SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#162723 - 04/14/03 04:10 PM Re: FORGET ABOUT THE GEAR ... it's all about the energy
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Donny,
I gotta' agree with Leon. Though we all try to read the audience, and everyone sincerely believes they can, going into a gig without some type of plan or format just doesn't seem like the way to work. I also have sets that I pre-program, and in addition, I have put together gig disks which are nothing more than user files that have been renamed to song titles. For me, this cuts dead time between songs down to a few seconds at best, however, once I determine what the audience wants to hear and dance to that night, I modify my approach in that direction.

One of the main problems is our audiences are becoming far more diverse than they were 20 or 30 years ago. Consequently, during a four-hour performance, you may play everything from Patsy Cline to The Eagles, then throw in a bit of Chuck Berry, followed by Sinatra and a little Bo Didley. Most nights, my audiences range in age from 40 to 80, and for the most part, I'm able to entertain them all. Some, however, cannot be entertained no matter how hard you try and no matter how much enthusiam and energy you put forth.

Bottom line; Donny, you go into every job with a gig plan, but instead of programming the information in your keyboard, it's programmed in your head, When you see which part of the program seems to be working, your brain modifies that venue and kicks things into high gear. That's why you've been so successful over the years, and that's why I'm buyin' the beer when I get to south Jersey in a couple months.

Keep the information flowin' guys,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#162724 - 04/14/03 05:30 PM Re: FORGET ABOUT THE GEAR ... it's all about the energy
Dnj Offline

gary,

A Gig Plan? YES.....I didnt dispute that.

A SET LIST? NO.... I'm a pro and performing random songs out of my head for "Whatever" is called for on THAT Particular gig is essential to the overall success and flow of the job. It also soilidifys my sanity of becoming bored with repetition. We all do it different my friend.

Jam On

#162725 - 04/14/03 05:58 PM Re: FORGET ABOUT THE GEAR ... it's all about the energy
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
I'm on SS. My house is paid for. I get a little brick job everynow and then. I don't have to play music. I can see here that there are a lot of things I wouldn't put up with unless I'd to to make a living at it like some of you folks.

I just want to say it's nice to be in a position so as to have the same attitude as the "Pro". If I don't like it I won't play it. I don't expect to play for many under 40. And I don't want to. Some stuff people call music is loud noise.

I'm not trying to ruffle feathers here. I just have to agree with the Pro on this one.

#162726 - 04/14/03 06:26 PM Re: FORGET ABOUT THE GEAR ... it's all about the energy
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by Leon:
U.D. - Is this venue a "regular" gig for you....has management changed hands??

No, but I had hoped it might be. This is no big deal loosing one client, but I really had high hopes for it because of the response I was getting from the crowd. I've never been out of work since i started this job, and now is no different. I'll rustle up the work like always. I do mostly private parties anyway, so the steady weekend jobs need to get subbed out alot.
I'll be just fine. The hardest part will be this last weekend. I hate playing the "final days" of any job. It's almost has no point, but the mortagage has to be paid, (as well as my rent!)and you've heard me say this before:
We fed the kids yesterday, and when they woke up today ...... they all wanted to eat again ! So, it's time to "make the donuts ....." I'll just make 'em in different places.

Good stories all ...... ain't show biz grand?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online