Nursing Home Praise & Worship and Hymns

Posted by: PraiseTheLord

Nursing Home Praise & Worship and Hymns - 12/27/04 08:46 AM

I have seen the other threads on advice on playing in Nursing Homes, which has been very helpful.

But does anyone have experience of what specific hymns or praise and worship songs are appreciated by the seniors there. I know exactly what songs our church likes now, but am trying to put together a set for a broader audience.

------------------
Graham
Posted by: Scottyee

Re: Nursing Home Praise & Worship and Hymns - 12/27/04 10:27 AM

Unless the nursing home (or any venue for that matters) is christian demonition specific, I avoid performing christian hyms and worship songs. On the other hand, certain songs like "Amazing Grace" are appreciated by most audiences & appreciated as secular music. When performing to a diverse (both religious & non-religious) audience, I always avoid songs with specific references to Jesus, Ala, or any other religious diety. On the other hand, I do perform songs with references to God (in the universal religious sense). One of my favorites that I frequently include in my shows is: "The Rose", which was recorded by both Bette Midler & Conway Twitty.

Scott
Posted by: captain Russ

Re: Nursing Home Praise & Worship and Hymns - 12/27/04 11:08 AM

Graham. I agree with Scott. These days, it seems like everyone is offended by something. Unless you're very sure of the religious affiliation of the establishment and/or the residents, I'd go the safe route.
I don't do assisted living or nursing home work, but am caretaker for people who are in such establishments. Frankly, a few of the volunteer religious groups (preachers, musicians, etc.) were a little over the top.

You also have to be concerned with a conflict in the beliefs of the members of the residents' families.

The object is to entertain, not minister to, unless that is pre approved by the establishment.

It would be a shame to have your good intentions offend or be misunderstood.

Choosing the right approach is tricky.
Keep in mind, people choose to go to a specific church, but residents of nursing homes and assisted living establishments don't have a choice. Therefore, it's probably safest to play sometheing ALL residents can enjoy and relate to.

Best of luck...you're doing a good thing.

Russ

Re: Nursing Home Praise & Worship and Hymns - 12/27/04 12:23 PM

Thanks guys, but don't worry I am completely open about the ministry I want to offer to the Nursing Home.

I have personally been called by God to do this, but in the same way that God does not force himself into our lives, nor will I impose myself on others.

------------------
Graham
Posted by: Bill in Dayton

Re: Nursing Home Praise & Worship and Hymns - 12/27/04 01:36 PM

Graham-

Like Scott said, this can be a bit tricky...

I personally do NOT play any sacred songs, period. Its not what I do, and not what I'm typically hired to provide.

Another angle to consider involves the person doing the hiring. Usually an Activity Director, if they have brought you in under the expectation of doing religous based music, then you're in safe ground. If they've hired you to come in and perform non sacred songs or even a variety...I'd strongly suggest clearing your plan with the AD.

That said, familiarity is probably the best way to go. Trust me (and Scott) when we tell you these places are inundated with well-intentioned people who donate their talents & time to play hyms and such. The most common feedback I hear from my AD's is that even though they mean well, they're not able to perform at a level that is generally pleasing to the residents. As a result, since they've heard these hymns 300 this week alone in all liklihood, they tune out...leave the room, etc. All of which isn't good.

I'd suggest you stick to the standard ones that everyone does but make sure you do them in a way that the audience enjoys. You don't need to reinvent the wheel, your musical skills will likely reveal your talent and compliment your overall goal in venues like this nicely.

Good luck-

Bill in Dayton
Posted by: R-F

Re: Nursing Home Praise & Worship and Hymns - 12/27/04 03:45 PM

Hi,
gigs in a Christian nursing home are not completely different to gigs in non Christian nursing homes.
Maybe it could be a difference, that songs working fine in non Christian homes, may not please the event manager in Christian homes.
Once at a Christmas event, I‘m asked to play songs like "For he's a jolly good fellow", Polkas & co!!!!
Could be and maybe work in non Christian homes, but in Christian homes the meaning of Christmas is very important.
At Christmas events, usually I play Christmas carols like "Silent Night", winter pop songs like "Jingle Bells"/ "Rudolph the red nosed..." and softer pop - and it works everywhere.
The best way is to ask the event manager about songs, you may not play.
So some songs or some bands are unwanted in Christian cycles and may not satisfy the event managers.
Sometimes not reasonable, but you are serving and you have to respect the event managers requests, it's not a concert.
You remember about the topic, what songs to play in a Jewish Home?
It's a bit similar here, because it‘s a question of your sensibility.
At least, if the event is not a worship service or a evangelization, there is no need to play music with a Christian message. You're not hired to lead the audience to Christ.
With the popular gospel tunes, you may not be wrong, but other Christian songs may unknown.
For example, if you play ”Give Thanks“ the audience may think ”Should this be ’Go West‘ as ballad?“
But without Christian songs it's possible to touch the people‘s hearts and to make the people feeling better and you may be humble in the knowledge "My talent is a gift of God". I do it so and can serve without preaching the gospel. A Christian brick layer does not build church buildings only.
A happy new year!

