SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#161544 - 01/13/06 03:50 PM Summertime on the Pa1X Pro
jerry6681 Offline

Loc: Sun Lakes, Az. United States
A fast Flute Solo to Summertime on my Pa1X Pro.

Jerry
http://storeandserve.com/download/63748/Summertime.mp3.html

#161545 - 01/14/06 11:52 AM Re: Summertime on the Pa1X Pro
Dnj Offline

What can I say? ...................
Great Song, Great Flute,Great Playing!

Thanx for sharing, hope to hear many more !!

#161546 - 01/14/06 06:23 PM Re: Summertime on the Pa1X Pro
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Jerry: Nice sounding flute solo. My only comment is that your solo appears to go on as one continous long phrase, rather than a series of phrases, and lacking breathing space necessary for which a real flutist would need to 'take a breath'. - Scott

#161547 - 01/15/06 05:39 AM Re: Summertime on the Pa1X Pro
zuki Offline

I couldn't figure out how to download from the link provided ??

zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#161548 - 01/15/06 07:02 AM Re: Summertime on the Pa1X Pro
George V Offline

Loc: Sofia
Zuki,
when you click on the provided link, a new page will appear. On the right of the page there is a table. On the last row of the table there is a button with a sign 'Download!'
When you press that button you will be redirected to another page. Scroll to the bottom of that page. The file is there.

George

#161549 - 01/15/06 07:13 AM Re: Summertime on the Pa1X Pro
George V Offline

Loc: Sofia
Hi jerry,
I liked this sample. It recalled me of the summertime.
I can't say which flute I like better - the yamaha sweet! flute or Pa1X Pro.

In addition to what Scott Yee said I'd like to mention that your flute solo sounded to me too 'keyboardish' - all notes were played legato. If I were you I'd play some of the notes non-legato with more expressive dynamics.

I hope this will help you to improve this nice track.

Regards,
George

#161550 - 01/15/06 07:21 AM Re: Summertime on the Pa1X Pro
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Is there some type of restriction with this site and Windows Media Player? I cannot get this file to open. This particular site for some reason does not allow me to open any files posted by forum members.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#161551 - 01/15/06 07:23 AM Re: Summertime on the Pa1X Pro
jerry6681 Offline

Loc: Sun Lakes, Az. United States
Thanks for the listen and comments.

Scott..
This is a solo as it might be played in the middle of a long version of Summertime. After the Flute played the melody real pretty and exact at the beginning of the song and then slowly worked into this very complex solo and then back to the exact melody again. It might have appeared to you to be one continuous long phrase but notice how (within the solo) I have many of the melody notes exactly where they should be. At times I will have a thirty or forty note run and end exactly on the melody note which is very difficult. You have to be able to feel (up front) where a cluster of fast notes is going to end. You can hear that I am playing Summertime.. (within all the rapid notes the phrasing and song melody are recognizable) unlike so many solos that are just scales on the chords and often sound the same no matter what song is being played. I had to spend a lot of time studying the song structure and melody before I could play this improvised solo. Also all five fingers must be able to play equally well or the speed, perfection and technique of this solo cannot be achieved.

As for breathing.. my personal approach is not to try to imitate a real flute player by including space for breathing but to utilize the keyboard opportunities of the single note flute instrument. In this instance I am a keyboard Flute player.

I really do appreciate your comments but wanted to explain my approach to what I was trying to accomplish with this Flute solo.

Jerry

#161552 - 01/15/06 08:52 AM Re: Summertime on the Pa1X Pro
zuki Offline

I'm with Squeak, can't open....

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#161553 - 01/15/06 09:11 AM Re: Summertime on the Pa1X Pro
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
I agree a little with what Scottyee said Jerry, but then again this is also something I have the tendency to do myself. In fact there is a song on one of my sites that I pretty much did the same thing with a sax sound. Ya know what ? I don't have to change my breathing to play like that. I like that you say you are a KB flute player. To me, being a synth player is about manipulating sounds in ways that other instruments can't. Where is it written in the "rules" that we have to actually imitate the guy playing the flute anyway ? It's a synth.... I can't make it do hammers and fret noises exactly like a guitarist does.. but I can play more than 4 limbs worth of drum notes if I want.

People love to "kill" Yanni for bending acoustic piano notes, but most of the guys that I see criticizing him couldn't play what he can anyway, nor will most of them ever enjoy the level success he has had. I'm not a big fan of his btw, just realistic, having talked with a few people that remember him from his progressive rock roots and having heard a few snippets of that stuff.

The solo itself sounds nice, and the PA1x sounds magnificent. I can really see me with a 76 key version someday. I just don't know whether it will have all the attributes I need to also make it a suitable controller for my softsynths. I'm thinking that if I can assign the MZ2000 sliders to control my softsynths, ( that's if I get another MZ ) that will likely be my best option short of using a dedicated controller.

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 01-15-2006).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online