SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#162239 - 12/14/05 08:36 PM Geriatric blues
Beakybird Offline

A few months ago I got hired to do a once-a-month show at a nursing home on the West Side of Chicago. Lots of black elderly. They're not into the Frank Sinatra and Bing Crosby stuff that I know tons of.

They really get into blues, Fats Domino, Chuck Berry, etc.

I got some great blues styles on my PSR3000. Does anyone know some great blues songs and other songs like old R&B or boogy woogy that would appeal to an elderly black audience?

It would be a big help. I just got another call today from a retirement home that asked me if I could do a blues show in January. I said yes! I know four blues songs. I got my work cut out for me.

Beakybird

#162240 - 12/14/05 08:47 PM Re: Geriatric blues
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
More of a gospel than blues, but I always get a good response from 'black elderly' with 'Put Your Hand In The Hand'. There's a great Gospel style on the SD1 that works. I'll check my 3000... gotta be something just as good there.

Glenn

#162241 - 12/14/05 09:46 PM Re: Geriatric blues
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I play a lot of similar places.
They like Midnight Hour, Mustang Sally, Something You Got, Shake Rattle & Roll (the original, not Bill Haley's). Also, When The Saints Go Marching In, I'll Fly Away, Jimmy Reed songs like Runnin and Hidin, Big Boss Man.
Chuck Berry Songs (Johnny B. Good, Maybelline, etc.)
Don't forget these people were active in the 50's. They like all the Rock N' Roll songs, particularly artists like Fats Domino, Little Richard. Also the early Blues artists like Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, Willie Dixon.
Try to keep it upbeat!
DonM

#162242 - 12/15/05 12:13 AM Re: Geriatric blues
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
Sorry, I couldn't resist...
Play "In the upper room" by Mahalia Jackson, or "Lonesome Valley" by the Fairfield Four

Apologies for the black humour.

#162243 - 12/15/05 06:00 AM Re: Geriatric blues
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Don's list is right up there some of the songs I do as well. Keep everything upbeat, no balads, no slow blues songs. Some upbeat gospels such as "Will The Circle Be Unbroken" done with a bluegrass style, and a medley beginning "This Old House" ending with "When The Saints Come Marching In" using a Dixieland style with a tempo of 200 will get them up clapping and singing as well. Slow, bluesy stuff at any nursing home, even one that is predominately black, just doesn't cut it. The last things that folks standing on the edge of the grave need is a slow, moody song.

As for the Sinatra stuff, most of the predominately black nursing homes I perform at love Sinatra songs, just as long as they're upbeat. They love New York--New York, I've Got You Under My Skin, Lady Is A Tramp, and dozens of others with similar tempos and styles. They sure don't need to hear My Way.

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#162244 - 12/15/05 06:01 AM Re: Geriatric blues
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Sorry, Double post!

[This message has been edited by travlin'easy (edited 12-15-2005).]

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#162245 - 12/15/05 06:57 AM Re: Geriatric blues
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
They sure don't need to hear My Way.
Good Luck,
Gary

I've actually gotten requests for that in similar venues, and I cringe singing the first line "And now the end is near ..."

t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 12-15-2005).]

#162246 - 12/15/05 07:56 AM Re: Geriatric blues
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
I'm not elderly yet, but I will tell you what singer NOT to play to a "black eldery crowd", is Elvis.

His music doesn't sit well with us considering all the "behind the scenes" remarks made by Elvis over the years about African Americans, and how he got his start in music. Long long story, but seriously though.. NO ELVIS.

Squeak

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 12-15-2005).]

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 12-15-2005).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#162247 - 12/15/05 08:01 PM Re: Geriatric blues
Beakybird Offline

Thank you very much so far. Please keep it coming.

Beakybird

#162248 - 12/15/05 09:49 PM Re: Geriatric blues
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I played one tonight as a matter of fact. The only white people besides Dean and me were part of the staff, and maybe 4 or 5 residents out of 120 or so. I don't believe color has anything at all to do with it. Use a lively rhythm they can dance or clap to, or a melody they remember.
Down here we can play Cajun songs and they respond very well. Dean's fiddle helps that a lot. Jambalaya, Big Mamou, You Never Can Tell, etc. They also liked Suzie Q, Jingle Bell Rock, Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree, Blue Suede Shoes, Kansas City--all the old staple R n R songs. I did a medley of Hank Williams songs, and the audience sang along and seemed to know every word.
We finished with I'll Fly Away and went right into our closing instrumental of Orange Blossom Special. We play it at 160 bpm and feature the fiddle. Those old people will sleep good tonight!
DonM

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online