SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#162266 - 01/27/07 02:56 AM Re: styles vs midi flles
Robbe52 Offline

Loc: Germany
Which song has so many repetitions as used in playing with styles? It makes songs boring.
Arrangerproducers make lots of efforts to produce interesting styles. But each song is individual with characteristics of its own.
"Styles" make them "all the same"
Playing along with midifiles can be big fun anyway and give the performance a necessary portion of dynamics and individualism.
Not to speak of lousy keyboardplayers like me, who plays the guitar and just likes to be accompanied by basslines and drums

#162267 - 01/27/07 03:36 AM Re: styles vs midi flles
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Loc: Norway
Hi.

To me use of midifiles and mp3 playback or whatever when a song
are sequensed ready to just press play = KARAOKE!
You're stuck to whats programmed when you press play, can't add
a refrain or lenghten a solo when dancefloor is full and people
having fun.
When play with styles, you have that freedom all the time, and
you're using the style and chordprogression your way, by use mp3
midifiles etc, you just follow already done (or others work),
and at the end, most "discjokeys" sounds the same, cause they use
the same records.
I know midifiles can be edited, but so can styles, just the way
you like them to play.

Happy Playing.
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#162268 - 01/27/07 05:16 AM Re: styles vs midi flles
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
...I'm 100% Styles for any gig. I find trying to work with MIDI's feels restrictive to me, although guys like Esh have taken it to a new level...

...From what I understand, if you know your instruments capabilities w/regard to MIDI operation, you can easily "mark" sections of the midi file and repeat or jump to any section of a tune you want...

...As far as Styles being too repetitive, I think its more a commentary on the user, not the style. My arrangers have been both tyros' and a psr-3k. With all of these boards, you have an impressive range of option on how to make the kb work for you. From the various intro, variations, endings to the multipads to dropping the accompianment at a point, etc...Combine these option with the available options in things like your piano/kb part (that you're playing), changes in dynamics, vocal style, etc...

There's a million different ways to keep tunes fresh, and its on us to make sure we don't get in a rut.

Bill in Dayton

#162269 - 01/27/07 06:29 AM Re: styles vs midi flles
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by zuki:
Semi - any midi links?

You mean to indivicual songs? No, just chosen after going through countless midi's. If you mean how to find midi's, there's www.musicrobot.com and www.vanbasco.com.

------------------
Bill
smallGig.com
:::
As a songwriter, I need feedback on songs posted! Thanks!

#162270 - 01/27/07 07:43 AM Re: styles vs midi flles
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Vquestor:
Hasn't anyone tried the new MM4.04? http://www.midimaestro.com/index.html

That looks VERY interesting, Vquestor. They also have a beauty of a website. Very clean design.

------------------
Bill
smallGig.com
:::
As a songwriter, I need feedback on songs posted! Thanks!

#162271 - 01/27/07 03:40 PM Re: styles vs midi flles
Vquestor Offline

No, I don't have the software, but tried
a demo a few years ago.
I believe it still does not have time stretching for audio(to allow syncing tempo changes of audio to the midi file). If it did, I think it would be ideal, due to it's clean interface.

#162272 - 01/27/07 05:00 PM Re: styles vs midi flles
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Vendors have added the ability to "remix" a midi file , but many people don't use the features.. I have the SD1, if I use a midi file in performance, I try to remix the drum tracks with Sd1 tracks as much as possible...

Another example is wav syncipation, great idea, but sifficult to implement easily...

I have found that crowds will recognize a song from a midi sequence quicker vs. using generic styles..

Yamaha allows you to syncipate a midi sequence with one of their styles, which in turn can give a midi sequence a different feel, but not many people use the feature imo....

Dan O'

#162273 - 01/27/07 06:31 PM Re: styles vs midi flles
zuki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DanO1:

Yamaha allows you to syncipate a midi sequence with one of their styles, which in turn can give a midi sequence a different feel, but not many people use the feature imo....

Dan O'

Hi Dan,

Is this possible on the 3000?

Regards,
zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#162274 - 01/27/07 10:15 PM Re: styles vs midi flles
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
It sure is, Zuki. Just start a midi file, and while it's playing ... select a similar drum beat and press the arranger start button. The midifile drum track dissapears and the arranger (drummer only)takes over. It's cool sometimes.

#162275 - 01/28/07 06:50 AM Re: styles vs midi flles
Esh Offline

Loc: Hilton Head, SC, USA
It's worth pointing out that styles ARE midi files, and since they are repeated so often in a song they tend to sound more like mechanized accompaniment than SMF's which can be given a lot more variety. I randomize the velocity of my SMF drums and backing instruments so they have a human feel that doesn't tire the ears. You can do that with styles too but since each phrase is just a few bars long and then repeated infinitely the randomization is short lived and becomes it's own predictable pattern. I use styles now and then but SMF's just give me a better and more complex sound. And it makes a difference that I am a pianist - styles really tie down your left hand and I prefer the flow of having both hands working together melodically as opposed to splitting up their duties. With SMF's and MP3's you also have the option of performing with an acoustic piano, thus widening the range of gigs you can do.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online