SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#15986 - 05/31/02 08:09 AM Play your dreams
Vic01 Offline

Loc: Madison, Wisconsin USA
GEM has the new Genesys listed on there website now. Here's the link.
http://gem.generalmusic.com/en/products/genesys/genesys.html

#15987 - 05/31/02 09:32 AM Re: Play your dreams
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
It's ugly, and it's not portable. that's not MY dream!

#15988 - 05/31/02 10:52 AM Re: Play your dreams
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
Uncle Dave,

Would you consider a portable version of this model?

#15989 - 05/31/02 11:03 AM Re: Play your dreams
Vic01 Offline

You are sure right on the weight Uncle Dave. Almost sixty pounds !! Might be ok in the studio but for gigging, I don't think so. I wonder where they are hiding the 5th speaker ? I only see 2 per side in the picture unless it comes with an external subwoofer. I'm not real crazy over the looks of any of the new keyboards myself. My wk8 is looking better everyday. Maybe manufaturers should design an arranger keyboard that would interface more efficantly with a pc rather and "all in one" design because unless I miss my guess the pc is here to stay for a while.

#15990 - 05/31/02 07:59 PM Re: Play your dreams
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by Vic01:
I wonder where they are hiding the 5th speaker

My old Roland E86 had a sub woofer on the bottom of the kb - maybe that's where it is.
I must admit ... even if they make a smaller, more portable unit, unless it really sounds alot better than EVERY other GEM I've heard .... I can't get excited.
Maybe it's an American thing (like Soccer) but I just do not like the sounds in any GEM keyboards I've heard so far. Sure, there are a few sounds that are ok, but on the whole - the line leaves me wanting more.

#15991 - 06/09/02 07:00 AM Re: Play your dreams
JoostMerema Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Two things I notice:

2Gbyte internal hard disk (2.5”, EIDE), HD Recording & sampling (16 bit/44.1kHz); Is that not a strange combination nowdays? 2 GB in my opinion is way to small for all the styles, songs and sample data in combination with hard disk recording. 10 GB would be more standard; Maybe Cris can tell us if the OS supports more than 2 GB?

The other thing I noticed; the whole instrument is coloured in somekind of angel-silver. Except the CD-R drive. What the hack? I hope the picture was taken from a dummie/test model, because I think it makes it double ugly...

Anyway, the weight for a workstation without weigthed piano keys is too much. In Holland, the Government would allow you to lift more than 23 kg if you are working. No kidding; I have the same with my Equinox 88 Pro And I wouldn't dare speculating about the financial weight

greetings!

Joost

PS Would there be anyone interested in sharing Equinox files? -> please reply in the topic I will open

#15992 - 06/09/02 08:10 AM Re: Play your dreams
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
Joost,

good point. 2 GIG cannot be used for recording. It has to be .... at least 10GIG and even then you are walking on thin ice.

Second is the weight. They got to do something with the weight. Maybe the same Genesys but with smaller speakers.

It seems to me that is a basis model for future models which will be more robust, smaller and lighter.

But otherwise, it is extremely interesting. I do not mind waiting an additional six months or more in order for them to get it right.

#15993 - 06/09/02 02:11 PM Re: Play your dreams
Vic01 Offline

Hi all. As a studio/songwriter/demo cd machine the Genesys could very well rock. 2 gigs for recording is definitely not enough though !! I was very surprised to see a 2 gig drive in a machine that boosts a cd burner. Once you load styles/songs etc to that drive there's not going to be much room left for audio anything. As far as the weight is concerned, this is a major problem. sounds like there's a good deal of weight tied up in the speaker system. Can you say psr9000 !! As far as looks go I think my wk8 looks much better. The features look real good though. Put it on a diet and give it a 40 gig drive and well see.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online