SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#162703 - 04/12/03 08:58 AM FORGET ABOUT THE GEAR ... it's all about the energy
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I was blindsided this week after work on Saturday night. The owner and one (of the MANY) managers called me in for a little pow wow .... behind closed doors. The conversation started:
"Dave .... we have a problem with the music..."

This can't be a good thing, I thought. I let him elaborate, and we came to the conclusion that in the short one month that this new, beautiful place has been open ...... the crowds that have been coming in are not the ones they expected. They want a younger, later, less formal crowd than they attract, and they thought that MAYBE the music was part of the "lure" to the older crowd.

I didn't respond immediately, trying to engage my brain before enabling my lips. I was able to discern that no one was unhappy with my performance, but perhaps, the MO of the electronic instruments (though, impressive sonically) were falling short of the "look" or the "feel" that they tried to generate in the room. Puzzled? I'll go on.

I asked "What do you want me to play?"
They responded: "More contemporary"
I asked "You mean, new music that's on the radio?"
They said "No, not the top 40 stuff"
I asked "Give me an example of the type of artist that would satisfy you?"
They replied ..... "Hmmmm, I'm not sure"
I suggested, maybe Dave Matthews, John Mayer? That kind of acoustic energy?
They were still unsure. After examining the request, I determined that the digitally enhanced performance was taking over the musician's input, and the management was watching a polished, sophisticated, complicated ........... but also ..... automatic, boring presentation of 30 - 50 year old songs.
This may be a little harsh, since the age group that was coming in was very responsive to the music, and the presentation ..... still, something was missing.

To (attemt to) sum up this long story - They gave me a deadline to try and convince them that I could turn the tables and reconfigure the entertainment element to attract more of the late-night professional bar crowd that they want, so I suggested more of an acoustic feel, with the keyboard as the second fiddle, instead of the solo violinist.

I played 2 sets on guitar last night, using the drums a few times and a few (very few) sequences to add a little flavor and rhythm. This was huge to them. (go figure)
3rd set I played more kb's and concentrated on energy, and presentation ..... and the result was predictable.
The older, dining crowd was walking out after dinner holding their ears and giving me funny looks that said "what happened to that nice quiet guy that was here yesterday????"
But the mangers, were smiling ............ (NOW what !)

Last set - I arranged for a friend to come in and sit in on guitar/vocals, and the room came alive with dancing, singing, silliness ..... and all sorts of energy that was derived from the simple fact that a new "something" was happening. I've had this same reaction many times during the last set before ... the drinks have kicked in, the dinner is over, the lights have been turned down ..... it's a party.
The fact remains ...... the whole mood of the room changed with a simple shift of energy. That's the point of the story. It didn't matter what songs I played, or what instrument I used .... it all came down to the energy. I think the room will turn into a "TGI Friday's" atmosphere during dinner, and the live entertainment will start later, to attract the late comers. I doubt that I'll make the cut, because the late night barflies don't want as many oldies as I play. Such is life, I guess.

I only told this story to emphasize the fact that equipment doesn't make the performance. We talk about gear all day, every day here, and I LOVE it, but let's not loose sight of the fact that gear doesn't kill dance floors .... people do.

Dust off your shtick, dig into your "forgotten" repertoire and keep your eyes on the crowd. You have to earn the right to play with EACH performance. I was a victim of complacency, and it may mean that I will be changing locations next month. Don't get all wrapped up in the technicalities, and forget to PLAY THE MUSIC. Forget about music-finders, and transpose buttons ....... grab the instrument with both hands and PLAY THE SUCKER. Reach into your soul, pull out your guts and spread them on the floor so people can dance all over them. This business can be so exciting, but the automation is robbing us of some of that element that causes the excitement.!!!!

I can't say this enough - TURN OFF the auto junk sometimes, and just PLAY. You need to get back to roots and show yourself (and the crowd) the reason you became a player in the first place.

