SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#158987 - 09/26/07 09:01 AM Re: UD - question
zuki Offline

So.......is the VP-550 in the G70?

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#158988 - 09/26/07 09:35 AM Re: UD - question
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
Quote:
Originally posted by zuki:
Just fine? Hopefully doesn't equate to "good enough". Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I really can't use that feature the way it sounds.

zuki

I agree that it is not the best but there are many performers here that have used the psr 3000 vocal harmonizer successfully for years.
Maybe one of the "pros" will tell you the settings they used and you can get an idea how to translate that to the 900.
Gary Diamond would be a good place to start.

Maybe Donny will tell you how he made it work for him for the couple of years he used it.

I believe it is a combination of the mic mixer settings and the setup on the vocal harmony and if I remember correctly you have to back off the mic when using the harmony.

Maybe I'm wrong I also at various times have used a digitech and a tc helicon voiceworks.

[This message has been edited by mikeathome1 (edited 09-26-2007).]

#158989 - 09/26/07 10:08 AM Re: UD - question
Dnj Offline

lets face it honestly .....the Yammy voc works just ok...it is no competition for TC Helicon or digitec or Roland.

Yes we made it worked just barley with certain edit tweaks and certain singing techniques also.....because the TRACKING is sub par at best.

Also if you want to fool yourself into thinking that Using a Vocalizer live is just a gimmick your are very wrong...ITS AN ART FORM ALL BY ITSELF as important to learn how to sing and use correctly otherwise DONT USE IT AT ALL.....it takes much practice how/when/where to use it in songs and what type of harmonies to use also providing you playing the right chords.

Forget providing settings there
IS NO MAGIC ANSWER you have to set it up FOR YOUR VOICE ONLY.......trial and error gets it done ....

I repeat Yamaha works....
but the QUALITY & TRACKING IS NOT.

#158990 - 09/26/07 11:01 AM Re: UD - question
mikeathome1 Offline

One more thing before I bought the voiceworks I sent away for the demo cd of course that was the clincher. a lot of great sounding stuff there.
It is capable of so much more than I ever used it for.
But the reason I liked it was it was a complete vocal channel with reverb, delay, compression,eq and more. It sounded great before you ever even added the harmony. And of course you could set up the presets and take your sound with you.

Donnie on the PA800 you know it the vocal channel uses the tc helicon effects also?

#158991 - 09/26/07 01:50 PM Re: UD - question
mikeathome1 Offline

Yamaha Tyros2 Vocalizer:
Smoke, Smoke That Cigarette
recorded by Dan (big741)

Great sounding demo.

#158992 - 09/26/07 02:20 PM Re: UD - question
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by mikeathome1:

Yamaha Tyros2 Vocalizer:
Smoke, Smoke That Cigarette
recorded by Dan (big741)

Great sounding demo.

Dan Rymut hails from Edmonton Alberta, Canada.

He posts some of his work at YPKO.

Ian

#158993 - 09/26/07 04:43 PM Re: UD - question
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Yo guys,

I attended a keyboard workshop a couple of years ago at Chuch Levin's Music in Washington put on by AJ and he had all the boards with the exception of the PA800 side by side and the vocal harmonizer on the G 70 blew everything else out of the room. The Yamahas didn't even come close.

Joe

------------------
Songman55
Joe Ayala

#158994 - 09/26/07 05:36 PM Re: UD - question
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Hey KIDS, let's knock it off ...
Back to the subject - I may be stupid (OK I AM stupid), but wouldn't it stand to reason that a stand alone voice processor/harmonizer that costs anywhere from $600 to $1300 SHOULD sound better than one found in an arranger kb?????
J M .02 W ..
t.

#158995 - 09/26/07 05:44 PM Re: UD - question
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
umm...... excuse me - wasn't a question raised here for me?

I'll try and answer as simply as I can.
There are a number of reasons why the Yamaha harmonisers fall short of my desires.
1) They only work while the arranger section is set to that hand position, and playing. When the drums stop - the singers leave the stage.
2) The start/stop is rough and cannot be turned on and off to simulate a real backup group blending in and out of the melody. Hit th efootswitch at the wrong time, and you get a hiccup in the vocals
3) The actual tone of the voices is lackluster IMO. Even my old Digitech VR sounded better with my voice than my Tyros did. ( yes, I had a Tyros, just couldn;t wait to dump it )
4) Using the harmonies while using seq play was too involved. Remember - I want to ALWAYS trigger the harmonies live from my right hand...I never want an auto chord channel to just send a signal to the processor.
5) On the PA800, I can trigger from the right, have the LH playing bass and follow the drummer in my good, old, trusted Manhatten Transfer style. No arranger chords getting in the way of the intricate harmonizations of the main instrument in my shows - my voice.

The Digitech VR is not teh newest technology, yet it still performs better than most of the competition. Even the cheaper TC units did not fit into my setup for one reson or another.

Now, stop your bickering please, and get on with your lives !

#158996 - 09/26/07 05:59 PM Re: UD - question
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
but wouldn't it stand to reason that a stand alone voice processor/harmonizer that costs anywhere from $600 to $1300 [b]SHOULD sound better than one found in an arranger kb?????[/B]

DITTO!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online