SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#160826 - 03/19/00 06:17 PM JammerLive Sound Modules
Clif Anderson Offline

I am starting this thread to invite suggestions regarding sound modules that would work well with JammerLive.

Frank L. Rosenthal has done some pioneering work with JammerLive and concluded the combination with Gigasampler is not ready for prime time. JammerLive can be interfaced simply with the internal sounds of a keyboard. For more flexibility in selecting sounds, an external module can be used. As Frank has pointed out, some sort of midi merge capability would be required if the module were to play both JammerLive accompaniment and lead. Thus, sound modules with two midi inputs (or equivalent) are of special interest.

#160827 - 03/19/00 06:29 PM Re: JammerLive Sound Modules
Clif Anderson Offline

The Roland (or Edirol) SC-8820 is worth a look. First, the MSRP is below $450 and weights less than 1 pound. It has 32MB of compressed sounds which Roland considers equivalent to 64MB. The module is GM2 compatible.

This is a USB device. The USB interface provides power to the SC-8820 and serves as a two-way midi connection. The SC-8820 also has a midi in and a midi out.
I believe the midi in and the USB are merged.

I cannot tell from the Edirol website what is the best way to configure a JammerLive system with the SC-8820. It would be nice if a single midi cable from the controller to the module were all that was needed other than a USB cable from the computer to the module. If anyone has a chance to check this configuration out, please report.

For more connectivity at a higher price, the Edirol SC-8850 is worth a look. Same sounds, but two midi ins in addition to USB.

Clif

[This message has been edited by Clif Anderson (edited 03-19-2000).]

#160828 - 03/19/00 06:41 PM Re: JammerLive Sound Modules
Clif Anderson Offline

Yamaha offers the MU128. This is similar to the SC-8850 in that it offers more than one midi in plus direct computer connectivity. An advantage is the plug-in architecture, which will allow a vocal harmony plug-in board, as well as several synthesis options.

Clif

#160829 - 03/25/00 06:29 AM Re: JammerLive Sound Modules
Clif Anderson Offline

I seem to be talking to myself in this thread, but myabe someone will read it anyway. I have been looking for modules that would work with JAMMER Live in a simple configuration. I have found two classes of modules that meet this requirement. The first class, including the modules listed in my messages above, are basically midi interfaces with built-in sounds. The second class are modules with two midi inputs (and a midi thru) that provide for 32 midi channels. In this case, 16-track styles (!)along with 16-tracks of lead can be played at once. Examples of modules in this class include the Roland 5080 and the Emu Proteus workalikes (Proteus 2000, Extreme Lead XL-1, Hammon B3 module, etc.) I think the two midi inputs were originally intended for sequencer plus controller inputs, but JAMMER Live can serve instead of the sequencer.

In the cases of the Roland 5080 and the Proteus 2000-type modules, the capacity is for over 100MB of pre-loaded ROM sounds. In addition, both provide for custom sounds through RAM (Roland) or Flash ROM (Emu, but requires an Emu sampler to make the Flash ROM).

Correcting an earlier post of mine, the Roland Keyboard is the XV-88 expandable to over 100MB of sounds. JAMMER Live can be used to convert this sound monster into an arranger keyboard.

We have read rumors of a new Roland 1200 arranger. I am assuming these rumours are just wishful thinking. In this vein, I hope it accepts JV and XV expansion boards and has a vocal harmonizer. (As far as I am concerned, the D-beam controller can be omitted.)

Clif

#160830 - 03/25/00 11:39 AM Re: JammerLive Sound Modules
elle Offline

#160831 - 03/25/00 12:13 PM Re: JammerLive Sound Modules
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Hey Guys, An old Roland Sound Canvas works fine with 2 midi ins if you need them...SC-55 and SC155, also SC-88...

#160832 - 03/26/00 10:45 AM Re: JammerLive Sound Modules
Clif Anderson Offline

Hi elle and Fran

Thanks for adding to the list. I should have followed elle's link, but I have not yet. I believe the SW1000XG is a PCI version of the Yamaha MU100. It seems like a good choice for a desktop computer with controller configuration. Since it accepts the Yamaha plug ins, it can even accommodate vocal harmony. I actually have the Yamaha MU100R, which uses the same sounds but comes with vocal harmony and VL synthesis built in. This is also a good alternative.

The original Sound Canvas's may offer the most cost effective high-quality sound module plus midi interface.

One issue for me is GM2 compatibility. I assume I want it, but I cannot find out specifically what it offers over vanilla GM. I believe it has an expanded ethnic sound set, including two Gamelan kits. If anyone knows more about GM2, I would like to hear about it. Anyway the new Rolands and the Yamaha MU128 are GM2 compatible.

By the way, has there ever been a rack mount arranger?

#160833 - 03/26/00 12:25 PM Re: JammerLive Sound Modules
elle Offline

I used to have the Roland RA90 sliding in and out my 19inch table top effects rack :-)

#160834 - 03/26/00 12:27 PM Re: JammerLive Sound Modules
elle Offline

...oh, and there is the Roland sound canvas PCcard for 'laptop arranging'.

#160835 - 03/26/00 07:42 PM Re: JammerLive Sound Modules
Clif Anderson Offline

Thanks elle, you are quite a resource. I will put the Roland card for laptop arranging on my list to consider. Hopefully, by the time I spring for it, they will have upgraded to the GM2 soundset.

Clif

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online