If you are just beginning - LEARN the basics!
If you are a part-timer .... Raise your sights and play out more (even for free)
If you are a pro - Remember that there are TONS of "out of work" players that want YOUR job, so sharpen your axe and start woodsheding ! Get the energy back, and spotlight your strengths ...... who cares about the next generation XYZ64,000 ?!?!?!?!?!
It's got to be about the energy. It's vital. It's HUMAN. It's irreplacable.

Whew........ what a rant. I'm finished now. That was your reality lesson for the week. I gotta go be a DJ tonight.(whoopti-doo .............. well, it's a living )

I'll say it this once ........ Happy gigging everyone !

PLAY those instruments, don't let them PLAY YOU !

#162704 - 04/12/03 09:15 AM Re: FORGET ABOUT THE GEAR ... it's all about the energy
cam8neel Offline

Loc: Providence, RI USA
UD -

I have a take on this subject, a little different than your situation, but the same end result. Up until two years ago, I was one part of a vocal duo. We played at the same bar/club every weekend for well over three years.

The place was packed 90% of the time we were there, so that part was fine. The owners were always happy. But, we found ourselves in a terrible rut, because the crowds we drew into that place wanted to hear the same songs every single night! Whenever we tried to alter the sets, or drop a song to replace it with something fresher, we didn't receive a favorable response. They wanted the same-ole same-ole, even to the point of noticing which order we played the songs! In retrospect, I think we caused our own problems by 'programming' the crowd.

But, I am in agreement with you on one very important fact: the necessity to 'change it up' every now and then. Friends, don't get caught creating the 'monster' we ended up creating.

...there...I've said it again...

Angelo

[This message has been edited by cam8neel (edited 04-12-2003).]

#162705 - 04/12/03 11:25 AM Re: FORGET ABOUT THE GEAR ... it's all about the energy
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Last night our gig[job]in Wildwood, NJ , was a slow night[2 inches of rain didn't help], so we tried around 20 new songs [we never did before], and it turned out to be fun. Even our die hard guy lead singer was willing to gamble on the outcome..

#162706 - 04/12/03 11:38 AM Re: FORGET ABOUT THE GEAR ... it's all about the energy
Dnj Offline

You can't blame todays audiences with the over abundence of live vs dj vs who knows what out there. People today are very mixed up when it comes to what they enjoy or where they go to enjoy it versus years ago when there wasn't that much available. I did a big 50th Anniversary last weekend and although my client and 90% of his family and guests danced and enjoyed my music and singing all throughout the affair there were two tables of teens and 20 yr olds where I'd say 8 or 9 of then had headphones on with cd players, they didnt even know I was there or did they even want to be at the affair at all. This world and its music is changing real fast so find your niche, set your groove and ride the train or it will be the last stop for ya if you want to make a living in this game my friends....No Bull!

------------------
www.donnypesce.com

#162707 - 04/12/03 02:05 PM Re: FORGET ABOUT THE GEAR ... it's all about the energy
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
The stark reality of all this is that everyone is right. There is a lot more to this business than sitting or standing at your keyboard night after night and playing the same songs to the same crowd.\

A few years ago, I went through the same scenario as Dave when the owner called me into his office for a private conversation about the music. As Dave said, this was not a good sign. While I had no trouble keeping the place filled with folks that enjoyed the variety of songs I played and sang, I was not attracting the after hours crowd of kids that were jamming into the bars a block away. The bottom line was he dumped me, brought in a coupld DJ's and a Karoke guy who packed the place with adolescents that spent less money, he spent much of his time breaking up fights, and the place developed a reputation as a kids hangout. Consequently, the older, quiet folks that produced 80 percent of his income stopped coming to his place of business.

One of the problems we all face is age. The music we enjoy plaing most is frequently the same music our constantly aging audiences enjoy. Guess what? A lot of those folks are now in their late 60s, early 70s and some are even in their 80s. Additionally, some are dead. While this may be hard to swallow, our audiences, and our favorite entertainers, are all getting old, and some are dying.

