SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#156576 - 08/06/05 09:40 PM Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Wow, with Thanks to Arnos (SZ member Impuls) for his terrific TIP , I've now learned it's possible to easily create & display custom lyrics (and chords) on the Yamaha Tyros while performing in auto-accompaniment mode, of which is my prefered style of arranger keyboard playing.

This method of Lyric Display utilizes the Tyros' ability to create personal decorative background bmp files to appear in the LCD display window's background. I don't believe Yamaha intended this feature for displaying LYRICS & CHORDS at all, but because of the ingenuity of people like Arno, figured out how to utilize it for this.

In Adobe Photoshop, you can quickly enter lyrics and optional chords, and then save this as a .bmp file (640x480) matching the screen view aspect ratio of the Tyros LCD screen. If you don't have Photoshop, you can import a Word File into MSPaint instead. I then created a folder on the Tyros Hard Drive (titled: Lyrics-Chords) to store/access these custom lyric .bmp files.

Next, create a 'blank named' Tyros Song File. The reason this is required is that whatever name is given will appear in front (on top) & obscure the Lyrics. Unfortunately it's not possible to create a completely blank name because it must include a least one character. Since a period (.) is not allowed, I named it with the comma (,) character, next tiniest character. I then assigned this Song the aptly titled Tyros 'icon' graphic: "ABC Lyrics". In addition, I now have this SONG automatically called up when I turn on the Tyros: via Preset Startup Registration.

Now, at anytime, when playing the keyboard, by simply selecting: 'LYRICS' (B button), and then BACKGROUND (#8 toggle button) in the Tyros MAIN DISPLAY window, I can quickly call up the lyrics to any .bmp lyric/chord file stored in the Tyros Hard Drive's: 'Lyrics-Chords' folder.

Song Lyrics(with optional chords) to other songs are easily called up in the same manner at any time. In addition to lyrics & chords, I add arranger keyboard specific instructions as well. This may include: Song Key, Reg Numbers, and specific places in song to trigger them; specific intro/endings; etc.

So far, I've created 6 lyrics files and tried it out during a performance, and it works great. The only drawbacks are that the comma (,) of which I had to name the SONG FILE might obsure one character or letter displayed (see 'Song Lyrics Display w/chords' pics below which HIGHLIGHT this problem), and the amount of screen space (real estate) for lyrics is more limiting then I would prefer. Still, I think this specific adapted Lyric Display feature could be easily enhanced by Yamaha, of which might include window scroll or a one button press to assess more pages. I don't know if it's too late or not, but this feature would be a welcome addition for Tyros2.

Ok, enough yak yak. Confucious says a pic is worth a thousands, so here are some Tyros LCD Screen shots:

Tyros MAIN SCREEN - note the 'Lyrics' selection box (at left side of LCD display) & "ABC Lyrics" titled Song ICON (in song title box):

Lyrics Background Pic Window
Song Lyrics Selections:

Song Lyrics w/Chords Display (View 1):

Song Lyrics w/Chord Display (View 2):

I hope other Tyros owners, & perhaps PSR3000/PSR2000/2100 owners as well, will find this 'end-user adapted' Lyric Display feature as useful as I have. Please let me know what you think. Thanks again Arno.

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 08-06-2005).]

#156577 - 08/06/05 11:16 PM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
Roel Offline

Scott,
I like this 'feature' too, but hoped to be able to save the background IN a registration. If that would be possible a huge WOW feeling will come up for sure !

Roel

#156578 - 08/06/05 11:20 PM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
keyofg Offline

Loc: usa
Wow! Should I watch for your MusicPadPro+ for sale on ebay?

George
keyofg

#156579 - 08/07/05 12:08 AM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by keyofg:
Wow! Should I watch for your MusicPadPro+ for sale on ebay?

Hi George. You definitely won't be finding my MusicPadPro+ for sale on Ebay (or anywhere else) anytime soon. Though this 'user adapted' Tyros KB Song Lyric Display feature is both useful & convenient it's no substitute for what the MusicPad Pro+ provides. - Scott

#156580 - 08/07/05 12:20 AM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Roel:
I like this 'feature' too, but hoped to be able to save the background IN a registration.

