SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#157011 - 12/19/04 11:28 AM 60 cycle hum using mixer
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hello

I recently got a Behringer UB802 and am using it with my Tyros and powered JBL's.

I am hearing a 60 cycle hum now. Changing the volume on the Tyros doesn't affect this, but changing the volume on the mixer does.

Is this normal? I haven't really checked the cords yet, but I suspect that isn't it.

It also appears to Jen and I that my keyboard sounds better as far as tone using the mixer even at low volumes with all eq set to flat on the mixer. Is this possible, even at low volumes, or are we imagining this?

Scott

#157012 - 12/19/04 12:10 PM Re: 60 cycle hum using mixer
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Scott,

60 cycle humm can come from a variety of sources. I would venture a guess that there is a conflict between the Tyros and the mixer power supply grounding system. A possible solution to this is to plug in an ungrounded AC adapter to the mixer's power cord. This could solve your problem.

As for the quality of the sound, without listening to it first hand, I would be difficult to tell.

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#157013 - 12/19/04 12:30 PM Re: 60 cycle hum using mixer
R-F Offline

Loc: Berlin/ Germany
Hi,
did you try to connect the Tyros using D.I. boxes? Does other sources show the same humming?
Did you try to connect your Tyros with another mixing console?
Is Tyros and the other equipment powered by the same electricity system?
Is it an Tyros made for USA or made for Europe and used with an convcerter?
Or is the mixing console made for USA?
Or does Tyros share the same electricity system with light equipment?
Is the Tyros's electricity cable grounded or not (my 9000 hums when I connect to my HiFi equipment with antenna)?
Or what about USB connection?
I have trouble too, connecting the computer to other grounded equipment.
Is an audio cord parallel with an electricity cable?
There are many reasons possible. I would check with mixing console and Tyros using head phones and no other equipment.

------------------
Regards
RF

#157014 - 12/19/04 01:05 PM Re: 60 cycle hum using mixer
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
A possible solution to this is to plug in an ungrounded AC adapter to the mixer's power cord

9 outta 10 times this'll do it... a little $1.50 adapter plug.

#157015 - 12/19/04 04:06 PM Re: 60 cycle hum using mixer
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Re: Ungrounded AC adaptor. The ac wall wart for the mixer is a special fit for Behringer only. The other end is a 2 prong where one prong is wider than the other.

Unless there is something I don't know about, like a special ac adaptor other than what i am aware of, then this won't happen.

I thought perphaps if I found an extension chord that was soft rubber perhaps I could shove the plug in backwards and reverse the polarity. The mixer manual say to not do what it is I understand we're attempting here.

I'm still listening. hmmmmmmmmmmm

Scott

#157016 - 12/19/04 05:31 PM Re: 60 cycle hum using mixer
Anonymous
Unregistered

Don't try to plug a polarized 2 prong A/C connector in backwards and don't use one of those little ground lift adapters.

You are experiencing a ground loop. As stated above there are many reasons this could be happening, but defeating things related to A/C safety is not the way to correct the problem.

Everyone should carry at least one of these with them to every gig and a couple of these . I never leave home without them. They have saved the day (or night) several times during concerts.

Best Regards,

Dave

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
Nat'l Product and Support Manager
Generalmusic USA

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online