Fortunately, there is a refreshing light at the end of the tunnel. Hip Hop and Rap seem to be fading into oblivion, and last week when I played Moonlight Serenade on the 2000, the dance floor was filled with relatively young people, some in the mid 30s, who actually danced while holding their partner closely. At the end of the song, several came up and asked what was the name of that beautiful song and was it something new? My response was, "Whether it's new or not depends on your age."

Damn it, I just wrote another book. Sorry guys and gals,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#162708 - 04/12/03 09:59 PM Re: FORGET ABOUT THE GEAR ... it's all about the energy
The Accordionist Offline

I sure hear what you guys are saying. I'm 36 years old but have been playing the accordion since I was around 10. When I was 16 I played four times a week in a restaurant. Playing the accordion was so uncool, however, that I played in a town about 30 miles away so that I would never run into anybody I knew. Stupid in retrospect, but when I was young I was very concerned with what everybody thought and playing the accordion was about dead last on every girl's list of admirable traits (in fact I think it was right below "prodigous amounts of acne").

Well, I ended up buying a new Camaro my Senior year of High School from all of the gigs I was playing and everyone thought that was cool, but when college came around I dropped it completely. I had been out of the business for about 10 years when I again picked it up last year (I had played piano and keyboards during the interim so I never really "lost" it).

Guess what? Accordion is IN now! What a crack-up. I played for a party in Newport Beach and about 100 people asked for cards and loved the music. La Paloma Blanca and Spanish Eyes are POPULAR again! My wife absolutely hates the women that talk to me all night.

Bottom line is that I think everything is cyclical. Eminem and Snoop Dogg are really in right now, but to me they're not musicians. They don't play instruments or read music. Sure they're creative and talented, I just don't think they're musicians.

I'd take an "old" guy like Uncle Dave playing Misty any day, and my personal opinion is that the world is slowly but surely moving back in that direction.

Now if only somebody would actually request Lady of Spain........

#162709 - 04/12/03 11:05 PM Re: FORGET ABOUT THE GEAR ... it's all about the energy
TERRYC Offline

Loc: St, Petersburg. Florida. u.s.a
I,m fifty six in a couple of weeks and have been performing since I was fourteen.My father was a musician and a band leader on the Queen Elisabeth ocean liner. I grew up with the big bands,and as I developed my ability,diversified to rock, country, and just about every style around.In the sixtees and early seventy,s I toured with a lot of big names .Roy Orbison,Barbara Mandrell,Gladys Knight,and more.I opened their shows and mc,d All over europe in American and Nato military bases.I alway,s tried to stay current and do the music that was popular at the time.And now here I am living in Florida, and playing many of the same songs I played then. Some of the places I play cater to a Young Crowd , and they never cease to amaze me when the ask for songs that I am sure are at least twenty years older than them.Good songs are universal in their appeal. And if performed with energy and enthusiasm,they work just about anywhere.Bottom line,in my opinion is,as uncle Dave and others have said,Play like you mean it and enjoy it,and your audience will too.Trow in some humour,and for your own head learn something new every week.

#162710 - 04/13/03 11:06 AM Re: FORGET ABOUT THE GEAR ... it's all about the energy
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
I go to every Glenn Miller and Tommy Dorsey concert that comes to town.

There's a great old jazz pianist who has a female vocalist and uses a drummer and bass here in Grand Junction, they really inspired me to start playing again.

I like anything meolodic. If the melody is weak so is the performance. There's a dozen people here in town that write and play only there own original stuff. I haven't heard anything that they play that I have to go home and learn right away yet.

Boy I miss the music and the crawfish in New Orleans. If only I could move these Western Rockie Mountains there. For me that would be paradise

#162711 - 04/14/03 07:16 AM Re: FORGET ABOUT THE GEAR ... it's all about the energy
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Saturday night I took a break and walked around the corner from my regular gig to see some of the other musos in my area (there's about three bars with music in a bayside shopping/dining complex). One act was a bald 20-something guitar singer wailing out all the stereotypical Brown Eyed Girl, Take It Easy, Hotel California, American Pie, Margaritaville guitar-singer crap - and it occured to me that all of his music was much older than he was and all of it was predictable. A few doors down was a duo with the exact same motif, probably repeated ad infinitum throughout America. Yep, people were drinking, clapping and singing along... but I wouldn't remember who the act was ten minutes after I heard them. "The Clones" would have been a good band name for them.

