SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#159561 - 12/29/04 07:53 AM Re: Nursing Home Praise & Worship and Hymns
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Aw Dave...now you've done it...she'll go crying to Cody (or somebody...too funny!).

(Your New Years job sounded like fun)

Russ

#159562 - 12/29/04 08:08 AM Re: Nursing Home Praise & Worship and Hymns
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Jimmy...thought about your post a lot last night.

I play six times a year for a huge all denomimational music event as a soloist with a large group of musicians. There is a Holiness church in town where the best musicians compete for a position (B-3, Rhodes, two guitars, bass, drums, percussion and choir). It's a blast!

As a caretaker for years for a father and mother-in law who have been in a number of assisted living facilities and nursing homes, I can't imagine that the selections you mentioned would not offend someone, if the venue was a non-denominational nursing home or assisted living facility. At the one I'm associated with now, there are over 180 residents...43 are not Christians.

It's a diverse world and you have to be careful. You may offend, but the audience may not complain vocally.

Religious music is great, at the right time and the right place.

I have a lot of respect for musicians who play religious music.

You just have to be careful that your best intentions are not misunderstood.

Best regards,

Russ

#159563 - 12/29/04 09:49 AM Re: Nursing Home Praise & Worship and Hymns
ByRequest Offline

Loc: Cullman, AL USA
Boy did this one catch me by surprise.
I live in Alabama, right in the middle of the "Bible Belt". Just the opposite is true down here.

Sure, you would let the director know the type of music that you planned to play. (I can't picture him or her not asking in the first place.)

Singing about "Jesus", reading or quoting verses from the bible and closing with a word of prayer is so common place that the above answers really caught me off guard.

As for the type of songs, it's the songs that they grew up with in church. Nothing contempary; just songs about Jesus and the Blood.

Those that are able are "going to meeting" as we say down here. Raised hands, tears in the eyes, and praises to their Lord and Savior.

Guess I need to get out more. I think am living a sheltered life.

And Graham, I believe you are on a mission with a message.

From the other replies I gather that you may be met with resistance. And that would explain why a higher calling was needed.

You won't have to force yourself or God on anyone.

You are trying to look ahead to find a "Market" for your music. That's a good thing.

But don't be surprise if one day you can look over your shoulder and see that "Market" following you. Your calling comes with a responsibility. Don't sell yourself short. Fight the good fight.

Floyd

#159564 - 12/29/04 10:06 AM Re: Nursing Home Praise & Worship and Hymns
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Floyd, isn't Culman where they have the peanut festival? Maybe it's Dothan--I used to go to it years ago.
DonM in Louisiana

[This message has been edited by DonM (edited 12-29-2004).]

#159565 - 12/29/04 10:37 AM Re: Nursing Home Praise & Worship and Hymns
ByRequest Offline

Loc: Cullman, AL USA
Hello Don,
Dothan is where the National Peanut Festival is held. But we do have a Strawberry Festival here in Cullman.

In October we closed down a couple of the city streets for the October-Fest and there we can be found literally dancing in the street.

We don't need much of a reason to celebrate.

Out of towners say it's the closest thing to
Mayberry that have ever seen.

Floyd

#159566 - 12/29/04 11:28 AM Re: Nursing Home Praise & Worship and Hymns
PraiseTheLord Offline

Loc: N Fort Myers, FL, USA
Wow, Floyd that was so inspirational, thank you!

------------------
Graham

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online