SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#157463 - 01/13/05 07:30 AM Tyros and creepy Ebayers
kingjoeyjr2 Offline

Loc: Everett, MA USA
What is it about this keyboard? I have been using ebay since it's inception and I never got so many odd requests as I have since I listed this keyboard. Here's a sample:
-One guy 'represents' a client in South Africa who wants it and wants to send me a cashiers check, then ship the keyboard to him & he will ship to his client (obviously a scam), when I declined this offer he keeps trying to explain that this is indeed a good deal for me. Yeah, ok.
-Another wants to set his own 'buy it now' price (lower than mine of course) because he's a 'paymaster' and can pay right away. Um buddy, anyone who uses 'buy it now' pays right away.
-Another wanted me to send him copies of the Tyros software disk because he lost his
-Yet another wanted to know if I'd donate it to his church.

This is all in the last two days.
-J

#157464 - 01/13/05 08:44 AM Re: Tyros and creepy Ebayers
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
I posted an item on a regional classified ads listing service. The first two inquiries were real. The last six are frauds. They all have poor grammar, some are obviously from foriegn domains. They all want to know "what is your latest / lowest price" or they say email a pic. I really don't know what they are accomplishing but the listing site has a 'scam alert' about this posted for the past six months.

#157465 - 01/13/05 09:17 AM Re: Tyros and creepy Ebayers
pasadoble Offline

Loc: Portsmouth, England.UK
Ebay is a scammers heaven lately as it seems to be very uncontrolled, on Ebay UK there are on average roughly 5 or 6 keyboard scams running regularly, as much as I report them there back again..

Here's one 2 for sure...
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38089&item=3775495110&rd=1
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38089&item=3775224824&rd=1

They look like their copied for Ebay USA
so I'll make sure I report them.

Be very carefull with Ebay, I find you can usually spot a genuine buyer quite easily, always check feedback though, someone selling a high value keyboard without prior feedback in the UK is usally scamming if there is no pick-up option, its a huge problem and nothing seems to being done about it.

[This message has been edited by pasadoble (edited 01-13-2005).]

#157466 - 01/13/05 10:50 AM Re: Tyros and creepy Ebayers
Tony Rome Offline

Loc: Cozumel Mexico
When I spot a scam on E-Bay generally in the Yamaha Tyros or Psr 3000 listings, I will keep bidding to keep others from bidding and losing thier money...when the auction is over I never get a notice from the seller or scamer...just from E-Bay....so I never pay...
you can spot a scamer when the only take MO
or wire transfers and have no feed back or
e-bay history....a few times after very high bids, e-bay will cancel the sale...
there haven't been that much lately......

#157467 - 01/20/05 08:24 AM Re: Tyros and creepy Ebayers
KFingers Offline

Loc: Brighton - UK
A word of caution - Even when people have plentiful positive feedback you need to look into it as it is possible to "buy" feedback with your "How to get positive feedback" ebook purchases on ebay.

That said - I bought a used Tyros on EBAY (UK) for the same price as a new 3000 - You just have to be very careful and make all the checks - I contacted the seller personally.

KF

#157468 - 01/20/05 02:24 PM Re: Tyros and creepy Ebayers
jeremy_norbury Offline

Loc: Amsterdam,,The Netherlands
I'm a big believer in the eBay model but I recently had a nasty little eBay experience. I spotted a nice cheap video card for my PC. Seller had 97.7% positive feedback with 252 responses.

Can't go wrong, right? So I buy-it-now.

4 hours later I got an email from eBay saying "Oh, we think the sellers id has been compromised - take all the steps you can to recover your money"! Doh!

A few hours later I get an email from the seller saying - "where would I like it delivered?". And the another saying "eBay screwed up". Two more days go by and I get eBay saying "we screwed up."

Anyway to make a short story long and tedious, the seller appears to have been who he said he was and eBay had "overreacted" to a situation which caused me a sleepless night and I had cancelled the PayPal payment, made chargeback to credit cards etc etc etc ...

So eBay DO act upon suspicious sellers - but it can be unnerving when it happens AFTER you've bought the damn item.

My advice is to use PayPal to pay and look for the PayPal Buyer Protection http://pages.ebay.com/paypal/buyer/protection.html

Jerry
Amsterdam

#157469 - 01/20/05 04:21 PM Re: Tyros and creepy Ebayers
Tony W Offline

Loc: Lancaster UK
Yesterday when I tried to log into my ebay account I was informed that my account had been suspended.

I checked my mail and indeed Ebay informed me that they considered that my account may have been compromised. I emailed them straight away and well within the 72hr time limit they set themselves my account is back up and running and all passwords changed.

I have no idea how someone got hold of my ebay details but it seems that whoever did decided to list a Chevvy Corvette 20 times on ebay (USA). I would have thought that this in itself set the alarm bells ringing, the fact that my account is registered in the UK can only have clanged them louder! At least my account got hijacked by stupid scammers or it may have been quite serious.

Ebay immediately credited my account with the listing fees for all 20 listings so apart from having no access to my ebay account for twenty four hours I am no worse off.

In future I shall be changing my account password every month or so just to be on the safe side.
Best wishes
Tony

#157470 - 01/20/05 09:50 PM Re: Tyros and creepy Ebayers
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I bed on a Ketron Vega last week. I bid $1050. The bid went on up to around $1350 or so, so I lost interest.
Tonight I got an email saying the winning bidder didn't pay, and I was getting a chance to buy it at my bid of $1050. This smells to high heaven to me. It even included a hard case.
Since I've purchased an SD1, I no longer am really interested in the Vega, but at that price it would be easy to resell and make money.
I'm going to check it out, just out of curiosity.
DonM

#157471 - 01/21/05 12:59 PM Re: Tyros and creepy Ebayers
jeremy_norbury Offline

Loc: Amsterdam,,The Netherlands
DonM

It's a known scam mechanism. I think you are talking about this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29552&item=3775884468&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

As you can see there were 12 bids higher than yours - and the reserve was never reached. There can be no legitimate reason why you specifically should be re-offered this keyboard.... http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=3775884468

Forward the email to spoof@ebay.com and they will investigate it for you.

Remember - some things CAN be just to good to be true.

Jerry

#157472 - 01/21/05 02:18 PM Re: Tyros and creepy Ebayers
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
I bed on a Ketron Vega last week. I bid $1050. The bid went on up to around $1350 or so, so I lost interest.
Tonight I got an email saying the winning bidder didn't pay, and I was getting a chance to buy it at my bid of $1050. This smells to high heaven to me. It even included a hard case.
Since I've purchased an SD1, I no longer am really interested in the Vega, but at that price it would be easy to resell and make money.
I'm going to check it out, just out of curiosity.
DonM

I got an email yesterday addressed to DonM asking if he wanted to purchase, I think it was, a Ketron for 1650. I don't know how I got it. My name or email address wasn't on it anywhere. So I hope you didn't get infected with one of those virus that sends mail to everyone in your address book. We (DonM) and I exchanged emails before when he took the time to answer a question for me and I think sent me a file.
Fortunatly I think I'm safe because I use hotmail it went to my junk mail folder and I never downloaded it.
Don I hope you computer is safe too.

[This message has been edited by mikeathome1 (edited 01-21-2005).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online