SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#162511 - 11/22/06 01:06 PM How to get a Break/Fill on a Roland...
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
"I've often envied the Yamaha Break/Fill concept over the Roland Break/Mute system. The basic difference is, instead of Roland's Break/Mute, which silences the arranger section completely until the start of the next bar, Yamaha's system has the drummer (and sometimes bass player and even, when necessary, some instrument parts), towards the end of the break, play a little 'pickup' into the next bar.

I find this FAR more musical, and far more typical of what a real drummer and band would do - even when asked for a complete break, most drummers at least keep time with a quiet foot-closed hi-hat on the beat....!

So how can we do this on a G70? Here's a way....."

Rest of the article here; http://www.selskabsmusikeren.dk/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=60&topic=1778.new#new

#162512 - 11/22/06 01:42 PM Re: How to get a Break/Fill on a Roland...
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Diki, you can do what I do on the G1000..if you don't want a complete muted break[sometimes this works well too]..I just push the volume button and mute the accomp section, this allows my break of drums and bass for as long as I want, still following my chord changes. One measure or a number of measures..I am sure it is just as easy on the G70..

#162513 - 11/22/06 02:14 PM Re: How to get a Break/Fill on a Roland...
Diki Offline

Well, Fran, it's not quite the same thing, because you DO want the drums and bass to stop for at least the first beat or two (or three!), and then the pickup back to the whole band.

So your system has you first hit the Break/Mute, THEN hit the accomp mute, THEN hit a fill, THEN, at the end of the fill, hit the Accomp mute again to switch the band back on..... That's a lot to accomplish live, especially as you are probably REAL busy with singing or an instrumental fill (or both!).

I'm talking about a Break/Fill, not a breakdown, where the drums and bass keep going. Roland's G70 allows you to accomplish THAT with a D-Beam control, if you wish, but a real Break/Fill is currently just not an option....

#162514 - 11/22/06 02:30 PM Re: How to get a Break/Fill on a Roland...
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I do miss that option. A lot of old rock n' roll songs need a break fill. Some of the styles have it built in to a variation, but that doesn't work for every song.
DonM

#162515 - 11/22/06 03:06 PM Re: How to get a Break/Fill on a Roland...
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Diki nope. Not that confusing at all.
Just push the volume button when you know you are going to break[it can stay open if you want..]..You don't use the break button at all.. any fill , or even the variation will do..It is as simple as muting.. the acc, or the bass or the drums ..what ever fills your need..What makes this effective ..you can run any duration you want..

Go ahead and try It on your G1000, you will see what I am talking about...It is totally a simple procedure..

Don , see if the G70 does it as easy..it is very usable..

Using this feature, you can also use the tempo Rit/Acc option, for another humanized feel..

I can't believe you long time G1000 owners, didn''t get into your instrument more

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 11-22-2006).]

#162516 - 11/22/06 06:33 PM Re: How to get a Break/Fill on a Roland...
Diki Offline

Just exactly how many hands you got Fran......?

One to play the chords, one to play the RH part, and one to mute and unmute at least two or three buttons, all in the space of one bar? Plus, I guess your feet are triggering that fill?

A Break/Fill is a one bar (usually!) stop, with a pickup at the end of it. Just like a Break/Mute, but with a pickup at the end.

Fran, I used my G1000 pretty exclusively for 7yrs, know all about the mute buttons and yes, know and love the Fill/Rit button (though I tended to use it more for ending rits). But a Fill/Break is (or should be!) different from a Mute/Fill.

Primarily, the Break/Fill can be different from the fill. That pickup doesn't have to be the same fill as what's being played during the verse or chorus. Big plus, there, already. Secondly, you can have a count-in going through the bar, just like a real drummer tends to do while he rests. Thirdly, and to me, firstly, this can all be done with just ONE button press or, even more importantly, a foot pedal or FC-7.

I admit that, with practice, you may be able to do something that comes close, but I don't believe it offers as many advantages with as little operational complexity...

But..... there's more than one way to skin a cat. Just enjoy that we have so many different ways to use it....

#162517 - 11/22/06 07:18 PM Re: How to get a Break/Fill on a Roland...
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Fran's method definitely works but still you just hit mute and thats it... you wont be getting any cymbal crashes or snare drum hits.. if u get me? it will just be a sudden silence then after afew seconds it comes back on.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online