SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#147272 - 04/14/03 10:49 AM Hard drive usage on Tyros
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hello

Haven't bought a Tyros yet but am pretty sure that's what I will do.

In the meantime, I thought I'd better get some info on how the hard drive operates on the Tyros.

Since I doubt I will use the Music Finder, (just don't like it, if anybody has any tips that would change my mind, I'd love to hear them. As it is, I think it is just too slow for the gig to suit me.)

I plan on putting all my songs on the hard drive. Rather than change any original factory settings on the Tyros, I plan on making changes, if any on the hard drive. I am planning on having ten catagories with song titles showing with the style name moved way over to the right were it can't be seen unless I want to check later to see what it was.

The ten catagories, some with sub-catagories which I have been using on my version of "gig disks" that I have been using for some time now for my PSR2000 and that I plan to use on the Tyros are as follows:

Ballad
Country
Fox
Latin
Misc
Pop
R&B
Rock
Swing, with subcatagories Big Band Fast
Big Band Medium
Big Band Slow
Combo Fast
Combo Medium
Combo Slow
Waltz

This way I can quickly and easily (I hope) move right to what I want, and be able to see LARGE lettering. BTW, this is SO much quicker than the Music Finder on my PSR2000, it makes me wonder why anyone would really want to use it.

I plan on getting an IBM Travelstar.

My main question at this point is this: While I understand the operation of the hard drive is very fast, I'm wondering how one accesses the hard drive for what I'm talking about doing. How many pushes of a button does it take to get to the hard drive initially, and how many pushes of a button would it take to get back to my catagory "menu" after I finish a song after changing registraions etc. I hope it is a quick and easy process. At least this is what I'm counting on, as I have not seen a Tyros with a hard drive I am only guessing it will be as easy as I want it to be.

As always all comments and suggestions welcome.

Scott Langholff

#147273 - 04/14/03 11:39 AM Re: Hard drive usage on Tyros
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Scott,
I use the music finder on the 2000 a lot, but that's because I custom program the songs to each gig, which I found to be the only way to go. Essentially, the MFD's main directory is stored on the hard drive in my computer. Then, when I'm going to play at a particular location, I merely import the songs that I intend to use for that specific job--not the entire MFD.

The other thing I have done, which has really worked out well, it to put together Gig Disks of styles and rename the styles with song titles. You can usually put about 30 stles on a single floppy disk, which is usually more than enough for two 40-minute sets. Again, for me, not having a Tyros with a hard drive, I merely drag and drop the files from my computer's hard drive to a floppy disk, then access the disk with the keyboard. Loading time is a matter of two or three seconds at best.

The beauty of each technique is they virtually eliminate dead time, however, this means you'll have to pre-program for certain types of jobs. I know from past experience what certain audiences will request, what they like to dance to, and if I have to deviate from the program, another song can be ready to load while I still playing and singing the current number.

The bottom line is with the Tyros, you should be able to do this even faster than I can with the 2000. What you don't want to do is sit at the keyboard and scroll through several hundred songs while the dance floor is filled with people. Scale down and categorize the MFD and I guarantee you'll eliminate dead time, and have a ball playing your new Tyros.

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#147274 - 04/14/03 11:41 AM Re: Hard drive usage on Tyros
Dnj Offline

Scott,

Sounds like a navagational issue for sure. Don't be hasty. Find someone with a Tyros and HD...then go play it,back and forth thru all registrations versus Hd operation and go thru a live gig senario with your settings to see if they sound the same which I doubt thru a totaly different KB. I hated the Music finder for live play for many reasons on my 9k's and 2k [now gone]. This is something only YOU can make a decision with.

------------------
www.donnypesce.com

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 04-14-2003).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online