then demands both hands to play well. A perfect example of the fact that BOTH types of modes have their uses. Slavishly, stubbornly staying with arranger mode ONLY, only serves to limit what you can play, something we should all try to avoid.

Kudos, again to Craig - not only for the song, but also the willingness to do music in whatever mode best works..........

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online