Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#161621 - 12/30/02 07:32 AM Re: Tyros speakers review
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
Frankly, I'd never rely solely on 'built into the keyboard' speakers alone to provide sound for any of MY paying gig performances. My clients deserve better

Well, now, I guess that's aimed at me, huh?

Scott - just because YOU don't play any situations where the lack of gear is more appropriate, please don't presume to tell anyone that I'm not giving my clients everything they deserve. Believe me - they get way more than their money's worth when they book a party with me. Top notch entertainment with state of the art gear and class performances. size does NOT always matter. Sometimes it's WRONG.

My clients deserve what they pay me to offer. My judgment is worth as much as each note I sing, so let's not make it a shouting match about gear, cuz you'll loose. You're a nice guy, but still a rookie when we compare years in the trenches, so lets not go head to head on this.

In fairness - I agree that a larger 3 way system probably does sound better than a built in system, and I rarely use JUST the kb speakers without any reinforcement, but when I do .... you can bet that the end result is EXACTLY what is called for in that situation. Musicians for centuries have been labeled as "playing too loud," dressing sloppily, taking too many breaks, etc....
This is one way I've found to erase part of the damage that my predecessors have laid out before me. Small is definitely called for MANY, MANY times in my year.

Maybe it's time to move all this Tyros talk to the Yamaha forum ...... it's starting to overpower the conversations ! That way - you'll ALL agree.

#161622 - 12/30/02 08:18 AM Re: Tyros speakers review
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Scott,
DO NOT TAKE A HACKSAW TO YOUR NEW TYROS. Any modifications have to have the manufacturer's permission IN WRITING. The minute you do that you have totally voided the warranty and any problems you may have are yours not the manufacturere or the dealer.
BE K@@L
Bebop

#161623 - 12/30/02 09:28 AM Re: Tyros speakers review
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Bebop: Don't worry . Believe me, I won't even bring a hacksaw into the 'same room' as my Tyros keyboard. I checked with Yamaha, and they assured me that cutting off that insignificant plastic piece off the plastic speaker bracket (which came with the 'optionally' purchased Tyros TRS MS01 speakers) should not compromise the strength or integrity of the speaker bracket, and also will NOT void the Tyros keyboard warranty, because it is not a part of the working function of the speakers, bracket, or even the Tyros keyboard whatsover. The other re-assuring thing is that it's simple, easy (and cheap) to purchase & replace speaker brackets if necessary. To be on the safe side though, I probably just order an extra pair of Tyros speaker bracket replacements FIRST, before attempting to cut ANYTHING off. - Scott

#161624 - 12/30/02 09:35 AM Re: Tyros speakers review
Roel Offline

Hi all,

Built-in speaker are OK if the audience (room) is very small.

I would never use a single PA-speaker because the stereo-image of the keyboard is completely lost while using ONE...... my audience deserves better !

Leslie-speakers should only be used on 'drawbar' (sinus) organs as Hammond. Using them on arranger keyboards sounds terrible (with drums etc.) When sinus-sounds leave the keyboard through separate audio channels it is OK to use rotating horns/speakers.
The Hammond samples in the SD1 have a very good Leslie-effect attached. The DSP however sounds poor .... hope OS4.0 improves this.

It's OK with me if the Tyros discussions take place here

Happy NEW YEAR !

Roel

#161625 - 12/30/02 10:53 AM Re: Tyros speakers review
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Actually Roel, I have used the Motion Sound with the PSR 9000 JUST for the Right3 voice. With that keyboard and the Tyros, you can channel certain voices to specific outputs and thus channel a specific voice to a specific AMP. In my case, I channeled all Organ voices to the Right3 layer and wailed away whilst the rest of the keyboard went through my other stereo keyboard amp.

AL G

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#161626 - 12/30/02 11:37 AM Re: Tyros speakers review
Roel Offline

AL G,
Exactly what I tried to tell .... the only right way to do it !

Roel

#161627 - 12/30/02 03:02 PM Re: Tyros speakers review
trtjazz Offline

Well, I stated before and will again....IMO with 20+ years of live gigging under my belt have never performed in any venue where I thought onboard speakers alone of any kind were adequate.

Perhaps the only exception would be Grandma's front room at xmas time, but real gigs demand real equipment.

jam on,
Terry

#161628 - 12/30/02 06:16 PM Re: Tyros speakers review
trtjazz Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:

Maybe it's time to move all this Tyros talk to the Yamaha forum ...... it's starting to overpower the conversations ! That way - you'll ALL agree.

Dave,
While you're at it take the useless sports talk with it to a sports forum too will ya.
Terry

#161629 - 12/30/02 06:24 PM Re: Tyros speakers review
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
Frankly, I'd never rely solely on 'built into the keyboard' speakers alone to provide sound for any of MY paying gig performances.

The reason I prefer utilizing an external PA along with the onboard keyboard speakers even on the smaller gigs, is not for increased volume, but to achieve a 'richer warmer' sound than internal keyboard speakers can provide.

Quote:
Well, now, I guess that's aimed at me, huh?

NO ! Did I mention your name ANYWHERE in that statement? I was merely stating my
'personal opinion' based on my own experiences. STOP thinking I was addressing you specifically, I wasn't.

Quote:
You're a nice guy, but still a rookie when we compare years in the trenches, so
lets not go head to head on this.

I find your above comment both denegrating and insulting, and not based on any facts.

Quote:
Maybe it's time to move all this Tyros talk to the Yamaha forum ......

As far as your suggestion of moving all further Tyros talk to the Yamaha forum, who
are YOU to suggest censoring topics here?. It's interesting to hear how prejudiced you are againest the Tyros, yet haven't even played one yourself yet. You certainly have the right to your opinions, but advocating a Tyros discussion ban here really shows your lack of open minded-ness to differing points of views, especially on a 'general' arranger forum.

Scott

#161630 - 12/30/02 08:24 PM Re: Tyros speakers review
rgtaa Offline

i don't think UD or anyone here was saying to just use the Internal Speakers when you GIG out! .... Just for self Monitoring Purposes!

I expect that the Tyro's will take main stage here for a month or 2 and it should... it just came out ... and many are excited about it.

I was coming to the board for months because of the kidding around we do here and the good info and diverse Opinions ... and Respect we have for each other ( most of the time)!

The Technics, Korg,Yamaha,soltan,ect are all Good Brands... and since this is a Genetic Arranger Forum and Not a Tyro's Formun ... I sort of agree with UD on this ... I sort have been feeling uncomfortable for a month or so ... talking about the PRS9000 with all the talk of Tyro's! ... or any other Brand!

And I don't mean any disrespect in saying this ... When someone got the psr2000 ... is was the GREATEST thing... and now same person LOVES the Tyro's ... ...and it's a LOVE affair ... and I know what's that's like! Let's all support each other in our Current LOVE affair with the Keyboard of our Choice!
This year it's still the psr9000 for me!
Love you guys!
Happy New year!

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online