SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#15907 - 11/08/03 06:28 AM Generalmusic S3T
Jokeyman Offline

I have recently acquired an S3T and aside from this being more fun than a barrel of monkeys-what a powerful instrument! I'd like to know some technical info about the memory chips in the turbokit board. Does anyone out here know what type of chips are used for the RAMdisk? I have 512K and I'd like to upgrade it to 2Mb. I'd also like info about the 2MB sample RAM chips-I know the Equinox sample memory can be expanded, but how about this one? And is the GEM Club worthwhile for techno junkies like me? Thanks.

#15908 - 11/08/03 12:41 PM Re: Generalmusic S3T
Chris A Offline

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ,
Interesting that you mention GEM Club because, when you started asking about those RAMdisk chips my first thought was "I bet Dave Williams (of GEM Club) still has those in stock". Drop him a line, I'm sure he'll be able to give you all the necessary info (even if you just want to source some chips yourself).

Chris

P.S I just noticed the 2nd part of your msg: The 2MB sample RAM was not expandable like the Equinox. It was hard soldered onto the main board and there were no slots for expansion.

[This message has been edited by Chris A (edited 11-08-2003).]

#15909 - 11/08/03 06:34 PM Re: Generalmusic S3T
Jokeyman Offline

Thanks for the information, Chris. I can live without the extra sample RAM, but the extra RAMdisk memory would be helpful. Another question-is there a function for saving one edited sound to the floppy drive? Or must I always save any edited sounds (not performances) with an entire sound library at once? Maybe I'm missing something but I can't figure this out.

#15910 - 11/09/03 06:28 PM Re: Generalmusic S3T
Chris A Offline

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ,
Best as I can recall you can only save entire libraries and not single sounds. You can however LOAD individual sounds using SOUND LIBRARY>IMPORT

Chris

#15911 - 11/09/03 08:13 PM Re: Generalmusic S3T
Jokeyman Offline

OK, thanks again Chris. Hope to stay with this discussion group. If I can pass on anything to help, I will. I have downloaded several useful S2-S3 files from this webpage, the only one I've been able to find:
http://members.xoom.virgilio.it/turbopage/. I know this is an older GEM instrument-but best feeling spring-action keyboard I've played, and a very interesting instrument-maybe I better check out the GEM-club.

#15912 - 11/12/03 11:24 AM Re: Generalmusic S3T
PaulD Offline

Loc: Eugene, OR
One of my favorite features about this instrument is the poly aftertouch. This instrument can do some very cool things, which a lot cannot do. The poly aftertouch is my favorite.

#15913 - 11/12/03 03:49 PM Re: Generalmusic S3T
Jokeyman Offline

Yessir-first time I hit a few chords and noticed each note within the chord was panning differently depending on independent key-pressure-whew! Just finished creating 10 arrangements for a show I'm doing in December-ability to transpose entire arrangements with one keypress is very nice. Better stop-I'm sounding like a commercial! Like to upgrade the RAMdisk from 512k to 2megs-another great idea, although I have yet to fill up the RAMdisk-like to have enough memory to save a sound library or two. Shouldn't be greedy I guess!

#15914 - 11/12/03 08:21 PM Re: Generalmusic S3T
dogman Offline

Loc: arlington, texas, usa
Hi folks. Could someone describe what is a General Music S3T ?, and is there a picture and description of it somewhere on the internet ? Thanks.

#15915 - 11/13/03 03:10 AM Re: Generalmusic S3T
Jokeyman Offline

Dogman,
Check this link for a picture and specs. http://www.sonicstate.com/synth/generalmusics3-turbo.cfm
There isn't much about the S3T in the States, some webpages from Europe, but you'll have to translate. Also, read the reviews on this site, the first review is mine: www.harmony-central.com/Synth/Data/Generalmusic/S3-Turbo-01.html

#15916 - 11/13/03 01:46 PM Re: Generalmusic S3T
PaulD Offline

Loc: Eugene, OR
Jokeyman, I am glad to have another Generalmusic Fan amongst us. Congratulations!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online