So I went back to my gig and laid out a fairly usual set of ultra-modern versions of Take Five, Someone To Watch Over Me, Summer Breeze, As Time Goes By, When You Wish Upon A Star etc... familiar tunes for sure but not done in familiar ways. The audience was polite but sedate... some danced and others listened. People always come up and tell me they enjoy my music. But what do they really think? What keeps me employed is the little survey cards on the tables that people fill out with comments like "the music was EXCELLENT". I have actually never had a bad survey card.

Now the big question - which act would you consider more contemporary: the acts singing the never-ending Buffet/Taylor/CSNY/Eagles tributes or the act playing spacey versions of George Gershwin and Dave Brubeck?

Doesn't matter. I've turned down a lot of requests for "Old Time Rock n Roll" and lived to play another day, despite the predictions of my former bandmates. I had to change venues and even localities more than once to do what I wanted but I am the first-call muso at all of the places I currently play and for all of my private clients. And I love the music I play, or I don't play it. Just because you don't take the easy road doesn't mean you can't take a good road. Word to your soul.

#162712 - 04/14/03 07:18 AM Re: FORGET ABOUT THE GEAR ... it's all about the energy
Uncle Dave Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by The Accordionist:

I'd take an "old" guy like Uncle Dave playing Misty any day.

I'm sure you mean that in a good way, but I actually have a pretty diverse repertoire and I can get quite a bit "hipper" than just the standards crowd. The problem seems to be (at least I THINK it is) my physical appearance is not all that youthful. I have a cueball head and I'm seriously "undertall" for my weight.
So, even if the music is happnin' ... lookin' at a chubby, bald dude with normal clothes isn't the image that this new "Bistro" wants. I'll recover.

I went in last night to get my check, and it was during an "In the biz" night with a DJ. I was there for 20 minutes and I swear, the song NEVER CHANGED. Boom, boom, boom with weird effects, and robot voices ..... must be in a techno vein, I think. I asked the owner if this was the "new direction" he wanted, and he said that it's only for Sunday. He also said that to him (55+ yrs old) it sounds like one 4 hour song each night. It never changes. I'm sure that's a sign of our age and the sparation of the generations but, whew! Boom, boom, boom all night? Yopu'd think even young kids would want to get close and do some touching once in a while too. I guess I'll just accept this as "Aging 101" and see if I can pass the class, and move on.

This situation is exactly why I work with many different clients, instead of tying myself up with just one or two. I lost this job .... so what! It's only ONE client, and not the end of my world. I already have most of the situation covered. It's all about flexibility if you want to survive as a full time player in this very fickle world of entertainment. Ya gotta metamorhasize a few times a night sometimes !

#162713 - 04/14/03 07:39 AM Re: FORGET ABOUT THE GEAR ... it's all about the energy
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
What I'm reading in some of these posts is the old truth that as entertainers, it's not just about pleasing the crowds in attendance, but pleasing the Owners/Managers... who, as in UD's case couldn't even tell him what they wanted ... a guy's apparently got a good, mature clientele, spending money, enjoying themselves, not causing problems, and he wants 'something else' that, as Gary said, might bring more headaches than cash flow ...
We will NEVER be able to figure out this business, so just keep on keepin' on, doing our best to please MOST (?) of the clientele, and hopefully the owners/managers will realize that's what we're doing...

UD ... As I've said before, I might be able to pass as your older, bigger brother, and I often have seen patrons do a 'double take' when they've first heard my voice, and then see my appearance ...

dnj ... "Wearing headphones listening to cd players...."??? Where the heck were their parents to teach them manners and common (I guess it's not so common anymore) COURTESY?!?!? ...

