SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#161716 - 05/08/07 09:08 PM First Impressions of my Pa800
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Recently we attended the Keyboard Festival Pakefield UK. I took my own headphones which I know well and a week prior to going had packed away my Korg Pa50 and had played my PSR3000 very little so my mind was fresh. Every night at the festival whilst the evening concert was on I played the demo Pa800 on my headphones privately in quite surrounds on the Korg stand for a good hour each night. The board really excited me and I ordered one.

Returning home with the Pa50 still boxed I just had the 3K to play and did so every day for over a week whilst waiting for Pa800 delivery.....this is where the problem lies because I was logged onto the sound of the 3K immediately before receiving the Pa800.

After 3 days with my new Korg, I was initially a little disappointed because out of the box a large number of right hand style voice factory settings are dry with little reverb. Other owners may hear this differently.

There are so many good options on this board that are all tweakable, a very large bank STYLE FAVOURITES where you can copy over your most played styles, PERFORMANCES (Registrations) & Song Data Base where new 4 OTS settings can be set independent of the styles own OTS's. Keyboard buttons direct to Full Keyboard, Bass Inversion, Bass Solo Left Split, Two Assignable Buttons, Very Good PADS Riffs again resignable, Reasonable speakers with good loud output without clipping..etc. The OS has been well thought out with an easy to use touch screen. Last night I updated OS to v1.02 which appears to improved the sound settings or possibly just my brain becoming Korg minded.

A new OS v1.05 has been promised for late May and one of the two Pa800's I played at my week at Pakefield had this installed on the demonstrators board for testing.

Without doubt the only way to test if a new board is to ones liking is to play it at home for 2 to 3 days which in most cases dealer wise is not possible....we don't get 30 day return in the UK.

Bottom line is I'm keeping the Korg to make it my own.

#161717 - 05/09/07 12:18 AM Re: First Impressions of my Pa800
gilbert Offline

Loc: Oelsnitz /E Germany
Hi Graham,
Congratulations on the purchase of your Pa800.

like you, my assessment of the E80 whilst playing in the showroom was somewhat different following purchase and playing it at home. I started to question if I Had made the right decision however after some four months , a steep learning curve and a lot of setting up I know that my choice was the right one,as on the P800 there are so many tools that will allow you to make the board your own.Try your new board as master and your Psr 3000 as slave you will be very surprised at the results.

Happy Days
Regards Gilbert.

#161718 - 05/09/07 04:00 AM Re: First Impressions of my Pa800
Graham UK Offline

Gilbert. Your Profile is not showing your email so can email me (my Profile) if you wish to make contact.

#161719 - 05/10/07 04:48 AM Re: First Impressions of my Pa800
Craig_UK Offline

Loc: UK
Hi Graham.
All the best with the PA800, I'm sure you'll love it to bits with being used to Korg

#161720 - 05/10/07 04:50 AM Re: First Impressions of my Pa800
Dnj Offline

Graham please when you get a chance give us some details on navigation with the Pa800..eg: going thru menus ..realtime jumping around the deck etc etc ...appreciated.

#161721 - 05/10/07 06:51 PM Re: First Impressions of my Pa800
Graham UK Offline

Dnj. I don't gig so I'm really not the person to give you an up front opinion on navigation in a paid for playing situation.
All touch screens respond well, but do just occasionally require a second touch. If I was giging with the Pa800 I would save my most used styles into the Favourites Bank 320 slots and with the screen Hold Button on 8 styles are displayed per page with the other named banks each side of the screen. Plus you would save Performance Banks (Registrations) in the same way, plus a SongBook. All 3 of these methods are very quick to select the next setting for the next song.

[This message has been edited by Graham UK (edited 05-10-2007).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online