SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#157110 - 05/02/05 06:37 PM please help a new guy
Ondo Offline

Loc: Spokane Wa USA
hello. This is my first post to the synth zone. so please be patiant with me (spelling grammer whatnot)

i have spent the last 9 months saving for a powerful synth....i am very new to the keyboard game (both playing and models) but i would like to think i got the basics down.

i am a little bit biased towards the yamha tyros..but a few pals of mine are suggesting the psr-3000 becuase of ease of use and the "low" cost of a first keybaord (sorry for the quotes..money is fairly tight for me. thank god my father agreed to pay for part of my keybaord and my uncle to pay for another part) i almost have enough for the tyros... but the 3000 seems cool too

i have had a tiny bit of experiance with the roland VA-76 and LOVED the guitar sounds on it. i am told its not made anymore

basicly..all you wize men..i am asking for what would be a good synth and i would like suggestions on where to get a tyros/psr-3000/whatever the hell you guys suggesst

thanks for having the patiance for a new guy

Ondo

PS remember i am up to all crizitizems and sorry agian for the spelling/grammer

------------------
If any of you guys wanna reach me... try CHIBIBRAVECOMBO on AIM and i will try to help you as best as i can

#157111 - 05/02/05 07:01 PM Re: please help a new guy
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Many more people on here know a lot more than me but I assure they are going to ask what do you want to do with it. How do you plan to use it? Hey, I wish I had either one!

You are in USA, so, I am aware of Dan01 and George Kaye, dealers on here.

You have limited funds... and IF you plan on playing out in the not too distant future, you could buy a 3000 and have money left over for many goodies, including a small PA.

BTW, a 3000 has onboard speakers, so, that's a plus.

#157112 - 05/02/05 07:49 PM Re: please help a new guy
Tony Rome Offline

Loc: Cozumel Mexico
Hello and welcome to the Synth Zone....you will find a great bunch of guys and gals here to help you with just about everything
that you need to know.....I started with the 2100 and quickly went to the 3000 and am prsently waiting for my Tyros that will be here on the 7th, Sat. I am quite pleased with the 3000, but as SemiLiveMusic stated, it
would depend on your use....ask all the questions here you want...I like you, don't know that much yet but I'm planning to change all that...also stated before, was George and Dan music stores...George is in Cal..his e-mail.. gkayesmusicscene@aol.com
unfortuneitly I don't have Dan's e-mail...
maybe some one can post it for you...they are both members that want to help....good luck.....
Tony Rome

[This message has been edited by Tony Rome (edited 05-02-2005).]

#157113 - 05/02/05 08:32 PM Re: please help a new guy
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
First and foremost, the 3000 is an incredible keyboard that will do more than anyone can imagine. The tyros has a few more features, but as stated does not come through with speakers. There are so many options with both boards that the best suggestion I have is to download the manuals on each from the Yamaha website, look over the specifications, then go to a dealer and base your decission on what you hear coming out of the keyboards while listening to each with quality headphones.

Good luck on your decission, and as many folks here will tell you, you cannot go wrong with either board.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#157114 - 05/02/05 09:16 PM Re: please help a new guy
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Welcome!
You can use the search feature on this forum. Differences between the Tyros and 3000 have been discussed many times. You'll find opinions both ways.
DonM

#157115 - 05/02/05 10:17 PM Re: please help a new guy
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Ondo (Mark): Here are some specific SZ thread links which you might find useful to read. I'm personally partial to the Tyros, but you need to weigh your decision on your own personal feature needs, budget, & other requirements:

Tyros v 3000

Real Difference between 3000 and Tyros

Did I make the right choice (PSR3000)

Scott

#157116 - 05/03/05 10:26 PM Re: please help a new guy
mcmc Offline

Loc: Daly City,CA. USA
Hi Ondo! Just like you, I'm also new here at SZ. Actually, this is my first time to post a reply. I have been visiting this forum since 2002. I really enjoy the information I read from the members. You'll also get some laughs to funny comments around here. I love it!
Anyway to answer you question, Tyros is w/out a doubt a better KB of the two, in every angle. But if your budget only allows for a PSR3000, go for it! This KB sounds great! Just read the comments of the members that own a PSR3000, that might help.
Blessings!
mcmc

#157117 - 05/04/05 07:26 AM Re: please help a new guy
flatfoot Offline

Loc: sacramento CA
Hi Ondo!

I have tried both the 3000 and the tyros. Both are wonderful instruments. In the end I relized that both were far too complex for my needs. I bought the much simpler DGX 3000. This board does all the things I need, and it sounds great with Logitech speakers added. In fact, even this modest keyboard has a vast array of festures beyond what I will ever use.

Also the DGX305 has 76 keys. This was very important to me.

My philosophy is that I would rather split my budget so that I will be able to get other things I need, like speakers, software, etc. I would rather take this approach instead of sinking all my money into one single powerful unit.

Douglas Wolfe.

