SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#159068 - 11/19/04 06:02 AM Drowning In A Sea Of Love, help
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
EDIT: Never mind... I think it's gotta be Eadd9.

=

Bandmate had a CD by a sax player named Kirk Whalum (with band). A cover on there is Drowning In A Sea Of Love (Joe Simon) and it's the best I've ever heard. I don't know who is singing, a female, very good r&b voice. A great groove, very danceable. I'm kinda slow this morning and I can't figure this out exactly like I want. The song starts with the chorus.

This is what I hear.

[ CHORUS: ]
. . . . . . . . . . . . . Bm
I've been down one time
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Bm
And I've been down two times
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . D
But right now I'm drowning
. Eadd9 . . . . . . . . . . . Bm
Drowning in the sea of love

In the verse, later, there's an F# between the Eadd9 and the Bm but in the chorus, they stay on the Eadd9.

That Eadd9 chord is what's bugging me. It's something close to that. Maybe it's a bit more of a jazzier chord. Should be simple. I keep going between E7 and Eadd9 but it might be something different. Any ideas what it might be?

P.S. Obviously, I'm not posting a file (can't find one), just wondering if you might know what it MIGHT be. (I'm no theory expert.) Eva Cassidy also did a cover of this, I'll listen to hers. But this particular one is really good.

[This message has been edited by SemiLiveMusic (edited 11-19-2004).]

#159069 - 11/19/04 07:55 AM Re: Drowning In A Sea Of Love, help
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...

#159070 - 11/19/04 08:13 AM Re: Drowning In A Sea Of Love, help
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
SemiLive, for richer jazzy sound, I suggest adding the 7th to the Bm and Eadd9 chords. I like the D to remain a primary triad though.

Bm7
E9

btw: I noticed that Sample recorded the tune in Am, much easier to play (ergonomicaly speaking) on the keyboard,

Scott

#159071 - 11/19/04 08:43 AM Re: Drowning In A Sea Of Love, help
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
SemiLive, for richer jazzy sound, I suggest adding the 7th to the Bm and Eadd9 chords. I like the D to remain a primary triad though.

Bm7
E9

btw: I noticed that Sample recorded the tune in Am, much easier to play (ergonomicaly speaking) on the keyboard,

Scott

Yeah, I first had it as E9, not Eadd9 but I'll be playing this on guitar (with bandmates) and sometimes, Eadd9 sounds more like it. I go back and forth, trying to decide which one. As for the Bm7, I'll try that. The Kirk Whalam band didn't do it in Am, PLUS, I'm sliding on the guitar, so Am won't work. A lot of reason this Kirk Whalum version is so kick butt is the drums. Plus, a pretty sparse arrangement. Some organ, bass, guitar, drums, sax. Just a great groove. And whoever the singer is, she's really good.

#159072 - 11/19/04 09:11 AM Re: Drowning In A Sea Of Love, help
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
This tune has been around for awhile. I first heard this tune as recorded by Boz Scaggs on his greatest hits CD. He has some songs that are really great.

Regards,

Jerry

Jerry

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online