SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#157413 - 04/12/07 09:54 PM help with new choices please
born2die Offline

Loc: england
I have decided to go down the new route but with a limited budget and it is getting confusing so I am now asking for help and advice from the guru's here.

i am looking for a board that has decent piano samples some arps and a sequencer that can at least loop. I am crossing over from arranger style playing to more piano based but I would like to keep some of the functions from the arranger idea. I would like some form of chord recognition accross the whole board IE it makes the chords out of what notes I am playing. some drum tracks and if poss some backings for the rythm.

I also need this to act as a sound source for my fatar controller so key action is'nt top of the list but I have read somwhere that the MM6 struggles in this area does someone on here know about this.

If there are any glareing choices that I have overlooked please let me know. The budget is £400uk I know I could look at ebay etc for a used motif, x50 But I am unsure about ebay as I bought an arranger off there six months ago and it has just gone bang so I am dubious about used gear as this will have to last me for a good few years.

Choices

Yamaha MM6

Good looking keyboard some good functions but it does seem limited IE. no support for slashed chords, No ability to store user patterns, only a few of the motif sounds, But I do like the idea of bieng able to play the whole board piano style and it fills in rythem and bass parts in it also seems to have a good if limited appregiator

Or do I leave my comfort zone go without pre set backings learn to use cubase and buy a korg X50 which is just in budget. I know that it doe'snt include a sequencer but on the yammy mm6 this is just a sketchpad anyway.

Again I know knothing about it really

many thanks in advance

Tristian

#157414 - 04/13/07 05:38 AM Re: help with new choices please
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
The MM6 might work for you. The unit has Motif based sounds, some real-time control, decent screen, it is an arranger as well. More of a modern DJX really.

The internal recorder on the MM6 is an 8 track linear sequencer with no post song editing. It's more of a scratch pad... However, the MM6 ships with sequencing software, which will give you all the loop recording, and other functions of a sequencer that the MM6's internal recorder does not have. Plus you can get the instrument definition for the MM6 at the Motif forum for free, which opens up the entire sound set rather than being limited to the GM voices.

Also the Korg X50 isn't an arranger either. It is however MUCH more advanced in terms of synth abilities than the MM6. The MM6 is more of an out of the box "instant groove" type keyboard.

I'm sure the next suggestions you get here will be the either the PSR-3000 or PSR-1500, however they might be out of your price range, and you may be paying for features you won't really use either.

Squeak

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 04-13-2007).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online