SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#15930 - 01/27/07 05:30 PM question for Dave re new OS..
keysvocalssax Offline

Loc: Miami FL nov-may/Lakeville CT ...
Hi Dave:
whatever happened to the new OS for ProS you said Gem
was feverishly working on back in September in response to my criticism of the flawed archaic one? (and i'm sure there must have been many others..what company redesigns an OS for one person?)

------------------
Miami Mo

#15931 - 01/30/07 04:30 PM Re: question for Dave re new OS..
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by keysvocalssax:
Hi Dave:
whatever happened to the new OS for ProS you said Gem
was feverishly working on back in September in response to my criticism of the flawed archaic one? (and i'm sure there must have been many others..what company redesigns an OS for one person?)

Why does it matter anyway? You sold your Genesys. But since you asked so nicely;

There is nothing at all wrong with the current operating system. Many professional players (me included) use the Genesys and are very happy with its operation. The fact that you were not comfortable with its functionality simply means that it was not the right instrument for you.

As for your question, it may be hard for you to believe but yes, we were trying to accommodate you alone to make you happy with your purchase. I am not saying that a new operating system can be created for every customer, but I pushed to get this done for you. Then in the middle of the process, you sold your Genesys so I asked that the custom work be halted so the software engineers could focus on other projects.

Again, I am very sorry that the Genesys didn't perform to your liking and I did try very hard to come up with alternative procedures that would work for you but in the end you felt that another instrument would suit you better. At that time I wished you well and hopefully you have found an instrument more to your liking.

Honestly, I really see no reason for your post.

Dave

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
Nat'l Product and Support Manager
Generalmusic USA
GEM Community Forums

#15932 - 01/30/07 05:38 PM Re: question for Dave re new OS..
miden Offline

Loc: The World
hmm seems fair enough ...btw dave if i may ask, are there any new developments on the horizon for the Genesys XP?
dennis

#15933 - 01/30/07 06:52 PM Re: question for Dave re new OS..
keysvocalssax Offline

Dave, the reason for my post is that my unit is still sitting unsold on the floor at Laut's Music since late October, and poor Ginger is asking me if i know anyone who could be interested, and i had to tell her that until there was a new OS, i could not in good conscience recommend the unit to anyone, but if there was a good new OS i might myself be interested in repurchasing it, inasmuch as the price will be much more affordable than originally, and there were many things i liked about the unit, namely appearance, the excellent keybed, the rich sounds once the cheesy effects programmed by Gem were removed, the really nice vocalizer w/pitch correction, the handy 3-big-pedal foot controller, the CD burning capability. But the archaic OS-which just about everyone i have ever corresponded with or spoken to who is familiar with it agrees it is- became just too much of an impediment, and along with the fact
that it is heavy and overpriced I took the golden opportunity presented to me to recover my investment.

I think I was within my rights as a consumer and tried my
best to work through all the problems with the OS..there
were some originally due to my unfamiliarity, but in the
final analysis there were so many problems that were unrelated to my comfort level or being used to other kb's,
it was just self-evident it needed a serious OS update.
Your insistence that there is nothing wrong, that it is just
a matter of personal taste is contradicted by all the flaws
I pointed out to you that you had no remedy for.

I think it was, and is, uncalled for, for you to have treated
me as some sort of Benedict Arnold..and I resent that
implication you still hold to..as well as your disingenous
polyannish defense of the existing OS, since you do know
better, don't you? Your petulance in the face of my intention to be rid of the unit was quite amazing to me from someone who professes to be a pro. Your telling me
that you were in the process of redoing an OS just for me,
without informing me of your intention to do so, is quite
unbelievable..what kind of fool do you take me for? if you were to go to all that trouble, why wouldn't you make the
improved OS available to everyone? They all could use it,
heaven knows--it is a lunatic notion that the OS is great,
and that I am just some crank who needs to have it done
differently, and that you and your company are so wonderful as to bend over backwards to accomodate me, and that you were going to surprise me with it when i so
let you down by saying i was looking to sell it. boo-hoo.

It is laudable that you are so personally attentive to customers and spend so much time giving of yourself to help people through their tribulations with the Gem products--but you wouldn't need to do so much if the
products were better designed.

i think you get off being the knight in shining armor
do-gooder for that half-ass company you work for--and
you don't care for someone like me who calls a spade a spade and won't give you unqualified applause and adulation like you are used to, and obviously thrive on. Gem's drawbacks are actually your greatest boon.

Your reluctance to answer many emails when i was never rude but merely critical, and needed more help-- show you are not such a Boy Scout as you pretend.

and you and your company have done all your customers
a disservice by not offering everyone the OS changes you claimed you were working on just for me. yeah, right.

the reason for my post was to see if there actually was a
new OS imminent, as a way to reconsider repurchasing my unit. but now that there is obviously none, never was one, this post becomes a payback for your fraudulent and superior attitude.

just one guy who doesn't buy into your fan club. boo-hoo.

