SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#159660 - 01/03/04 04:28 PM Reading or playing by ear- The big question
Grubba99 Offline

Are you guys playing by ear or reading sheet music? Is it worthwhile to learn to read notes? Just curious to hear ur opinions.

#159661 - 01/03/04 04:48 PM Re: Reading or playing by ear- The big question
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
This topic has been discussed several times. As for me, with the exception of guitar tabs, I can't read a note, but usually, if I hear a song one or two times, I can usually play it. Most of the folks that are performers and can read music, also rely heavily on their ear. I know some folks who can read music extremely well, but if you take that sheet music from in front of them they must stop playing--the songs are not in their head. If you can do both, it is an assett, but if you're limited to just one, and you want to be a performer as well, playing by ear can be highly beneficial.

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#159662 - 01/03/04 05:09 PM Re: Reading or playing by ear- The big question
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I can read music, but I try not to let it mess up my playing.
DonM www.donmasonmusic.com

#159663 - 01/03/04 06:20 PM Re: Reading or playing by ear- The big question
KN_Fan Offline

Did the classical piano from six to twelve years old, my latest book I believe was "Kuhlau" (Scott should know this), but now my reading is HORRIBLE. I know I have nothing to show you guys but I can tell you that my playing is good enough to got hired by one of the local production studio- and one of the songs got played on Food TV network.

Shameless self justification/promotion aside I think it's good to at least learn to sight read a little bit and know the chord charts for sure. Combined with the hearing, it'll be an awesome combination.

I'm thinking of retaking some of my college music classes to possibly teach pianos to 7-10 year olds.

#159664 - 01/03/04 06:47 PM Re: Reading or playing by ear- The big question
Smokey Offline

Loc: Colorado
Chet Atkins told a reporter that he could read music, but not enough to hurt his playing.

#159665 - 01/03/04 07:25 PM Re: Reading or playing by ear- The big question
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I read music, but mostly lead sheets anymore. Left hand has always been a slow read for me. I'm pretty good at learnning by reading while I'm listening to a recording, but can read thru a piece if I have to. I remember most of what I learn (even my church music). I hate reading music or lyrics on stage, but time has taken its toll and now I keep a stand and a ring binder nearby. Lots of stuff I can also pick up by ear, especially if it's standard chord progressions.

#159666 - 01/03/04 07:29 PM Re: Reading or playing by ear- The big question
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Grubba99:
Is it worthwhile to learn to read notes?

There's no question it's more fun to not have to read the music, so it comes down to what you are doing with music, what your goals are, and what your needs might be in the future. If everything points in the direction of NOT needing to read, then forget if.

But if there is either doubt or you have enough time on your hands, then learn how to read... and practice your sight reading. It won't hurt and it could pay off some time in the furture. A big advantage I've enjoyed in being able to read is that I can look at a sheet of notation and immediately "hear" the music in my head.

#159667 - 01/03/04 07:33 PM Re: Reading or playing by ear- The big question
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I think reading is beneficial,even more important is music theory. Learning chord structure will even improve your playing by ear..It is true reading music can be a crutch, but I believe reading is a sound foundation for performing...Some of the seemingly most talented players I know are classical trained, and when it comes to playing pop music and reading chords[understanding chords], they are out to lunch....very strange...I remember college days, the best musicians were the guys like me , that were able to read and understand theory....Learn all you can and apply it in the best way that works for you..When it comes to voicing great alternative chords, reading is a must to understand what makes chords work together..this is very difficult by ear alone..Right Scott?

#159668 - 01/03/04 09:03 PM Re: Reading or playing by ear- The big question
Dnj Offline

Either...... Way......Practice....practice.....and more practice....and even then there is no guarantee....its gotta be inside you!!!
You gotta Love it!!!

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 01-03-2004).]

#159669 - 01/03/04 09:26 PM Re: Reading or playing by ear- The big question
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Years ago I did most everything from fake books, either commercial or my own. Then I realized that the songs I was doing didn't sound much like the recordings, so I started learning them from chord charts (usually have to figure them out and make them yourself) and listening to recordings.
More and more these days, audiences expect you to sound more true to the recordings. Of course I still do lots of songs in my "own style", but current songs need to sound close to the way people hear them on the radio. Sight reading doesn't lend itself to this.
DonM

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online