#157118 - 05/04/05 08:05 AM Re: please help a new guy
loungelyzard Offline

Loc: North Eastern Calif.
Ondo:

Big welcome aboard. The tyros will probably be replaced with the tyros 2 in a few months, and its possible that everyone will be switching. Buying a keyboard is 100% based on what you intend to do with it, but if you're just getting started, and not sure of your future, you have the growing/learning thing to contend with. I don't know what you're about but trying to read between the lines, I'll attempt a suggestion, go for the 3000 and get a Logitech z5500 sound system, should be around $1850.00 This will take you to professional level no problems, and give you a chance to learn about all the new stuff that's coming in the near future.

Say to Dad and your uncle, that you want to keep the cost as low as possible since they're being so generious, so have picked the less expensive system. And when you blow them away with the sound, they may be very impressed with you, and willing to help in the future, If you don't become rich and famous overnight! LOL OR (lots of Luck). Anyway you go if it's Yamaha, you'll enjoy it I'm sure, If you're like most of us, we seem to dream, (THERE'S ALWAYS ANOTHER THAT MIGHT BE BETTER, I WISHED I'D GOT THAT ONE)

Cheers..Pose

#157119 - 05/04/05 10:43 AM Re: please help a new guy
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Estimated arrival date for Tyros 2 in Europe: October 2005.

#157120 - 05/04/05 11:35 AM Re: please help a new guy
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer:

Hi Andrea (Dreamer). I remember Tyros1 had 1st arrived in Europe around that time (month) 3 years in Oct 2005, finally hitting the shores of California (USA) in late November 2002, with mine among that first US batch, so curious if your prediction is based on some new knowledge of inside information you've gained recently. - Scott

#157121 - 05/04/05 04:57 PM Re: please help a new guy
Beakybird Offline

You should probably be happy with the PSR3000. Dano's website is keyboardcity.net.

Beakybird

#157122 - 05/04/05 08:00 PM Re: please help a new guy
Ondo Offline

Loc: Spokane Wa USA
hope this is not too late for ya all to read.

the music i plan to emulate is john linnell/they might be giants type sounds/songs.

for those unfamililar with the aforemantioned gentleman they specialive in analog keyboards and accordion riffs.

i also want to use it for some 1980s vigntage sounding stuff

btw i apprciate all the help. (i am still leaning towaards the tyros one) yeah i bet the tyros2 will be better, but i really cant wait that long ya know? and will it really be THAT much better than the tyros? guess we all will have to find out...

any more questions and comments will stil help me a great deal

Ondo

#157123 - 05/04/05 09:19 PM Re: please help a new guy
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Ondo:
the music i plan to emulate is john linnell/they might be giants type sounds/songs:

John Linnell State Song's Album

SoundClip: Maine

Scott

#157124 - 05/04/05 09:40 PM Re: please help a new guy
lukitoh Offline

Loc: Hayward, CA, USA
I want to give you real good advice if you are in doubt which keyboard is best for you. One word "GUITAR CENTER", large national chain that allows 30 days money back. They should have all those keyboards you mentioned and they will do price match also.

You will not know whether a keyboard is right for you until you actually try one for a week or two. There's just too many things that can displease you. I changed 5 times before settling my final choice and then finally someone offered me a used one for much cheaper and returned the keyboard to GC. I felt bad for GC after trying out their KB but if it were not for the 30 days policy, I would have ended up less happy.

For example: what if I can't split the keyboard ? what if the piano sounds bad ? what if the registration does not work the way I like it ? etc, etc,etc,

#157125 - 05/05/05 03:34 PM Re: please help a new guy
YamahaAndy Offline

Get a Tyros or a mistake!

#157126 - 05/05/05 03:36 PM Re: please help a new guy
YamahaAndy Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer:

Great information, thanks!

#157127 - 05/06/05 08:28 AM Re: please help a new guy
silva Offline

Loc: Lisbon, Portugal
Quote:
Originally posted by YamahaAndy:
Get a Tyros or a mistake!

Which of them. 1 ou 2

#157128 - 05/06/05 01:47 PM Re: please help a new guy
TresorTX Offline

Loc: Dallas, Boston, Orlando
Hi Ondo,

I was faced with the same decision PSR3000 or Tyros. I chose the PSR3000 even though money was not an issue. For me the extra dollars were definitely not worth it. I believe that Yamaha will come out not only with future generations of the Tyros but even a new PRO version to comptete with the G70. Heck I am still wondering if the G70 will be my next board? I cant wait to try it.

Whatever they do, It will take you that long just to learn and exploit the greatness of this fantastic PSR3000 keyboard. By then, the next generations will be here and you will be able to make a more informed decision on upgrading.

If I was in your shoes, I would ABSOLUTELY spend my limited funds on a PSR3000 and invest in a good set of speakers or studio monitors. It makes all the difference in the world.

Good luck, happy playing. Russ

------------------
Russ Bolduc
russbolduc@comcast.net
817-714-0488

PSR S900
Korg PA1XPRO
Kurzweil PC3X
Logitech Z

#157129 - 05/06/05 03:10 PM Re: please help a new guy
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
curious if your prediction is based on some new knowledge of inside information you've gained recently. - Scott [/B]

Yes, but I can't tell you: I promised to keep the secret!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online