------------------
Miami Mo

#15934 - 01/31/07 11:00 AM Re: question for Dave re new OS..
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by miden:
hmm seems fair enough ...btw dave if i may ask, are there any new developments on the horizon for the Genesys XP?
dennis

Hi Dennis,

Not that I am aware of. What do you have in mind?

Dave

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
Generalmusic USA
GEM Community Forums

#15935 - 01/31/07 02:23 PM Re: question for Dave re new OS..
miden Offline

Loc: The World
hi dave,
thanks for the reply...i guess i was wondering if there is a new model coming, which might drop the price out here in Oz for the old one...its still a bit pricey out here...i'd like to add it to the s90es i have, as i am finding OMB software a bit too fiddly...anyhoo that was all
cheers
dennis

#15936 - 01/31/07 09:12 PM Re: question for Dave re new OS..
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by miden:
hi dave,
thanks for the reply...i guess i was wondering if there is a new model coming, which might drop the price out here in Oz for the old one...its still a bit pricey out here...i'd like to add it to the s90es i have, as i am finding OMB software a bit too fiddly...anyhoo that was all
cheers
dennis

Hi Dennis,

At the moment I have not heard of anything new in the arranger/module area. That would be nice though.

Best Regards,

Dave

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
Generalmusic USA
GEM Community Forums

#15937 - 02/03/07 11:54 AM Re: question for Dave re new OS..
Jerry Mullikin Offline

Loc: Grand Junction, CO USA
Hello Miami Mo,

To paraphrase some of your comments regarding the OS,Genesys and, GEM music: Heavy, bad OS, overpriced, cheesy effects, poor design, and half-assed company. Yet, you say you were considering repurchase of the unit. I think if I felt that way about anything and I had been able to recover my original investment, I certainly wouldn't consider re-buying the item no matter what had been done to improve it. Also, it seems to me that if all those things were wrong with it and you bought it anyway, you didn't do a very good job of checking the item out to start with. I currently own a Genesys and a Promega 3, both of which I am very satisfied with. And, outside of you, I can't recall seeing anyone say that the OS was archiac/bad. I'm pretty happy with it myself. I admit I am not a professional player as you may well be, so maybe my criteria is different than yours. That being said, I wonder what you replaced the Genesys with, that is so much better.

Next, while Dave needs absolutely no one to stand up for him, I think your attack on his integrity, professionalism, etc. was way off the mark. I have always found Dave to be more than willing to help anyone with a problem they are having with a GEM product, even those who are outside(non-USA) owners of those products. I have seen Dave post hundreds of replies to queries about how to solve a problem, gain maximum benefit from the unit, and generally learn to enjoy using the items they have purchased. I will also say that many of those queries came from me. He has always been prompt in providing in-depth information and has gladly answered follow-up questions. While no product is 100% satisfactory to everyone, I think you did not do your homework and are now pointing fingers at someone who had absolutely nothing to do with your decision to purchase the Genesys. Grow up and take responsibility for your own actions and don't try to lay blame on someone else because you are not satisfied with what you bought. Buyer Beware!! Ever heard of that?

I hope this has given you a little food for thought. Take care and good luck with whatever musical instrument you are using now.

Phestus

#15938 - 02/03/07 12:40 PM Re: question for Dave re new OS..
keysvocalssax Offline

Phestus,
what's with the emotional outburst? I plainly credited Dave with being normally extremely helpful , but I explained he was not helpful when I criticized the OS as "flawed"--rather he treated it as a betrayal that I was making noises about selling it. I stand by that criticism, and offered Dave specific examples of the shortcomings of the OS (btw, that OS is not fundamentally different from the WK OS of 1995, so archaic is not an inaccurate description!) He agreed that the performance buttons programming was a problem, and had no answer for several other features of the OS operation that were just
not up to par with anything a machine of that class would be expected to accomplish competently. He admitted it in a way by saying they were working on a new OS for me.
(which I do not believe--I believe they may have been working on a new OS due to several customers' feedback, but as of this date have either not completed it or decided to abandon it)Why would they do that if there was nothing wrong with the original?

Buyer beware is right on, but we all make mistakes, especially when it's so hard to get a demo anywhere. I owned a Gem sk76 that i liked some things about, and i
was led, or led myself, to believe that the ProS was a great advancement over the SK76. But although it did have many new styles and sounds, and several capabilities the sk did not, like cd burning and vocalizer...the OS was about the same, only even less convenient to use for live
playing because some global features were eliminated.

Re your not considering rebuying an item no matter what they did with it, i don't understand why not? I specifically
said i liked a lot about the ProS. I removed the cheesy effects. I figured a way to add wheels and a handle directly to it so the weight would be less unweildy (if i got it back),
and my argument is totally about the OS.. a great new OS would be a reason to repurchase, especially sinced the
"overpriced" would not be an issue because the price i
could repurchase at would be much lower.

I can understand that the kind of service Dave is normally known for would inspire some to rally to his defense, but i don't find any of your arguments other than that to have any validity at all, and my experience with Dave as someone who was not a happy camper showed a much different side of him to me than he shows to those who just need service, instruction, and advice--at which he excels.

------------------
Miami Mo

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online