SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#15855 - 03/16/05 11:42 AM expierences with genesys xp
JohanKB Offline

Loc: Zevenbergen, holland
Hello, I am new to this forum. I am just a very moderate keyboard player. My gear is a Tyros and I just ordered a Genesys XP. Iused to have a Roland VA7 and afer a search for several months (G70, Korg PA1Xpro) I decided to order the XP. can't wait till I get it. Is there there someone who has the XP and uses the tyros as masterkeyboard.

#15856 - 03/16/05 05:45 PM Re: expierences with genesys xp
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello JohanKB,

Thank you for purchasing a Genesys XP. I work for Generalmusic USA but wanted to extend a welcome to you to the forum and to let you know that I would be happy to answer any operational questions you may have on the Genesys XP once you receive it.

There are many Tyros owners on the synthzone forums and I am sure you will get help as far as the MIDI connections, etc. on that instrument.

Best Regards,

Dave

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
Nat'l Product and Support Manager
Generalmusic USA
GEM Community Forums

#15857 - 03/16/05 08:09 PM Re: expierences with genesys xp
to the genesys Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by JohanKB:
Hello, I am new to this forum. I am just a very moderate keyboard player. My gear is a Tyros and I just ordered a Genesys XP. Iused to have a Roland VA7 and afer a search for several months (G70, Korg PA1Xpro) I decided to order the XP. can't wait till I get it. Is there there someone who has the XP and uses the tyros as masterkeyboard.

Hi JohanKB:
I wish you all the best with the Genesys xp.

I am a genesys pro owner and was considering getting the xp but since for all intent and purposes it is not available in the U.S for inspection, I hope you would not mind posting a review of the xp.

In particular, it would be interesting to hear how well does
it handle midi messages and how much adjustments you have to make before you can use it to play.

Also, is it much heavier than the Tyros? Do you think you will be able to travel on a bus or airplane with it easily?

All the best.

#15858 - 03/17/05 06:03 AM Re: expierences with genesys xp
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by to the genesys:
In particular, it would be interesting to hear how well does
it handle midi messages and how much adjustments you have to make before you can use it to play.

I hope you don't mind me jumping in here to answer part of your question.

Actually it is quite easy to connect the Genesys XP to a controller and get it up and running. There are various MIDI Sets to select from. A MIDI Set is a preset containing the appropriate MIDI parameter adjustments for any type of controller, I.e. keyboard with a single MIDI channel output, keyboard with split ability (2 MIDI channels), multi-channel keyboard controller, MIDI accordion, etc.

Really all you have to do is determine what the controller keyboard is capable of and select the most compatible MIDI Set and all parameters are adjusted automatically.

As for portability; this is not a pocket module. The dimensions are 15.7'' x 5.3'' x 13.8'' and it weights 17.6 lbs. It is about the size of most of the mutli-track hard drive recorders on the market. It can easily be carried in a gig bag.

Best Regards,

Dave

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
Generalmusic USA
GEM Community Forums

[This message has been edited by WDMcM (edited 03-17-2005).]

#15859 - 03/17/05 10:05 AM Re: expierences with genesys xp
JohanKB Offline

Hi everyone,
thanks for your response. As soon as I get the XP I will certainly review it. I spent already a few hours on the pro in a music store and compared it mainly with the roland G70 an the Korg Pa1xpro. (I took my own headphones). I will not speak less on the other brands, but I realy liked the genesys. I own a Tyros and thought this was for me the best there is, the genesys made me doubt this. So I have very high expectations (to High?) IŽll let you know.

#15860 - 03/17/05 11:53 AM Re: expierences with genesys xp
to the genesys Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by WDMcM:
[b]I hope you don't mind me jumping in here to answer part of your question.

Actually it is quite easy to connect the Genesys XP to a controller and get it up and running. There are various MIDI Sets to select from. A MIDI Set is a preset containing the appropriate MIDI parameter adjustments for any type of controller, I.e. keyboard with a single MIDI channel output, keyboard with split ability (2 MIDI channels), multi-channel keyboard controller, MIDI accordion, etc.

