SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#158033 - 10/11/04 05:36 PM Keyboardist with a band -HELP
Grubba99 Offline

I've been playing piano/ keyboard for a while now, and in all self-honesty, I'm belive im pretty good. I've done gigs by myself, as well as gigs with a drummer, but thats about it. Now I keep getting offers from people to join their bands.

"we neeeeed a keyboardist!"

I always kindly say that I'm not interested. But heres the real deal; I have no idea how to play with a band. I can't just get up there and play the same way I would play if I was playing by myself right?

Then what?!

Please can anyone offer their advice???
thanx

*When I refer to a band, I am talking about
-drummer
-guitarist
-bassist
-mayybe a second guitarist
-and keyboard (me?)

#158034 - 10/11/04 05:46 PM Re: Keyboardist with a band -HELP
Luis.Santos Offline

Loc: Portugal
First listen to them (if they play originals), then start to imagine your parts in the song! The same with covers!

Simple!

Luis Santos

#158035 - 10/11/04 05:51 PM Re: Keyboardist with a band -HELP
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Gee, if I could go back to a real drummer, bassist, guitarist and me I'd be in heaven. What I could do differently IS - simplify my chords and spread them out over the keyboard. I wouldn't have to play everything, but enough to be heard through the guitar and bass. I'd be able to make better on-the-fly registration changes. My piano and organ licks would actually get better. Try it, you might like it.

#158036 - 10/11/04 08:32 PM Re: Keyboardist with a band -HELP
MrEd Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Grubba99:
... I have no idea how to play with a band. I can't just get up there and play the same way I would play if I was playing by myself right?

Thats a good point that I can relate to.

For a good number of years, I played as part of a 5-piece weekend, wedding/dance group. The group consisted of long-time close friends, school chums I grew up with. It was fun being a 'musician' in a band.

Eventually, due to the members starting families, starting careers, etc, we discontinued being 'musicians'. I sold my stuff and never missed it, not once, for 16 years.

Then, on a whim, I get a Casio (1600 i think it was) for my own personal enjoyment at home. I began being more creative and became more pleased with my sound and my style which in turn, brought me more enthusiasm for playing. I upgraded to a WK3500 and self-satisfaction increased even more.

Looking back, I now clearly see that I just enjoyed being a so-called 'musician' and I never really got the enjoyment of playing music as I now do today.

I would give serious thought as to what I really wanted out of my music; fame, fortune, greater playing enjoyment, ALL OF THE ABOVE and determine if being on my own or being a part of a group would accomplish that goal.

I think the ultimate situation would be to have the time to continue developing your self, your own sound, your own creativity, while finding other players whose musical thoughts and ideas would blend well with your own. You can see some of the members here at SZ have had success and enjoyment doing that.

Best Wishes.
Ed

#158037 - 10/11/04 09:55 PM Re: Keyboardist with a band -HELP
shboom Offline

Loc: Victoria, British Columbia
Grubba99:
I'm a keyboardist / guitarist in 2 bands. We play covers, let's face it, originals just aren't that big a draw unless you're a known artist, or it's a coffee house where the owner's name is "Starshine".
In the band(s) we basically take the songs apart, and each of us is responsible for learning the parts note4note. That way we're learning what's important as far as our own instrument goes, then we come together to see how it all gels...or doesn't gel as the case may be. As an example, we do a rendition of "Wild Nights"..Van Morrison. I've got over $3000 in keys sitting in front of me, yet my part is in fact very minimal,(because the slap bass and percussion carry this song)...but who cares....quite often, less is more, and in the case of this example...we knock the audience out with well worked out vocal harmonies.

Maybe I'm not saying this right. It sounds like you may be (and please don't take this the wrong way) lacking a little self confidence. Obviously these players can see something in you that you can't, so give it a shot...hell, the worst they can say is no. But If you've been approached, then give it a shot, otherwise, you'll always be wondering...."what if"??
As part of a band understand that you are no longer the show. That your part of something great that works together to make great music, and it's everybody doing their part that makes it sound great. Try it...have fun. I'm 53, playing on average every second weekend (Fri. & Sat.) and I'm having a ball. It's my "out"..it's my release, my passion, my leave work at work and go out and enjoy myself. Everyone's gotta have something in their lives that gives them that high. For me...it's playing in a band with great people.
Good Luck in whatever you do...
------------------
...L

[This message has been edited by shboom (edited 10-11-2004).]

#158038 - 10/12/04 04:02 AM Re: Keyboardist with a band -HELP
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I just joined a "2nd time around band" which plays for dances at our culteral center.I was a bit reluctant since I play a KN7000 and the rest are saxes,horns,drums,and bass. Also,I was afraid that there might be some resentment toward an arranger keyboard.

I decided to let her rip only when they have special solo's,which the people love. The rest of the time I fill in with organ,vibes,accordian, or whatever is needed.

The band has come over and congratulated me and I think the reason why is because I bolstered the entire sound,and don't step on any toes and respect the old players. If I had come accross as a hotshot,it would have been different I'm sure.

I do my solo gigs,but, it is great fun,and much easier turning the reins over for a change.

I would say go for it.

Bernie

#158039 - 10/12/04 04:39 AM Re: Keyboardist with a band -HELP
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Wow this is a great topic.

I play in a band, but don't play solo. With so many people problems with bands, I'm contemplating going solo or duo with a female singer.

In the Band situation, you just don't want to overplay. As a solo, you are responsible for filling in the quiet with music. In the band, your job is to complement the other instruments and vocals.

Nice Chord voicings, tasty little licks, do-dabs, and tinkles will go a long way in the band situation. When it's time to solo, let it rip.

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#158040 - 10/12/04 07:40 PM Re: Keyboardist with a band -HELP
Grubba99 Offline

Thanx all for the input but perhaps i wasn't projecting my question clearly.

Bottom line; Theres a bassist covering the bass, theres a guitarist for chords and theres a guitarist for lead (mainly melody, or whatever) and obviously the drummer does the percussion.

WHERE DOES THAT LEAVE ME?
WHAT IS MY JOB IN THE BAND?

#158041 - 10/12/04 08:43 PM Re: Keyboardist with a band -HELP
lukitoh Offline

Loc: Hayward, CA, USA
There are a lot of other voices you can use such as strings, sax, brass, pianos, organs. Your guitarists cannot do those voices.

Your band should play songs that takes advantage of those voices. If they just play songs that only needs guitars and drums then you are obviously not needed. There are many many songs that utilizes other voices than guitars. And in a song, a keyboardist may only play some portions and sometimes more or less but it certainly brings a lot to the songs. Also, you can take turns with the lead fills. Some with guitar, some with sax, some with organ, etc, etc.

#158042 - 10/12/04 10:16 PM Re: Keyboardist with a band -HELP
shboom Offline

Loc: Victoria, British Columbia
Quote:
Originally posted by Grubba99:

WHERE DOES THAT LEAVE ME?
WHAT IS MY JOB IN THE BAND?

Your job is ALL that other stuff that no one else can do. All the subtle fills, the string or brass pieces, the big B3 solo, the tight perc organ, the light chimes that make the couple sitting four tables away go "Wow...that's nice".
YOU..my friend.....do all the Magic!!
------------------
...L

[This message has been edited by shboom (edited 10-13-2004).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online