SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#16124 - 12/21/05 08:20 AM My recent experience with GEM
tweedle Offline

Loc: Laingsburg, MI USA
I just have to share my experience with GEM. I recently posted on this site about my keyboard display having problems. Within a short time, I was contacted by a rep from GEM USA. With a few phone calls, I finally got to someone who was very helpful and informative. After some discussion, I decided to have GEM replace my display board and I would install it myself. We agreed that the price for this was $52.33 + $12.00 S&H. I asked for an address to send my payment, but was told I could pay by check via COD. As the rep wasn't sure of the COD charges, I asked for a telephone call before shipping to get a total. (No one ever called.) Imagine my surprise when UPS showed up a few days ago with a total of nearly $80.00. With an additional instruction that I could only pay via M.O. or Cashier's check. That same day, I received an invoice from GEM via USPS. While the original price for the display was what I was quoted, the shipping charge alone was listed at: $22.50!
I refused the package. Subsequently, I found the exact same LCD display unit from a large electronic supply company for a little over $10.00. With shipping, I was able to replace my display for a little over $18.00. I did have to do a bit of soldering using my old connector to connect to the new display, but it only took me about 10 minutes. Everything works perfect. I am very surprised at how the cost increased astronomically between the time I spoke with the rep to the time my part was delivered. Needless to say, I am very disappointed with my experience. I will never again purchase a GEM keyboard. If it ever happens that my keyboard falls apart again and I can't fix it myself, into the trash it goes.

#16125 - 12/21/05 09:12 AM Re: My recent experience with GEM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello,

I am sorry that you had a bad experience with our service. I can assure you that this is not a normal scenario.

The CD-20 is over 10 years old and the fact that we even still had this part in stock at our US warehouse is a testament to the commitment we have for servicing our customers.

As for the mistake in shipping this part before calling you to inform you of the total price; I will check into this.

Best Regards,

Dave

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
Nat'l Product and Support Manager
Generalmusic USA
GEM Community Forums

#16126 - 12/21/05 10:15 AM Re: My recent experience with GEM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello,

I just spoke to our service manager and gathered some information.

The price that was given to you was a very good price based on what we pay for that part. Also, the price you were quoted was for the display only and did not include the cables to be attached to the display. However the service manager told you that he would install the cables at no charge to help you out. BTW: If you were able to de-solder the cable from the original display and then re-solder it to the new display in 10 minutes, you should become a repair tech. That is a lot of work to do it properly.

The COD charge was $10.50 which when added to the agreed upon $12.00 shipping and handling adds up to the total of $22.50 that you mentioned. The fact that UPS requires Cashiers Check or Money Order is beyond our control.

The fact that you didn't receive a phone call prior to this item being shipped is our mistake. The service manager did write on the order that you should be called before shipping. However, this was apparently missed by the new employee that is handling processing of orders/shipments and we apologize for this.

Finally, the service manager would be interested in knowing where you found the display for $10.00. This is way below our cost for this item.

Best Regards,

Dave

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
Nat'l Product and Support Manager
Generalmusic USA
GEM Community Forums

[This message has been edited by WDMcM (edited 12-21-2005).]

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online