Man, some days I wonder why I'm in this business, but then you get a heart felt "Thank you, the music was GREAT" and I KNOW why....
t.
PS Angeloooo ... how YOU doin'?!?...
t.

#162714 - 04/14/03 08:37 AM Re: FORGET ABOUT THE GEAR ... it's all about the energy
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
dnj ... "Wearing headphones listening to cd players...."??? Where the heck were their parents to teach them manners and common (I guess it's not so common anymore) COURTESY?

Tony,

Forgettabouttit!!! These kids today have no family moral stature. Traditions and alike are out the door! At weddings and most high-end functions I perform at involving families the children, sadly to say, are dressed very inappropriately for the function. This is to include Baggy Pants with the crotch down to their ankles, Big Construction boots with the Tongue hanging out "no Laces of course", Hooded Sweatshirts with the hoods tied tight around their faces, Ski Hats, Stocking Caps, girls and boys with Multiple Tattoos, Multiple Piercings everywhere you can see and then some, Headphones, etc....While I guess it's ok as their generations attire, there is a time and place to dress to suit the occasion. Which in turn gives respect to the family and the people having the affair.
As a musician when the crowd is so vastly mixed you have to be versatile enough to compete musically or face the stark reality that your in the wrong place as a performer for "that gig". This could lead to success or failure depending on your experience.
We are only human and to stay up with the huge musical gender gap that is changing every day you have to use everything available to accomplish that. This could include dyeing your hair darker to look younger, wearing hipper clothes, doing a half Live/half DJ routine etc. Whatever it takes to make your time there a success regardless of "What You Like to Play" this is a job and that’s the bottom line. There’s enough people and diverse contrasts in this big planet, with so many attitudes toward music. All you got to do is find what works for you and the people that want to enjoy what your doing if you got the "Goods" your on your way, if not, its a mean world out there my friends.

------------------
www.donnypesce.com

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 04-14-2003).]

#162715 - 04/14/03 09:02 AM Re: FORGET ABOUT THE GEAR ... it's all about the energy
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
I wish I was as poetic as all you guys. After reading UD's post days ago, two thoughts came to mind: 1. At least the owner of the place talked to Dave in an apparant attempt to give Dave the chance to change the music before giving him his walking papers (but in retrospect, it sounds now more like a courtesy before dropping the other shoe) and, 2. Welcome to middle age, Dave.

One of my 30 year old nephews got married in Orlando, Florida not too long ago. The reception went through the usual routine of greetings, cocktails, dinner, speeches and finally hit the dancing phase...which, again, went through the usual routine starting with a gentle mix of standards, building its way to the music and volume level that bridal party and their peers like.

BTW, a very polished DJ supplied the music and got $800 for the gig. He did not sing..but was an excellent MC and programmer.

Techno, Rap, Hip-Hop, and some old disco favorites dominated the last 2 hours. The dance floor was filled with several tight "clumps" or groups of 12 or more who bumped, thumped and humped to the ear-splitting beat of bass and drums.

The concept and crowd psychology was about the same as when I played in wedding bands years ago...so, while the "songs" were different, the dynamics seemed about the same.

Those dynamics seem pretty consistent in older age groups as well...although the music is entirely different.

What I am trying to say here is, the younger generations are always going to want something newer and more hip than the matured folks...but the matured folks are hip in their own way and "shocked" the generation before them back at that age to.

For the entertainer that has catered to the hip set of the day, it is not the end of the world, but rather a sign to move with his audience to the next step. This means following them to their new venues...the country clubs, fraternal lodges, home owner association parties at rec halls, mobile park rec halls, private house parties, etc.

Ok, so all the jobs are one-nighters...but the money is just as good, the hours better and, when you combine your talent with an attitude of total accomodation to the people who hire you, the feedback, loyalty and repeat bookings you get are very rewarding.