Roel, I agree. I'm hoping Yamaha might read this, and take this as an opportunity to not only officially incorporate this type of custom song lyric display feature, perhaps on Tyros2, but to also IMPROVE on it: adding the ablity to store & call up a specific Song Lyric file from a Registration, and from MusicFinder as well, or provide ability to select (scroll?) multiple page lyrics. Steve Deming (Yamaha USA). Any chance you could pass this request onto Yamaha Japan? - Scott

#156581 - 08/07/05 12:22 AM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
eddiefromrotherham Offline

Loc: Rotherham,England.
Hi Arno and Scott
This fantastic tip has been immediately added to my list on my website (Tip 029). This is a tip which will surely be used by many Tyros users. It would be interesting to know if it is also possible to add this feature to the 2000 and 3000?!!
cheers
Eddie

------------------
Eddie from Rotherham
www.yamahakeyboards.info

#156582 - 08/07/05 03:54 AM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
Impuls Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Scott,
Thanks for the translation,good job

Arno

#156583 - 08/07/05 05:41 AM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
girljam Offline

Loc: FL
i've got a 2100, but not sure if this is possible for me . . . wont' have time today to fool with it, so if anyone knows this - give me a shout!

Jill

PSR S970, PSR S910, ShureSM57 mics, and way too much misc.

#156584 - 08/07/05 07:45 AM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
I just did a quick check on the PSR3000, and it looks like you can only pull up the backgrounds from the preset backgrounds.

No option for user backgrounds. No cigar, this time for the PSR3000 owners.

Regards,

Jerry

#156585 - 08/07/05 12:57 PM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
notlos Offline

Loc: Belgium
Nice feature !!!

Just chat with scott on msn and see here on the photo's that it's great to see lyrics and chords displayed on the screen.
Also on the pa1x-pa1xpro you can make lyrics txt only with white background and black text.

regards,

notlos
www.notlos.com

#156586 - 08/07/05 09:21 PM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
TomTomSF Offline

Loc: Half Moon Bay, CA, USA
Hi Scott

Instead of a comma, maybe and underscore _ will not block the text.

Tom G.

#156587 - 08/21/05 12:27 PM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
kwinther Offline

Loc: Denmark
Quote:
Originally posted by TomTomSF:
Hi Scott

Instead of a comma, maybe and underscore _ will not block the text.

Tom G.

You can use a SPACE instead. Also you can store your bitmap in a registration. You have to save your bitmap in a midi file and then save the midi file along with your registration. Be aware of that Styles with DSP effects will loose the effect next time you recall the registration. To get around that you have to recall the registration and freeze the Song only. Then save the registration and next time you recall your registration it will load the midifile which contains the BMP file. You have to make one midifile per BMP. I have made almost 400 now and it works perfect.

Regards
Kim Winther

[This message has been edited by kwinther (edited 08-21-2005).]

#156588 - 08/21/05 03:38 PM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by kwinther:
You can use a SPACE instead.

STRANGE , because when I attempt to save the midi song file's name with a single space (" ") character only, I get the following Tyros error message: STOP! A period (".") or a space (" ") is NOT allowed at the top of the file name.

Quote:
you can store your bitmap in a registration. You have to save your bitmap in a midi file and then save the midi file along with your registration . . . You have to make one midifile per BMP.

Yes, BUT . . . unless I'm missing something here, the fact that "you have to make one midifile per BMP" means you have to give (name) each midifile a DIFFERENT name, which basically eliminates the possibility of limiting the MIDI Song's name to only one character, less a blank name with a "single space' character only, as you had suggested, resulting in further obtruction of the lyrics displayed in the bitmap file background.

Kim, because you claim to have created over 400 midifiles dedicated to bitmap lyric background file display, please EXPLAIN how you're able to call up each of the (400) uniquely named midifiles without the midifile's "song name" BLOCKING (obsuring) the bitmap file's background lyrics displayed. Thanks, Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 08-21-2005).]

#156589 - 08/22/05 07:24 AM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
KFingers Offline

Loc: Brighton - UK
Hey - K Winther - Thanks for this really usefull tip.

Can you describe step by step how you achieve this please....

Regards - KFingers

#156590 - 08/22/05 11:06 AM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
kwinther Offline

Step by step. I presume you have your BMP file ready. Don't be scared about the long looking instruction. Once you get on with it, it takes only 30-40 seconds to link a lyric (Background) to a midi file and save it correctly into a reg.mem.

