SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#162648 - 10/01/05 08:29 PM Casio WK Improvements
casiobot Offline

Never too early to get started on the next Casio.I'll start with a few stems...

Since the soundset is vastly improved for the WK3700(probably in response to Rolands EXR's) I think Casio should take a giant leap forward and give us a 16 track on board sequencer w/ 64 poly.EXR's had a 16/64 too,but NO MIXER!!!..which was a very bad idea,which is probably why Roland released updated versions of these 'boards
(or at least,one would *hope*)

Pattern-based recording should make a return also,with the ability to string patterns into songs.

Stereo outs,no matter the model number.If Casio needs to save us money,get rid of the floppy and just stick with SM,SD or CF. One Gig capacity card,as long as we're at it..
All of that lovely ZPI sound going through a mono out is just criminal.

MIDI In/Out AND Thru-This was on the CTK-670 and that 'board is 15 years old!

Tempo sense feature-Without benefit of a backing rhythm,you play your song and the 'board senses the tempo and gives you a MM reading so you can dial it in.A real time saver!

Make one of the rhythm settings just a plain old click beat.This too was on the CTK-670.

Global Reverb and Compression-Use each alone or together-5 types each.

40,000 note capacity(Like the Old MZ2000)

I don't want much,I guess ha-ha

your turn...

[This message has been edited by casiobot (edited 10-01-2005).]

#162649 - 10/01/05 08:49 PM Re: Casio WK Improvements
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
On the new WK3200 and WK3700 Casio made one of the user styles a plain clickbeat
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#162650 - 10/02/05 06:37 AM Re: Casio WK Improvements
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Casiobot,
I too would love to see some of these changes like they had on the MZ-2000. You have to keep in mind though that the MZ-2000 was a VERY expensive keyboard in the Casio line up.

People weren't use to seeing a Casio that cost over $1,000. They were know for that affordable keyboard.

If Casio added 16 tracks, 40, notes, style recording, (pattern chaining--which I don't know of any arranger having this feature because you find it on synths), and more poly, Casio would have to without a doubt jack the price (considerably).

They added the new features to the current models (even though not huge), and didn't jack prices. I think that alone is a statement for them.

Maybe they could make more of a step up between model. Example say release a WK-3300 that has some slight improvements over the 3200, and release a 3800 that has HUGE changes, such as 16 tracks, ect. However I don't see them doing this. If you add a 16 track 40,000 note sequencer, style recording with pattern chaining, 64 note poly, you almost have the MZ-2000 (minus the full draw bars and voice editing).

Squeak

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 10-02-2005).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#162651 - 10/04/05 11:52 AM Re: Casio WK Improvements
casiobot Offline

Another thing that costs money is this "split model" nonsense.Why release two versions of the practical same thing when thing 2 is slightly higher because of a floppy drive?Drop the floppy,stick with SM SD or CF and put all of your energy into *one* really excellent keyboard.

I don't think the price point would go sky-high with the inclusion of a 16 track sequencer,but maybe it would be a good idea
to start small and ask for a 12 track sequencer instead.That would double the capacity as it stands now and,maybe,it would be all that anyone needsfor a long time to come.

The fact remains though that the Casio sound set is making rapid improvements and it should have a sequencer to match.Would I be wrong in stating that the ZPI technology is head and shoulders above the MZ2000?Probably not.And,increasingly when Keyboard prices in the pro range are all but ridiculous,Casio has provided a real alternative.

#162652 - 10/04/05 12:17 PM Re: Casio WK Improvements
acoustictones Offline

Loc: Lakeville, MN
How about making a WK Rack?!?!?!?!?!? Include all of the features of the WK-3700, but without the floppy, and I would bet they could sell a ton of them for the same price that the WK-3700 is selling for (about $300-400). But I would think they could do it for less due to the fact that there are NO speakers and NO keys...how much would it really cost? How many would by it for say $249? The organ sims along are worth that to me.

#162653 - 10/04/05 12:17 PM Re: Casio WK Improvements
LindaFus Offline

Loc: Ledyard, CT USA
Casiobot,

The ZPI sound in the new WK-3700 is what I believe to be improved over the MZ2000. The ZPI sound system was part of the MZ2000 as I recall. I owned an MZ2000 for awhile and I really have to give the WK-3700 tones the edge.

Yes, it would be nice to have a larger sequencer however, this board hooks so easily to my computer and cakewalk that it is not an issue for me.

I have my WK-3500 and I think I am going to sell it. I am not using it at all now. Anyone interested please email me. As always, it is in excellent condition like new and I have all the original packaging.

Thanks!

-Linda

#162654 - 10/04/05 04:17 PM Re: Casio WK Improvements
kdistefano Offline

Linda,

Does the 3700 really sound THAT much better than the 3500? Is it just a few of the sounds that are better or have they all been upgraded? Has anyone posted a review on the web yet?

Thanks,
Ken

#162655 - 10/04/05 04:47 PM Re: Casio WK Improvements
casiobot Offline

I think it's a bit early for a standard review as of yet.You can take a listen here:
http://www.casio-europe.com/euro/emi/wk3700/sound/

...and decide for yourself....

I don't know whether these are improved standard tones or totally new tones,but the piano,sax and guitar have my vote..

#162656 - 10/04/05 07:10 PM Re: Casio WK Improvements
kdistefano Offline

those sound demos are very nice... if that's the standard quality for all the advanced tones (ie most if not all of the waveforms have been updated) then it's going to be worth it for me to sell my wk3000 and upgrade to a wk3200. If it's just a few select tones that have been replaced then i'll wait. I love my wk3000 btw.

#162657 - 10/05/05 12:44 AM Re: Casio WK Improvements
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
In my naive opinion, a rack version is not going to sell well, if at all.
Considering that Casio's target market (and as a result to that, Casio's reputation) is leaning heavily into home players and beginners, they won't buy it.
Home players need "instant gratification" things. Plug and play, touch a finger or two in the left side of the keyboard and "wow, it's a Dm accompaniment, lets play some notew on the right side now".
Racks need setup, separate midi controllers, midi cables lying around, a more elaborate stand, 3 wall outlets (rack, speakers, contoller) or a T electrical adapter etc.

Imagine getting a nephew of yours a present like that:

"Here boy, is the rack unit, it is small and covered in buttons, it connects to the master keyboard via midi cables, and you can divide it into zones, and your mother is going to freak out seeing all those cables slithering on the floor, and by the way go fetch your speakers so we can hear what's going on".

True, it would be good to be able to choose a decent controller or add some new sounds to your existing setup without having to buy a new keyboard measuring three feet across, but people needing these are very few, I believe.

[This message has been edited by trident (edited 10-05-2005).]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online