Am I passionate about what I do? You bet! And I am gonna do it for the folks who like what I do for as long as I can. But, I will not take those jobs that I know I am not right for which do not provide me or the audience the pleasure we both seek.

As for the looks thing...that is just God's way of giving the young guys a chance to get going in the business.

Eddie

#162716 - 04/14/03 10:13 AM Re: FORGET ABOUT THE GEAR ... it's all about the energy
Dnj Offline

Great reply Eddie,

You said it all!!!
The road signs are Posted, .....
But which direction will we travel in our Musical Journey into the future?

------------------
www.donnypesce.com

#162717 - 04/14/03 12:28 PM Re: FORGET ABOUT THE GEAR ... it's all about the energy
Leon Offline

Loc: British Columbia
As Joan Rivers would say....Can We Talk...
Interesting points made here. My last solo gig (2 weeks ago) the owner approached me and commented that the feedback he'd gotten from the audience was that they particularly liked the Eagles and Henley stuff I was doing, along with the Phil Collins and Billy Joel. That was great to hear but at the same time it got me wunderin' what was it about those numbers that particularly grabbed them, as the audience was quite varied in age but young, mid, and older were all on the dance floor at some time during the night. Looking at the set lists, I could only come up with the way those songs were done, in relation to others. They all started acoustically, on either guitar or kb, percussion came in gradually, and the songs ended almost the way they began, with more of a string emphasis, so what I had done basically was take them on a little journey through the song and let the music and lyric line paint their own pictures for each listener.

Reality Check: That was this particular venue. There's a pretty good chance it wouldn't go across the same way two blocks down and across the street, but this particular night, everything seemed to click, so I'm leaning towards "If it ain't broke...don't fix it"

Good topic U.D. btw..Is this venue a "regular" gig for you....has management changed hands?? Just wunderin'....

[This message has been edited by Leon (edited 04-14-2003).]

#162718 - 04/14/03 12:36 PM Re: FORGET ABOUT THE GEAR ... it's all about the energy
Dnj Offline

Leon I agree every gig is different,
But SET LISTS? I never used a set list in my 35 yrs of gigging. I just look out there and do what is nessasary to make it a success!!

------------------
www.donnypesce.com

#162719 - 04/14/03 12:59 PM Re: FORGET ABOUT THE GEAR ... it's all about the energy
wrinkles303 Offline

Loc: worthington ,ohio
in the 60's i played 3 to 4 concerts
a week to 10 to 60,000 people with a 5 piece
band
in the 70's i played 6 nights a week to
several thousand people (disco) with a 4 piece
band
in the 80's i played 4 nights a
week to several hundred people with a 3 piece
band
in the 90's i played 2 nights a week to less
than a 100 people with a duo
now my duo plays fridays at the local elks
saturday at local mobile home parks and special jobs during "peak" season.
i guess my point is you don't retire from
show biz.... it retires you.

#162720 - 04/14/03 01:07 PM Re: FORGET ABOUT THE GEAR ... it's all about the energy
Leon Offline

Donny...It's a guide
Lighten Up...

#162721 - 04/14/03 01:30 PM Re: FORGET ABOUT THE GEAR ... it's all about the energy
Dnj Offline

leon,

No offense to you. But I often see bands or whatever performing and the'll use that
SET LIST as a bible. They will not alter from the list no matter what is going on upon the dance floor or in the room at the expense of peoples good time and dancing.Playing disco or rock while people are having dinner etc etc ...why? because they are following their Set List. Yes it might work this time ...but every gig is not the same. Some feel this way.............
"I Did my 4 Sets...Now Pay Me" regardless of the outcome, and usualy they dont have to worry because they wont be playing at that place anymore anyway because of it.
Leon a song list is fine, but for me,
Set Lists are Taboo. Just play the Energy in the room and you'll never go wrong.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 04-14-2003).]

