SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#161226 - 08/03/05 02:47 PM Re: Logitech home speakers as studio monitors
girljam Offline

Loc: FL
Gary (or anyone!)
what settings constitute a "flat" sound?
Just using the on board "flat" eq settings? Or is there something else I should try tweaking here?
As you said, one does slowly get better, but I'm far from making a great one yet!

thanks,
Jill

PSR S970, PSR S910, ShureSM57 mics, and way too much misc.

#161227 - 08/03/05 04:32 PM Re: Logitech home speakers as studio monitors
Roel Offline

Douglas, Gary,
You guys put it better than I did, but we think the same : Quality monitor speakers are NO quarantee for a perfect mix !

Many top-recordings were/are finalized on NS-10 or MSP-5

[This message has been edited by Roel (edited 08-03-2005).]

#161228 - 08/03/05 05:13 PM Re: Logitech home speakers as studio monitors
flatfoot Offline

Loc: sacramento CA

>>>..what settings constitute a "flat" sound?...>>>

Every place you play has its own acoustic properties, depending on its size, shape, materials, etc. These factors may emphasize one frequency or diminish another frequency. It you were to see this on an ocilloscope you would see a spike or a dip in the readout. The engineers job is to adjust the sound so that the spike or dip is gone. This condition is called 'flat' because that's what it looks like on the scope.

The term is also used by extension to refer to a similar adjusting process that recording engineers perform in the studio.

Douglas Wolfe
Sacramento

#161229 - 08/03/05 05:21 PM Re: Logitech home speakers as studio monitors
flatfoot Offline

Loc: sacramento CA

>>>...Speakers do NOT record they only produce sound...>>>>

Strangely enough, speakers have been used to make recordings. The schematic representation of dymanic microphones and of speaker coils are identical. If you plug the cheap mike that came with your computer into a walkman earplug jack, you will hear sound. If you plug headphones into the mike jack of your soundcard and sing into the headphones, you will get a signal that can be recorded.

In the 70's we used to take the earpieces off a set of headphones and drop them into the holes of the frame of a grand piano. This was the best piano transducer available at the time for live shows.

There are hit records that have been made this way, although I can't recall any titles at the moment.

Douglas Wolfe
Sacramento

#161230 - 08/03/05 06:10 PM Re: Logitech home speakers as studio monitors
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Jill,

On the PSR-2100's mixing console you'll find an EQ setting that says Flat--that's the sound I'm referring to. There is a significant difference between those EQ settings and those I posted earlier. Give them a try and you'll hear the differrence.

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#161231 - 08/03/05 10:10 PM Re: Logitech home speakers as studio monitors
girljam Offline

Loc: FL
Thanks gary -
i know exactly what to do to set that up - appreciate it!!!

Jill

PSR S970, PSR S910, ShureSM57 mics, and way too much misc.

#161232 - 08/07/05 10:26 PM Re: Logitech home speakers as studio monitors
Smurf Offline

Loc: Ohio
I don't have the funds for a real set of monitors and use a set of Altec Lansing 2.1 computer speakers. What I do is take a favorite cd that is as close, in style, to the music I am recording, one's that you are REALLY familiar with. Then listen to that on your "monitors" with everything set at zero or the flat setting on all EQ's...speakers, any software you use to record, and the EQ for the windows mixer (if it has an "Advance" one).

Then listen to those cd's on those speakers until you are sick of it (do this over a few days) Then try to match, as close as you can, the sound of that cd. This is not "correct", but it has worked for me and a few others who tried it, and it didn't cost a penny more to get better results from what I had.

Just a thought...........

------------------

My Tunes...
http://www.mp3.com.au/TheJCSProject/
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/9/thejcsproject.htm

#161233 - 08/07/05 10:31 PM Re: Logitech home speakers as studio monitors
Smurf Offline

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Smurf:
[B]I don't have the funds for a real set of monitors and use a set of Altec Lansing 2.1 computer speakers. What I do is take a favorite cd that is as close, in style, to the music I am recording, one's that you are REALLY familiar with. Then listen to that on your "monitors" with everything set at zero or the flat setting on all EQ's...speakers, any software you use to record, and the EQ for the windows mixer (if it has an "Advance" one).

Then listen to those cd's on those speakers until you are sick of it (do this over a few days) Then try to match, as close as you can, the sound of that cd. This is not "correct", but it has worked for me and a few others who tried it, and it didn't cost a penny more to get better results from what I had before when I just recorded with them set up sounding their best.

If you can come close to the sound of the CD on your "monitors", then it should translate well to everywhere else your "guide CD" sounds good, car, home system, boom box, etc.

Just a thought...........

#161234 - 08/07/05 10:33 PM Re: Logitech home speakers as studio monitors
Smurf Offline

Sorry about the double post...I thought I was editing.......15 days without a cig and I think my mind is going................sorry about that..............

#161235 - 08/07/05 11:31 PM Re: Logitech home speakers as studio monitors
eddiefromrotherham Offline

Loc: Rotherham,England.
Quote:
Originally posted by Smurf:
.......15 days without a cig and I think my mind is going.....

Good to hear that you are giving up the evil weed??
I note from your profile that you are a religious man who is also a carer. Thanks then now are due to you from those who are in your vicinity for not imposing the dreaded smoke in their lungs.
Keep it up and you will enjoy life more than ever eventually. You will start to realy taste your food for example and eventually you will be praying that many more will follow your lead.
cheers from a longtime self righteous non-smoker.
Eddie

------------------
Eddie from Rotherham
www.yamahakeyboards.info

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online