SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#158610 - 08/29/03 01:50 PM My first 10 minutes with the Tyros compared to my SD-1
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
I'm sure everyone has their view on this, but I figured I would give my first impressions of the Tyros compared to my SD-1.

Layout and overall design is on a great, typical yamaha design with alot of buttons and a great sense of where things should be on a performance keyboard. Example, I find myself really concentrating hard when I need to hit stop or break on my SD-1 because I don't want to hit the wrong button. Very easy on the Tyros.

Single sounds:
Seems to me the SD-1 has an overall edge in this department, don;t get me wrong, the Tyros sounds are great, but I feel in a band/group situation the SD-1 sounds like brass, strings, piano, accordion, will place well in a band situation. seems like alot more warmth and a little too much effects but it works.

Styles: I love the SD-1 styles but they seems to me to be of a dirty feel, and the Tyros seem very clean, well produced. Alot of the Tyros styles I don;t really care for compared to SD1 but the fills, breaks seem to flow better on the Tyros.

So my conclusion is if they could morph these 2 keyboards, it would be on hell of a board. So if you can't decide, don't worry, whatever you picked was a great choice...,

P.S.

What was Yamaha thinking when they decided on using a 1/4" jack for the microphone input. I guess I got to go to Radio smack to get a microphone

So one of these guys will have to leave to make room for the PAxpro

[This message has been edited by frankieve (edited 08-29-2003).]

#158611 - 08/29/03 02:55 PM Re: My first 10 minutes with the Tyros compared to my SD-1
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Frankie, you can just get a mic cord with the proper connectors on each end.
Still I wish Yamaha would put in an XLR input.
DonM

#158612 - 08/29/03 05:56 PM Re: My first 10 minutes with the Tyros compared to my SD-1
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Quote:
Originally posted by frankieve:
I'm sure everyone has their view on this, but I figured I would give my first impressions of the Tyros compared to my SD-1.

Layout and overall design is on a great, typical yamaha design with alot of buttons and a great sense of where things should be on a performance keyboard. Example, I find myself really concentrating hard when I need to hit stop or break on my SD-1 because I don't want to hit the wrong button. Very easy on the Tyros.

Single sounds:
Seems to me the SD-1 has an overall edge in this department, don;t get me wrong, the Tyros sounds are great, but I feel in a band/group situation the SD-1 sounds like brass, strings, piano, accordion, will place well in a band situation. seems like alot more warmth and a little too much effects but it works.

Styles: I love the SD-1 styles but they seems to me to be of a dirty feel, and the Tyros seem very clean, well produced. Alot of the Tyros styles I don;t really care for compared to SD1 but the fills, breaks seem to flow better on the Tyros.

So my conclusion is if they could morph these 2 keyboards, it would be on hell of a board. So if you can't decide, don't worry, whatever you picked was a great choice...,

P.S.

What was Yamaha thinking when they decided on using a 1/4" jack for the microphone input. I guess I got to go to Radio smack to get a microphone

So one of these guys will have to leave to make room for the PAxpro

[This message has been edited by frankieve (edited 08-29-2003).]

Frank ,

I would get into using the multipads while using the styles . Use different pads such as acid ,synthloops ,house loops with a the styles . That is one thing I really like about the Tyro's . MULTI PADS !

Try matching the tempo's of the 2 keyboards together and start off with a multipad , very interesting combo . Nice compliment .

Oh...dig through the organ sounds . I think they have an edge . Slight one .
You gotta love the Rock Guitars on the Tyro's as well .

#158613 - 08/29/03 07:30 PM Re: My first 10 minutes with the Tyros compared to my SD-1
trtjazz Offline

Frank,
You don't have to buy a new cord or mic they make an XLR to 1/4' matched adapter.
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

#158614 - 08/29/03 07:59 PM Re: My first 10 minutes with the Tyros compared to my SD-1
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Frank...
I don't know for sure about the Tyros, but on the PSR2000 a stereo jack into the mic input will not work...it must be mono. That may also hold true with an adapter. I would also like to cast a vote for XLR mic inputs on all arrangers.
Eddie

#158615 - 08/29/03 08:13 PM Re: My first 10 minutes with the Tyros compared to my SD-1
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
Eddie, a TRS "Stereo" Mic plug WILL work on a PSR 2000! I have one and it works Greaaattttt!! I think yours was defective from the factory Eddie. PS: The PSR 2000's Mic In jack is 'Mono' as we found out from Steve Deming of Yamaha. So all's a person would need is a 'Mono' plug. But let me reiterate: If anybody already has a 1/4" TRS plug or if they're thinking about getting one to use with their PSR 2000 Keyboard believe me they will work. At least with a Condenser Mic they will. If your Mic is Dynamic then that may be another story. And a TRS plug could come in handy if you wanted to use it for some other Stereo capbable device, eg., Mixer, etc.

Best regards,
Mike

#158616 - 08/30/03 09:11 AM Re: My first 10 minutes with the Tyros compared to my SD-1
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Go to Radio Shack, look on the wall where they have all the audio adapter plugs and you'll find a 1/4-inch to SLR adapter plug that sells for $12.99. It has a built-in matching transformer and they work just fine. (So do their inexpensive, dynamic, condenser mics.)

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#158617 - 08/30/03 09:48 AM Re: My first 10 minutes with the Tyros compared to my SD-1
frankieve Offline

So its no problem to just use a xlr to quarter inch jack for my mic input, isn't there an issue with the ohms, that's why an adapter is needed?

#158618 - 08/31/03 07:27 AM Re: My first 10 minutes with the Tyros compared to my SD-1
frankieve Offline

I also ordered a hard drive from Vince the hard drive guy, seems like a great offer.

I'll fill you in later if you guys don't already know about him

#158619 - 08/31/03 04:43 PM Re: My first 10 minutes with the Tyros compared to my SD-1
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
You don't nede a transformer, because the Yamaha has a switch to change to "line" level.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online