Really all you have to do is determine what the controller keyboard is capable of and select the most compatible MIDI Set and all parameters are adjusted automatically.

As for portability; this is not a pocket module. The dimensions are 15.7'' x 5.3'' x 13.8'' and it weights 17.6 lbs. It is about the size of most of the mutli-track hard drive recorders on the market. It can easily be carried in a gig bag.

Best Regards,

Dave

[/B]

Thanks Dave:
I had asked the question about the weight because I had heard that the XP is not much lighter nor smaller than the Genesys pro and if I were getting it for greater portability, it would not be a good buy.

JohanKB:
I am sure you would not be disappointed with the XP's sounds, styles and features.
I can not wait for your review on how practical the xp would work with other instruments.

#15861 - 03/19/05 08:36 AM Re: expierences with genesys xp
Giovanni Offline

Loc: Norwich Norfolk England
Hi to everyone ,
I follow the genesy's XP module threads with great interest.
I'm playing a Concerto DA200 digital/acoustic midi accordion connected via midi to a Technics KN7000 (it's great and all you could wish for in a arranger keyboard ) but it is too big and cumbersome to take out on gigs .
I keep being told that the XP module would be an ideal replacement .
The problem for me living in Norwich Norfolk England is this :- there is no real Gem dealer in my area that stock the product , they seem to have a digital piano and are only interested in a firm order to get one in the shop for me .
Which to me is not the way to do business .
I then asked for a leaflet and all I get shown is an out of date leaflet that does not even have the XP module.
This all happened to day in the store that claims to be a GEM dealer !!!!
ARE there any midi accordion players out that actually gig with this module .
If so , I would like your comments .

Many thanks

Regards .............Giovanni

#15862 - 03/26/05 12:07 PM Re: expierences with genesys xp
JohanKB Offline

Yesterday I finally got the XP.
To connect it to the Tyros was very easy.
But then it went wrong. I couldn't load styles, so I reinstalled the software. Still I got problems so at 2 at night I put it off. Today I went to the shop and it seemed that I received the wrong OS. They completely replaced the XP, I got a new one.
Compliments to Ernst from general music Benelux. As a coincedence they were demonstrating the XP. To make a long story short, I went home and started playing.
My first impression, what a sound! In the coming days I will post more findings. Greetings.

#15863 - 03/28/05 05:17 AM Re: expierences with genesys xp
JohanKB Offline

Since last saturday I spent many Hours with the XP. Here are my first findings:

Plus:
-great sounds
-easy to use
-it's sounds at least as good as my Tyros
-good styles
-good vocal genius

Minus:
-manual is very bad
-you can't pull up the display
-every intro is linked to one variation (f.e. if you use intro 3 then you get variation 3)

I have up till now two questions:
-Can you replace voices in the styles
-is there an equalizer for the output available

greetings

#15864 - 03/28/05 05:46 AM Re: expierences with genesys xp
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by JohanKB:
-every intro is linked to one variation (f.e. if you use intro 3 then you get variation 3)

I have up till now two questions:
-Can you replace voices in the styles
-is there an equalizer for the output available

You can choose any Intro and while that is playing select a different Variation. I know this is not exactly what you want but it does work.

Yes, you can replace voices in styles. Also, any editing you do to a voice (or Part) i.e. transpose, effects routings, velocity curves, filter/ENV/LFO adjustments, pedal/wheel assignments, etc. can be saved as well. These changes are stored in Style Presets. Each of the 256 factory Styles has 8 Style Presets and the 64 User Styles also have 8 Style Presets each. Style Preset #1 (upper left in the display) is automatically selected when you choose a particular Style so if you want the changes to be in effect from the start, store your changes in the first Style Preset location.

Press the Mixer button and choose '3D Effect' by pressing soft button F5. You will find the 3D Spatial Enhancer as well as a Bass Boost parameter. The Effect section also provides an adjustable EQ that one or more Parts can be routed through.

I am glad to hear you are enjoying your Genesys XP!

Best Regards,

Dave

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
Generalmusic USA
GEM Community Forums

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online