SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#161611 - 12/29/02 03:44 AM Tyros speakers review
trtjazz Offline

Well, I've had the speakers for a few days and here's my thoughts......

They're good, but not GREAT. I don't think the mid range is missing as much as the highs and lows are more pronounced.

The satellites are crystal clear on voices like the piano and sound very good. The sub woofer is nothing special and sounds like a typical computer sub.

The mounting brackets and how they sit on the Tyros is nice and I do like the speakers facing me and allows for a better listening experience rather than pointing at the ceiling as in other boards.

I would have prefered though that they came up with a better set of all range satellites and dump the sub woofer.

The satellites won't run without the sub being on. The on off switch is on the back of the sub sitting on the floor which is a pain in the butt to crawl around on the floor to turn it off and on. I solved it by leaving the sub on and plugging it into a power strip at the Tyros level.....but....

I think the setup is ok for home/studio use, but if I were considering using it on a live gig, I would take my powered studio monitors to use, if I was not going through an amo or pa system.

In short, I think they could/should have come up with a better setup satellite full range set of speakers.
jam on,
Terry

#161612 - 12/29/02 06:31 AM Re: Tyros speakers review
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
The speakers should be built in

#161613 - 12/29/02 06:54 AM Re: Tyros speakers review
trtjazz Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
The speakers should be built in

Actually Dave, I disagree. After having these, sitting on top facing me, I prefer them to the built ins facing the ceiling, the sound difference is amazing.
Terry

#161614 - 12/29/02 10:05 AM Re: Tyros speakers review
Roel Offline

Terry,

Your review 'fits' with mine (a couple of months ago during one of the very first DEMO's)
I too disagree with UD (sorry UD ) and think speakers should be pointed to the audience/player.

A German company called SYRINCS produces great (mini)PA's with an excellent sound (about 600 Euros).....much better than the Yammy-system. (bright, warm, deep and SUB)

Roel

#161615 - 12/29/02 04:55 PM Re: Tyros speakers review
Dnj Offline

#161616 - 12/29/02 11:33 PM Re: Tyros speakers review
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I also finally received (last Friday) the backordered Tyros speakers for my Tyros keyboard. My opinion is that though they sound very good (but not great), that they sound BETTER than ANY arranger keyboard 'built in speaker' system I've ever played.

Tyros speaker setup/breakdown is really a breeze, If the speaker brackets are left mounted to the keyboard, it takes less than 8 seconds to attach each satelite speakers to the keyboard, and another 10 seconds to place the subwoofer on the floor and plug it into the keyboard. The subwoofer is heavier, and not built as rugged as I would have prefered, but it definitely sounds better than any internal 'built into the keyboard' speaker system. Frankly, I'd never rely solely on 'built into the keyboard' speakers alone to provide sound for any of MY paying gig performances. My clients deserve better, so I almost always augment my sound with at least one external PA speaker (EV SxA100). What I particularly like about the Tyros speakers (as personal monitors) is that can be optimally aimed directly towards MY ears.

The one thing I notice about the Tyros satellite speaker mounting brackets is that there is a 'seemingly useless' piece of plastic that sticks out (protrudes) out past the rear of the keyboard making a 'larger than necessary' keyboard case required if the brackets are to remain permananantly attached to the KB. After coming to the conclusion that this piece of protruding plastic is totally useless and will not compromise the integrity or strength of the bracket whatsoever, I'm thinking of removing it altogether (with a hack saw) to make it possible to fit the keyboard in the 'smallest possible' keyboard case (Kaces Porter #9 or Yamaha Signature brand Tyros gig bag) which more closely matches the EXACT dimensions of the Tyros keyboard itself.

I'm also looking for a separate lightweight soft yet padded gig bag which will best fit the Tyros Subwoofer: 13.8" (350mm) x 8.3" (210mm) x 12.6" (321mm) and/or the Tyros satellite speakers: 3.8" (97mm) x 6.9" (174mm) x 7" (178mm). Anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks. - Scott

#161617 - 12/30/02 12:33 AM Re: Tyros speakers review
keyskitten Offline

Loc: Dickinson, Texas, USA
SPEAKERS.

The reason yamaha put separate speakers witht he TYROS was to make the illusion that it is a "professional" board (since all professional keyboard DO NOT have speakers, pro keyboardists use amplifiers on gigs) and pro keyboardists look down upon keyboards with built in speakers, considering anything with built in speakers to be a "toy" so

this was a marketing move by Yamaha.

A good friend of mine has the TYROS, he hates the "tyros speakers" and recommends an amp (he is a gigging musician in a 2-man band.)

If you're going to pay $3000 USD for a keyboad, I think it deserves an amplifier that will make the best of those "great" sounds, I would recommend the "motion sound" stereo amp with built in "real" leslie type speaker for the organ sounds too, at about $1100 going price at online music stores.

hope that helps,

(personally I inveted in a new Roland module rather than pumping out $3000 for a TYROS, which doesn't allow you to play its best voices, the mega voices, "live". MY Roland XV5050 module has 1300 patches/voices which can be edited, and all the lovely guitars (which sound just as good as the mega guitars) can indeed by played "live" thru my trusty old PSR.

I still like the Yamaha trumpets/saxes better than the Roland's, but all the other Roland voices are absolutely fabulous, and I was a dyed in the wool Yamaha addict before demoing the FANTOM in the music store, falling in love with the sounds, then ordering the module online.

Of course the XV5050 is a SOUND MODULE and doesn't have styles or any of those extra bells and whistles. If I want to use styles, I can run them thru that, but since I've been recording as a hobby for a few months, I've drifted away from the PSr styles and am into making my own "backing tracks" for my songs.

Good luck,
Cathy

#161618 - 12/30/02 12:44 AM Re: Tyros speakers review
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Hi Roel,
I wonder where would it be possibile to order those Syrincs speakers here in Europe. I have tried Synthplanet, but they are not in stock...

#161619 - 12/30/02 05:17 AM Re: Tyros speakers review
Roel Offline

Adrea,

I just emailed Syrincs for more information.
Let's wait.

Roel

#161620 - 12/30/02 06:18 AM Re: Tyros speakers review
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Thanks

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online