SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#158664 - 12/12/04 12:20 PM PSR3000 better than expected.
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Having previously owned the 9000Pro. I have part-ex for a new PSR3000 for a good price. The 3K has turned out to be far better than I was expecting. The main thing I miss from the 9Kpro is it's excellent keybed, but the apart from this the 3K is a joy to use and very inspiring to play.The 3K inbuilt Speaker system also does a remarkable job.
I purchased a USB Sandisk 256mb Pen drive which loads style & registrations very fast.

A cautionary note regarding USB Pen Drives for the 3k. If you buy one and it does work as expected, Format the Pen Drive in the PC...to FAT (NOT Fat 32) The 3K does not accept USB formatted to FAT32.
I also purchased a 4 X Splitter which helps to save wear of plugging the USB in and out at the back of the 3K, but found that the 3K will only accept 2 X USB devices at a time. This is not a problem as I mainly connect the Sandisk USB Pen 256mb plus the supplied USB Floppy Drive.

#158665 - 12/12/04 03:14 PM Re: PSR3000 better than expected.
R-F Offline

Loc: Berlin/ Germany
Hi,
do you use the 3000 together with the 9000pro? Because I think, with this combination, you will not miss any Tyros' feature (if you use MIDI and the 9000pro's Live! Drumsets).

------------------
Regards
RF

#158666 - 12/12/04 09:32 PM Re: PSR3000 better than expected.
Tapas Offline

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Graham,

Thanks for that heads-up on formatting to FAT16 to make the USB Pen Drives compatible to the PSR3000. Now why don’t they tell you of these gotchas in the Users Manual. I am glad you found the PSR3000 to exceed your expectations.

I was quite shocked too when I first auditioned this toy-like gadget. My first reaction was, hey these guys have repackaged a Tyros in a cheaper lighter plastic case. They should have named it Tyros Le.

The only criticism I had were the cheap wimpy Casio like keys. But then, this thing is so affordable that even Pro musicians who would otherwise pass on an arranger would buy this for its features and sound. Besides, these guys have better controllers to drive it anyway.

In a brilliant marketing move, Yamaha has forever changed the arranger marketplace with this PSR3000. It has so many features and such a wonderful collection of quality sounds that it will send all other manufactures back to their drawing board. It is the same situation back when Korg redefined the arranger market with their very first i3 or their all in one workstation M1.

I expect the PSR3000 killer to arrive in a couple of years but not in the form of a hardware arranger but perhaps a software arranger like OMB. Then all musicians would clamor for is an 88 key weighted controller in the likes of the one that went inside the CVP-309. What an incredible feel!

Tapas

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online