First we create a midi file
1) When you first turn on Tyros go into Song Creator (editing the Song "NewSong"). In Song Creator go to Lyrics and change the Name to a SPACE.

2) Save the midi file with the name "Empty" for example. This is now your "master midi file".

3) Copy the "Empty" midi file to another midi file called "JohnnyBGoode".

4) When "JohnnyBGoode" is the active Song go into Lyrics and select your Background (the BMP).

5) When Lyrics (BMP) is selected go into Song Creator and select Channel and 5 SET UP.

6) Make sure only "LYRICS/BKGD/LNG" is selected. Press EXECUTE and then SAVE the Song. Now everytime you call up the "JohnnyBGoode" midi it automatically displays the Lyrics you selected.

Now lets save it into a reg.mem.
7) JohnnyBGoode has to be your Song selected before you select and active an existing reg.mem. Very important otherwise the Style DSP is not used - however there is a way around that also see (9). If you are creating a new reg.mem. just select the Song (JohnnyBGoode) first and then make your changes you save in a reg.mem.

8) With the Song selected select a reg.mem and save it with the Group Select SONG selected into memory and save your registration to disk.

Test the Style DSP1 is ok and if not, make it ok
9) Load your registrations bank.

10) Activate your reg.mem. Go into MIXING CONSOLE (STYLE PART) and look at the DSP1. If you can't change the values there is either no DSP in the style or the midi file has overridden the style DSP. If the latter is the case see (11).

11) Go into FREEZE GROUP SETTING (press Direct Access and Freeze buttons). Deactivate everything except SONG.

12) Now go back to the MIXING CONSOLE (STYLE PART) and look at the DSP1. Activate Freeze and press your reg.mem. button. If you were unable to change the DSP1 values on the screen and the Style contains DSP you will now see the DSP change to the Style DSP and you are now allowed to change the values. Now save your reg.mem. again.

13) To be absolutely sure (you only do that in the beginning until you are used to the routine) deactive the Freeze button. Press the reg.mem. Look what happens with the DSP1 and if changes again do (12) one more time.

14) Save your registration bank.

Yes I have created almost 400 midi files and reg.mems. this way and I think it was worth the trouble and yes it took me some time to find out what to do when the DSP disappeared in the Styles - that was the tricky part I think.

Once you are used to it, it is very easy - I made around 30-40 a day until I had made them all.

Hope it helps!

Regards
Kim Winther

[This message has been edited by kwinther (edited 08-22-2005).]

[This message has been edited by kwinther (edited 08-22-2005).]

#156591 - 08/22/05 01:26 PM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
Scottyee Offline

Quote:

Step by step.

1) When you first turn on Tyros go into Song Creator (editing the Song "NewSong"). In Song Creator go to Lyrics and change the Name to a SPACE.

2) Save the midi file with the name "Empty" for example. This is now your "master midi file".

3) Copy the "Empty" midi file to another midi file called "JohnnyBGoode".

4) When "JohnnyBGoode" is the active Song go into Lyrics and select your Background (the BMP).

5) When Lyrics (BMP) is selected go into Song Creator and select Channel and 5 SET UP.

6) Make sure only "LYRICS/BKGD/LNG" is selected. Press EXECUTE and then SAVE the Song.

Now everytime you call up the "JohnnyBGoode" midi it automatically displays the Lyrics you selected.

Yes, but the song's name: "JohnnyBGoode" is also BOLDLY displayed atop the lyrics as well, partially obscuring the lyric text.

Kim, I performed ALL your above outlined steps, including re-naming the 'name entry' to 'space' (" ") in the SONG CREATOR Lyrics Tab Section, and making sure "LYRICS/BKGD/LNG" the ONLY option selected in Song Creator: Channel Tab > 5 Setup, followed by pressing Execute and resaving the file.

It appears to me, at least on my Tyros, that changing, or completely deleting, the song NAME entry title in SONG CREATOR has no bearing on what is displayed on the Tyros LCD when the Lyrics Background is called up. It's NOT the entry NAME given in Song Creator's Lyric Tab, but the midi file's name (ei: JohnnyBGoode.mid) that is ALWAYS displayed whenever the LYRICS Window (BMP background file) is called up.

Kim, if you're really able to completely eliminate the LCD Lyrics DISPLAY of the midi song's name, might you perhaps post screenshot pics, similar to what I've shared above. Has 'anyone else' here been able to accomplish this?

