SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#16072 - 10/09/03 09:29 AM External Sync Clocks
Jon Keefer Offline

Loc: Canton, Ohio USA
I am trying to record parts of a song to turn into a style on my sk880PS. When I hit the start button on the computer based Voyetra program, my SK 880 doesn't start recording. I'm in Style record mode and the midi setup is set to "External" clock. I have to leave the SK in "Internal" and try to press both the sequence program start and the start record button on my sk880. Obviously it doesn't come out quite right. What am I doing wrong??? The date does get recorded onto the sk880 so I know the midi out function of the computer is working or data would have been received.

#16073 - 10/09/03 10:33 AM Re: External Sync Clocks
Chris A Offline

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ,
Hi Jon,

I do what you're describing all the time from Cubase and I can confirm that the SK should start recording when you hit start on the software. If it won't run in external clock mode then it is simply not receiving any clock pulses. Most likely your sequencer, like Cubase, requires that you set it to transmit clock out thru the particular midi port that's connected to the keyboard. Make sure it's set to Midi Clock and not Midi Time Code.

Also note that the SK will only sync to clock via MIDI IN A.

#16074 - 10/09/03 11:35 AM Re: External Sync Clocks
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
Chris A,

Greetings to you. It is always good to read your contribution.

I thought that What determines which port (A or B) SK uses for clock synch is determined by what is set for the common midi channel. It is possible to set it to B in this case. What am I missing?

Thanks

#16075 - 10/09/03 11:50 AM Re: External Sync Clocks
Jon Keefer Offline

Chris,
Nice to hear your still around. You were our rep (Akron Music-Cuyahoga Falls , Ohio)when I was in the retail business. Anyway,although I'm not at the computer now, I don't recall Voyatra Basic having an option to choose "midi clock vs midi time code. Could it be that since I'm receiving the data but the not the clock I have something additionally set wrong on the 880? For instance, should the Midi merge be set to "On" instead.... I'm just wondering if my setup in midi mode on the 880 is wrong

#16076 - 10/09/03 01:35 PM Re: External Sync Clocks
sk880user Offline

First of all, it should be Midi Clock not Midi time code.

But second, from my memory, I believe you have to set the common midi channel to the correct port and correct channel in which voytera is trasmitting. The clock received and trasmitted at the common midi channel.

#16077 - 10/09/03 03:17 PM Re: External Sync Clocks
Jon Keefer Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by sk880user:
First of all, it should be Midi Clock not Midi time code.

But second, from my memory, I believe you have to set the common midi channel to the correct port and correct channel in which voytera is trasmitting. The clock received and trasmitted at the common midi channel.

Thank you for the response. The sad face icon is because I ended up calling Voyetra and they advised me they only use MTC!!!!! Gotta get different software now. They have a slightly more expensive version now called Producer midi that works on all codes.

#16078 - 10/09/03 03:44 PM Re: External Sync Clocks
sk880user Offline

I would recommend that you purchase Cubase SX2 or SL2

Thanks

[This message has been edited by sk880user (edited 10-09-2003).]

#16079 - 10/09/03 04:43 PM Re: External Sync Clocks
Chris A Offline

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ,
SK880: You are correct (I was thinking of another product). The port used for midi clock is indeed determined by the common channel port (the actual channel setting is ignored as midi clock is a channel independent message).

Jon: Re the above (thanks SK), check that the common channel port is the same as the port you're using for midi in, (turn off LOCK if it's on). Of course, if your software can't send clock then you're still not going to get the desired result.

I do remember you from Akron music. Your rep at that time was, I believe, Jay Valle (not me, I never worked as a rep).

All the best
Chris

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online