SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#15692 - 10/20/03 08:00 AM Q re: samples/coversion from a WK4 hard drive
Musical704 Offline

Loc: Florida,USA
I have some samples stored in a WK4 hard drive. How do I save them to a floppy as a .wav so that I can archive them on my PC?

They save on the floppy as a .txl file. Do I need some type of conversion software?

Thanks in advance!

#15693 - 10/20/03 10:44 AM Re: Q re: samples/coversion from a WK4 hard drive
Chris A Offline

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ,
If you use the EXPORT function in SAMPLE TRANSLATOR and set the format to RIFF WAVE you may export the individual constituent samples from a multisample one-by-one as WAV files). The .TXL file itself contains only the raw sample data. There are other associated files that must be included with the .TXL file if you wish to re-use it on the WK4 in the future. A .TXL without these associated files will not load at all.

If you just want to archive files on your PC then you don't need to change the format. Just leave the filenames and folder structure exactly as is and copy them to you PC's hard drive. You can also buy a 2.5" USB enclosure for around $100. This will let you connect the WK4's hard drive directly to your PC and drag the contents to another folder, CD-R etc.

#15694 - 10/21/03 06:24 AM Re: Q re: samples/coversion from a WK4 hard drive
Musical704 Offline

Loc: Florida,USA
Thanks for your time and info. Chris.

Musical704

#15695 - 10/21/03 11:57 AM Re: Q re: samples/coversion from a WK4 hard drive
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris A:
...Just leave the filenames and folder structure exactly as is and copy them to you PC's hard drive. You can also buy a 2.5" USB enclosure for around $100. This will let you connect the WK4's hard drive directly to your PC and drag the contents to another folder, CD-R etc.

Okay, when I originally read this I thought, "What, there's another way to connect to a WK4 (I have the WK8) other than the SCSI interface and access the file system?" Then I thought, no there's not (but I could be wrong). So I read the above again and again and I'm just not getting it. Are you suggesting that he crack his WK4 open, remove the 2.5 inch HD, install it into the appropriate enclosure, connect that to the PC via USB and copy the HD's contents?

Did I get that right? Is that REALLY what you want him to do? If so and if Musical704 does go thru with it, let us know and I'll share with you what I learned when opening up a WK4. If I'm way off base here, maybe you can straighten me out.

(not trying to sound snobbish here)(just trying to help)

Maybe this would be a good time to talk about PC connectivity and GEM keyboards. Are there any plans on moving to USB? SCSI is okay I guess as long as it's included in the keyboard IMHO, but you really don't see many SCSI interfaces built into PC's these days, do you? Too many flavors of SCSI (speed-wise) I guess.

mike

#15696 - 10/21/03 12:25 PM Re: Q re: samples/coversion from a WK4 hard drive
Chris A Offline

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ,
Since the WK4 was pre-SCSI, I mentioned one alternative for bulk transfer which might have been of use to our friend. My apologies if you thought this advice was inappropriate. I was just trying to be helpful.

#15697 - 10/21/03 12:45 PM Re: Q re: samples/coversion from a WK4 hard drive
JoostMerema Offline

Loc: Netherlands
msutliff, would you please change your tone in this discussion. Cris is as GEM person a very valuable source of information, and always willing to help someone with his problems regarding GEM products.

As far as I know, Musical704 asked a question, Cris answered with the solution. Saving as WAV file .

He gave also info about backing up WK4 Files by grabbing your screwdriver and unplug the hard-disk. It isn't pretty, but it is the only way. Don't flame him on the procedure, since it is the only way to back up your hard disk. Wk6 (optional) and Wk8 (standard) have the posibility to hook up a SCSI device. Wk4 doesn't have that option, altough there is a space reserved in the keyboard cover - which you can see. The wk4 mainboard doesn't support a SCSI interface.

To Musical704, maybe you need the WK4 Plus OS update. You will need it to edit sounds and save them as WAV files. Get it at www.musicmediasoft.com, follow their instructions if you need to update your keyboard. The sound edit 'synth' option will be found from now on under the button 'option' on your right hand (between 'st/song' and 'general').

To Cris: I would like to stress that I (and I feel I can speak for the frequent visitors of this forum) appreciate your input in this forum.

greetings,
Joost

Edit: Added info about WK4 Plus Update

[This message has been edited by JoostMerema (edited 10-21-2003).]

Edit2: URL Fix

[This message has been edited by JoostMerema (edited 10-21-2003).]

#15698 - 10/21/03 02:10 PM Re: Q re: samples/coversion from a WK4 hard drive
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
May I add that firewire support is better and more valued than USB support.

There are few things that can be very helpful and elevate any keyboard to any another professional level:

1) Firewire support: Yamaha of course calls mLan. But firewire support that allows not just the transfer of the harddrive data but also real-time transfer of audio to a computer. But furthermore, the audio transfer would be not just digital but at least 24bit/44.1khz.

2) MTC (midi time clock) support, word clock support. Many Sequencers are no longer accepting external midi clock for sequencing. One example is Cubase SX.

Now of course Genesys has CDRW and all-flash machine. This is really pushed technology ahead.

#15699 - 10/22/03 07:12 AM Re: Q re: samples/coversion from a WK4 hard drive
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA
Hello all,

I knew this was going to be taken wrong. My better judgement told me to delete my response and just leave it alone. I should have listened.....

Of course Chris A's input is very valuable and much appreciated and we're all very thankful for that. In no way was I trying to second guess his advice. On the contrary, I was asking for clarification. But now that I read it again, one could say there were snide overtones. That's not how I wanted it to sound.

With all emotions aside, let's talk facts. I owned the WK4 for two years. I've had to crack it open 3 times. Video card install, RAM upgrade, mother-board replacement. 15 screws accessed from the bottom, some different lengths so you had to keep track of what went where. Ribbon cable going to the display is (was on mine) not long enough to allow the laying down of the top panel once you separated it from the bottom (you had to stand it up-right and keep it from tipping away). Do you see where I'm going here?

Doesn't matter, I think this one is over. I know it's not my place and I happily accept that. If I had to do it over, I would most definitely word my comments differently, yet my initial questions would probably still be the same.

Sincerely,

Mike

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online