SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#160022 - 12/10/04 04:29 PM Buying new keyboard
Caragabal Offline

Loc: Hobart Tasmania Australia
I at present have a Technics KN920 and am looking to replace it.
At present I am thinking of purchasing a
Yamaha PSR5000.
In the price range would this be a good choice?
I am not a professional.

#160023 - 12/10/04 06:16 PM Re: Buying new keyboard
Scott Langholff Online   content

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
What are they asking for the PSR5000?

#160024 - 12/10/04 08:32 PM Re: Buying new keyboard
Tapas Offline

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona, USA
I guess you meant the new Yamaha PSR3000 model. Yes, please go ahead and make your purchase. This is the best arranger keyboard money can buy for $1400. No competition. You will not be disappointed. Think of this as a repackaged Tyros for half the price.

With the PSR3000, Yamaha has practically gobbled up the mid-range market, leaving the Pa1XPRO at the top end for a few serious musicians and the less than $200 toy range for Casio.

Tapas

#160025 - 12/10/04 08:58 PM Re: Buying new keyboard
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Tapas:
I guess you meant the new Yamaha PSR3000 model. Yes, please go ahead and make your purchase. This is the best arranger keyboard money can buy for $1400. No competition. You will not be disappointed. Think of this as a repackaged Tyros for half the price.

With the PSR3000, Yamaha has practically gobbled up the mid-range market, leaving the Pa1XPRO at the top end for a few serious musicians and the less than $200 toy range for Casio.

Tapas

While I must agree that the 3000 is a tremendous value for the dollar, to say it is essentially a Tyros is not exactly true. The Tyros has more polyphony, more sounds, more styles, more sound memory, hard drive, better keys, three right-hand voices available, lighted buttons, huge tilt-adjustable color display, more footswitch options, more dedicated operator buttons, more e.q. options, assignable aux outputs, more pedal inputs, mic trim where you can reach it, and much more.
Also, the PA1XPro is certainly not alone at the top. The Ketron SD1, Tyros, General Music Gynesys (can't spell it) and maybe the new Roland G70 all can make valid arguments for top-of-line status.
Also the Casio WK3500 fills a BIG hole at $399.
DonM

#160026 - 12/10/04 09:49 PM Re: Buying new keyboard
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Don,
The polyphony is the same on the Tyros and the PSR3000. Both have 128 and the Tyros does not include a hard drive. You have to buy one and add it inside. You can have a USB hard drive with the PSR3000. Although not all the styles in the Tyros are stock in the PSR3000, you can copy and paste all of the Tyros styles, or get them on the psrtutorial website and load them into the PSR3000.
I for one have sold dozens of tyros keyboards but now only sell the PSR3000. I think it is a better value.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
818-881-5566
(Retired 2021)

#160027 - 12/10/04 09:52 PM Re: Buying new keyboard
Tapas Offline

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona, USA
DonM,

I agree with you. No arguments here. The PSR3000 is certainly not a Tyros. But what amazes me is just how much of the original voices, effects, styles and features were retained in the newer version at this incredible price point. It’s a bargain!

In another post I made a comment about combining the PSR3000 with the Yamaha P250 digital piano. Sure this combo does not match the luxurious Clavinova CVP 309 with its striking piano black finish and brilliant LCD display and a boat load of features, but it does capture the heart of this beast for less than half the price.

The arranger market is getting tighter at the top end. Technics bailed out. It does not seem Yamaha is interested in making a truly pro level Tyros II. As you mentioned this leaves only a few manufacturers like Ketron and General Music to raise the bar and compete with Korg.

Tapas

#160028 - 12/10/04 11:14 PM Re: Buying new keyboard
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Tapas,
I only wish I had the luxury of keeping a Clavinova in my living room! I would have to learn new technique though, as I have always played the light-touch organ-type keys.
I did have a Roland G800 once, and the heavy keys left my fingers cramped and aching after a few 4-hour jobs. I also found it more difficult to emulate the various instruments.
Also, one of my top priorities is portability. The entertainment business has changed a lot in the past few years. The sit-down jobs are much fewer. I find myself doing 5 to 8 or more jobs a week, and often moving between each one.
It seems Yamaha is WAY ahead of the pack in the weight department. The PSR3000 is very light, as is the Tyros. After toting the G800, Solton X1 and PSR8000 around, the new generation of Yamahas is pure pleasure to carry!
I am toying with the idea of trying a light-weight controller and the new Ketron Midjay. Maybe after the holiday season is over I'll have a chance to experiment.
We each must determine which is the best board for our own needs.
Anyway, I didn't mean to be confrontational, I just wanted to mention other options.
DonM

#160029 - 12/11/04 07:39 AM Re: Buying new keyboard
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
As I've said in the past, if the Tyros had speakers and a USB drive connection similar to the 3000, I would buy one tomorrow.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#160030 - 12/11/04 10:09 AM Re: Buying new keyboard

Hi DonM

I'm with you, for me weight is at the top of my list. The idea of having the Midjay which is 7 lbs and a controller keyboard that weighs around 7 lbs sounds very appealling to me.

Right now I am awaiting a reply from Ketron to see which are the styles as in live play on the demos on their website.

Since I have never heard a Ketron, I would like to ask those that have if they could compare the sound with a Tyros and a PSR2000, as those I've heard.

I've also heard the KN7000 and the PA80, neither of which suits my tastes.

I realize the sound thing is very subjective as some of the keyboards that some people think are great I don't like at all, just as some may not care for Yamaha, but, I'd like to be able to get some kind of feel, if I can on the Ketron tone.

Scott Langholff

#160031 - 12/11/04 10:12 AM Re: Buying new keyboard

It kind of looks like this thread got hijacked, so I'm going to start a new thread on the Ketron thing.

I would still like to know how much Caragabal wants to spend.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online