#162722 - 04/14/03 03:07 PM Re: FORGET ABOUT THE GEAR ... it's all about the energy
Leon Offline

Donny...None taken.
When I say a guide, I guess what I mean is that I scope the room days before the gig, unless I know from experience that it's this kind of venue, or that kind of venue. Let's face it..."Misty"...ain't gonna go over to well in Bubba's Wingding DanceHall & Reptile Emporium.....just as "Here's a quarter..Call Someone who cares", wouldn't make it in Vancouver Hilton's Candlelight Room. So I prepare a guide for the night, along with a reserve (more of an emergency) list, let's face it, as you're playing, you can be looking ahead for the next 2 or 3 numbers, particularly if you want to lace them together, with some kind of instrumental piece. That's all I was getting at. Thanx for the constructive critique though.
35 years....hoooo eeeee, Gotcha beat by 3.

#162723 - 04/14/03 04:10 PM Re: FORGET ABOUT THE GEAR ... it's all about the energy
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Donny,
I gotta' agree with Leon. Though we all try to read the audience, and everyone sincerely believes they can, going into a gig without some type of plan or format just doesn't seem like the way to work. I also have sets that I pre-program, and in addition, I have put together gig disks which are nothing more than user files that have been renamed to song titles. For me, this cuts dead time between songs down to a few seconds at best, however, once I determine what the audience wants to hear and dance to that night, I modify my approach in that direction.

One of the main problems is our audiences are becoming far more diverse than they were 20 or 30 years ago. Consequently, during a four-hour performance, you may play everything from Patsy Cline to The Eagles, then throw in a bit of Chuck Berry, followed by Sinatra and a little Bo Didley. Most nights, my audiences range in age from 40 to 80, and for the most part, I'm able to entertain them all. Some, however, cannot be entertained no matter how hard you try and no matter how much enthusiam and energy you put forth.

Bottom line; Donny, you go into every job with a gig plan, but instead of programming the information in your keyboard, it's programmed in your head, When you see which part of the program seems to be working, your brain modifies that venue and kicks things into high gear. That's why you've been so successful over the years, and that's why I'm buyin' the beer when I get to south Jersey in a couple months.

Keep the information flowin' guys,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#162724 - 04/14/03 05:30 PM Re: FORGET ABOUT THE GEAR ... it's all about the energy
Dnj Offline

gary,

A Gig Plan? YES.....I didnt dispute that.

A SET LIST? NO.... I'm a pro and performing random songs out of my head for "Whatever" is called for on THAT Particular gig is essential to the overall success and flow of the job. It also soilidifys my sanity of becoming bored with repetition. We all do it different my friend.

Jam On

#162725 - 04/14/03 05:58 PM Re: FORGET ABOUT THE GEAR ... it's all about the energy
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
I'm on SS. My house is paid for. I get a little brick job everynow and then. I don't have to play music. I can see here that there are a lot of things I wouldn't put up with unless I'd to to make a living at it like some of you folks.

I just want to say it's nice to be in a position so as to have the same attitude as the "Pro". If I don't like it I won't play it. I don't expect to play for many under 40. And I don't want to. Some stuff people call music is loud noise.

I'm not trying to ruffle feathers here. I just have to agree with the Pro on this one.

#162726 - 04/14/03 06:26 PM Re: FORGET ABOUT THE GEAR ... it's all about the energy
Uncle Dave Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Leon:
U.D. - Is this venue a "regular" gig for you....has management changed hands??

No, but I had hoped it might be. This is no big deal loosing one client, but I really had high hopes for it because of the response I was getting from the crowd. I've never been out of work since i started this job, and now is no different. I'll rustle up the work like always. I do mostly private parties anyway, so the steady weekend jobs need to get subbed out alot.
I'll be just fine. The hardest part will be this last weekend. I hate playing the "final days" of any job. It's almost has no point, but the mortagage has to be paid, (as well as my rent!)and you've heard me say this before:
We fed the kids yesterday, and when they woke up today ...... they all wanted to eat again ! So, it's time to "make the donuts ....." I'll just make 'em in different places.

Good stories all ...... ain't show biz grand?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online