------------------
Regards
RF
Posted by: synerjim

Re: Nursing Home Praise & Worship and Hymns - 12/27/04 03:52 PM

Hi Graham,
Even on secular gathering, i usually play few universal worship songs like How Great Thou Art, Amazing Grace, some contemporary praise songs like Seek Ye First, Glorify Thy Name, Israelites song like Hatikvoh, Hava Nagila, Shabath Shalom, Go Down Moses etc without offending anyone. I usually start the get-together by praising our Almighty Father in Heaven & thanking the host of the party.
Jimmy

Re: Nursing Home Praise & Worship and Hymns - 12/28/04 09:52 AM

Thanks everyone, I promise I will discuss with the Activity Director that Christian praise & worship music is what I am offering. Time will tell how large my market will be, but sometimes we have to learn things the hard way!
My next gig is already on the home's calendar as "Let's Sing Praise". But I'll be sensitive to watch for the points you raise!
Jimmy, thanks, I have an upbeat version of How Great Thou Art, and I'll work on as upbeat a version for Amazing Grace as I can. Usually I play an organ version of this at funerals, and I don't want to put that in everyone's mind! I don't know some of the songs you list, so I'll go researching!!

------------------
Graham
Posted by: R-F

Re: Nursing Home Praise & Worship and Hymns - 12/28/04 02:52 PM

Hi,
well you want perform Christian music only, so I would ask churches and christian organisations and look to have gigs at evangelizations.
Here a link for the MIDIs you possibly want Maranatha Music
and a link for worship (is Roland related but many thinks are global) Roland US/ Worship
Maybe this will help you.

------------------
Regards
RF
Posted by: Uncle Dave

Re: Nursing Home Praise & Worship and Hymns - 12/28/04 08:15 PM

Aggghghhhhh !!!!!!!! Help me !!!!!!
I just clicked on the link above and saw Kathy Lee Gifford pop onto my screen ! Frightening ! ( Ew..... now I have to wash my screen..... )

Re: Nursing Home Praise & Worship and Hymns - 12/29/04 07:53 AM

Aw Dave...now you've done it...she'll go crying to Cody (or somebody...too funny!).

(Your New Years job sounded like fun)

Russ

Re: Nursing Home Praise & Worship and Hymns - 12/29/04 08:08 AM

Jimmy...thought about your post a lot last night.

I play six times a year for a huge all denomimational music event as a soloist with a large group of musicians. There is a Holiness church in town where the best musicians compete for a position (B-3, Rhodes, two guitars, bass, drums, percussion and choir). It's a blast!

As a caretaker for years for a father and mother-in law who have been in a number of assisted living facilities and nursing homes, I can't imagine that the selections you mentioned would not offend someone, if the venue was a non-denominational nursing home or assisted living facility. At the one I'm associated with now, there are over 180 residents...43 are not Christians.

It's a diverse world and you have to be careful. You may offend, but the audience may not complain vocally.

Religious music is great, at the right time and the right place.

I have a lot of respect for musicians who play religious music.

You just have to be careful that your best intentions are not misunderstood.

Best regards,

Russ
Posted by: ByRequest

Re: Nursing Home Praise & Worship and Hymns - 12/29/04 09:49 AM

Boy did this one catch me by surprise.
I live in Alabama, right in the middle of the "Bible Belt". Just the opposite is true down here.

Sure, you would let the director know the type of music that you planned to play. (I can't picture him or her not asking in the first place.)

Singing about "Jesus", reading or quoting verses from the bible and closing with a word of prayer is so common place that the above answers really caught me off guard.

As for the type of songs, it's the songs that they grew up with in church. Nothing contempary; just songs about Jesus and the Blood.

Those that are able are "going to meeting" as we say down here. Raised hands, tears in the eyes, and praises to their Lord and Savior.

Guess I need to get out more. I think am living a sheltered life.

And Graham, I believe you are on a mission with a message.

From the other replies I gather that you may be met with resistance. And that would explain why a higher calling was needed.

You won't have to force yourself or God on anyone.

You are trying to look ahead to find a "Market" for your music. That's a good thing.

But don't be surprise if one day you can look over your shoulder and see that "Market" following you. Your calling comes with a responsibility. Don't sell yourself short. Fight the good fight.

Floyd
Posted by: DonM

Re: Nursing Home Praise & Worship and Hymns - 12/29/04 10:06 AM

Floyd, isn't Culman where they have the peanut festival? Maybe it's Dothan--I used to go to it years ago.
DonM in Louisiana

[This message has been edited by DonM (edited 12-29-2004).]
Posted by: ByRequest

Re: Nursing Home Praise & Worship and Hymns - 12/29/04 10:37 AM

Hello Don,
Dothan is where the National Peanut Festival is held. But we do have a Strawberry Festival here in Cullman.

In October we closed down a couple of the city streets for the October-Fest and there we can be found literally dancing in the street.

We don't need much of a reason to celebrate.

Out of towners say it's the closest thing to
Mayberry that have ever seen.

Floyd

Re: Nursing Home Praise & Worship and Hymns - 12/29/04 11:28 AM

Wow, Floyd that was so inspirational, thank you!

------------------
Graham