SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#157692 - 12/23/04 07:27 AM tyros versus cvp
clumzy2 Offline

Loc: Springfield, IL
I own a DGX 505. Don't like it because of missing Music Finder, the DGX 500 had it (MDB). Considering the PSR 3000 or Tyros, but not in favor of 61 keys. Maybe a CVP is my answer. Is the electronics in a CVP 305 similar to the 3000 or Tyros. It will used in the Living room only.

#157693 - 12/23/04 08:25 AM Re: tyros versus cvp
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Clumzy: Though I own a Yamaha Tyros, I have on several occasions played a CVP305 :
http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CD A/Co...PRODUCT,00.html

Yes, the electronics & sound/arranger features in a CVP305 are nearly identical to that of the Tyros. As a longtime Tyros owner, I was able to easily naviagate and play the CVP305 right away. The TERRIFIC thing I appreciated about the CVP are it's 88 'full sized' & 'fully weighted' piano action keys, and solidly attached traditional piano pedals(3). The great thing is that (like with the Tyros), these can be assigned to other functions other than sustain, sostenuto, and soft. Coming from a traditional piano playing background, it was a sheer joy to play traditional piano & solo on the CVP305. You can utilize piano playing techniques not possible playing on a synth action kb. On the other hand it felt weird playing other instrument voices (horns, strings, etc) with fully weighted piano action keys. I suppose I would eventually get used to it, but for sounds other than piano, lighter 'synth action' keys feel more appropriate (responsive).

If I didn't need to transport my arranger around for gigging, and could AFFORD to pay the CVP's steep price, I myself might have purchased one the Yamaha CVP Digital Pianos over a portable arranger. I've seriously thought of purchasing a CVP and then reserving the Tyros for gig use only, but my Steinway 7 ft grand ALREADY takes up a good part of the room.

Scott

#157694 - 12/23/04 10:03 AM Re: tyros versus cvp
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
clumzy2. May I correct Scott's comments. The new CVP 305. 307 & 309 are based on the operating system of the PSR3000 not the Tyros.

#157695 - 12/23/04 10:46 AM Re: tyros versus cvp
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Well at least I said 'nearly' identical. I thought the Tyros & PSR3000 have basically the same OS, with the PSR3000 just having the added removeable memory Card instead of HD, & the Tyros having MORE sounds & additional features (3 foot pedals, larger screen color LCD, etc . I had only quoted what my local Yamaha dealer told me: that the the CVP300 series keyboards were based on the Tyros. Perhaps he was mistaken.

Scott

#157696 - 12/23/04 10:58 AM Re: tyros versus cvp
oleg7 Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
I played CVP309 and it sounds no better than a PSR3000 or Tyros. I believe that CVP keyboards are missing the 4 pad buttons that trigger sounds or sequences, why exclude them ? CVP line is beautiful and fun for the whole family but strictly for home use and overpriced (comparing to it's portable counterparts). Plus, based on the price, you will never be satisfied with the actual piano sound compared with the real thing. I think that there are 3 ways to approach this based on the budget and needs.

1. Most economical solution. Yamaha P-250 digital piano and PSR3000 on top will give you the same capabilities that CVP line (plus pitch bend / mod wheels) for about $3500. Minus beautiful look of course. You will be able to take PSR3000 out as well.

2. All in one solution. Not portable. Beautiful for the home. Not a real grand piano sound. No pitch bend or mod wheel. CVP307 or CVP309. I think they start at $6000 and up.

3. No compromise solution. Yamaha upright or baby grand MIDI pianos. These are real instuments with real piano strings plus MIDI out plus ability to silence the strings. That plus PSR3000 or Tyros next to it (or on top of the baby grand) will give you the best of both worlds. I think that Yamaha MIDI upright goes for about $7500 + $1500 PSR3000 but this combo will be money best spend in my opinion baased on the piano sound and feel alone. Plus the portability of the PSR3000.

Hope this helps.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online