Scott

#156592 - 08/22/05 01:29 PM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
KFingers Offline

Weeeeeeeeeeee

Fantastic - I have been waiting for this facility and it was there all the time.

I had all my Gig lyrics in Word and it is a simple matter to save these as BMP files and transfer them to the Tyros.

With Kim's magnificent help the words to each song now loads automatically with each registration I select.

Thanks for taking the trouble to write all the instructions down Kim. You are a real star and if you're ever in the UK near Brighton then I owe you a large one.

I have this facility on my Ketron and was a little miffed when I thought it wasn't on the Tyros.

Once again- many thanks indeed Kim

PS. For you purists out there - I know I should remember the words but over the years I have learned many songs and like to have variety in my sets. (Well that's my excuse)

Regards - KFingers

#156593 - 08/23/05 02:42 AM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
KFingers Offline

Hey Scott, this works fine for me - I first got confused with trying to save the file as " " but you actually save the first midi file as "Master" or "Empty". You only do this once and then make a copy of this file for each song you want to display the lyrics for.

It is the name parameter that you change in the Song Creator on the Lyrics page. Just use the up arrow on the left until you get to the name field and delete the name ("New Song") and replace it with " " instead - Then you save your file as your master with any meaningfull name you wish.

This results in a clear/empty display for your lyrics, instructions, chords etc. plus a meaningful midifile name that contains only a "locked" background (when you have selected the appropriate bmp and saved the file as explained above.

So, you can recall the screen by selecting the song name (midifile name) or by linking it to a registration it automatically loads when the registration for the your song is recalled.

I know that you use Musicfinder for your song setups and I tried this but I swapped to using an individual registration file for each song so I already have the files needed for the linking described above.

I think you can only link a midifile to a complete registration bank but I will try later to see if I can link a midi to each individual registration within a bank as this would allow multiple bmp display pages which could be incremented using a footswitch using the registration sequence feature.

Even if the above is not possible, what I have achieved so far with the help of Kim and Arnos and yourself has made me a happy bunny.

Regards and thanks to all

KFingers

#156594 - 08/23/05 07:35 AM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
kwinther Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by KFingers:
I think you can only link a midifile to a complete registration bank but I will try later to see if I can link a midi to each individual registration within a bank...

You can link to each of the 8 reg.mems.

I use that in medleys and in songs where the lyrics don't fit on one "page". The song American Pie I had to make 3 BMP's and I link that to 3 reg.mems. I then use reg.mems. as lyric "scrolls".

Regards
Kim Winther

#156595 - 08/23/05 07:48 AM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I have about 1700 songs on my laptop. That would be a lot of conversions!
I probably do another few hundred that aren't on the lt.
DonM

#156596 - 08/24/05 06:55 AM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
KFingers Offline

Thanks Kim - I tried it and you're right, you can have different pages of lyrics/chords/jokes/pics of the wife/etc. on each of the 8 registrations.

Don - I don't need words for all the songs I do but there are certain ones with lots of verses that I find I can't remember some of them and so I repeat ones I have already sung...mind you - you can keep a song going for 25 mins this way LOL

Regards - KFingers

#156597 - 08/24/05 08:13 AM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
Scottyee Offline

Kfingers and/or Kim Winther. As I stated earlier, though I completely remove the song name in Song Creator by re-naming the 'name entry' to 'space' (" ") in the SONG CREATOR Lyrics Tab Section, the midifile itself MUST always include a name, of which a 'space' "_" character is not acceptable. It is this midifile name that ALWAYS appears atop of (potentially obsuring) the lyrics background display, as evidenced by the following midifile I had named comma: "," below:

Kfingers and/or Kim Winther. Can one of you post (or send to me privately) a SCREENSHOT of one of your Lyrics BMP background files displayed on the Tyros LCD Screen, and of which the midi file 'name' does NOT appear along with it as well.

I STILL can't figure out how to keep the Midi File's name from being displayed here. Am I missing something?

Scott

#156598 - 08/25/05 10:18 AM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
KFingers Offline

Hi Scott,

In your last post I think you are displaying a bmp file called "," as a background to a midifile and not a midi file with a LOCKED background.

Your midifiles can be called anything you want (Mine are the same as my registration names which are also the song titles) but you must follow the procedure as follows.

When you first switch on, edit the New Song (which is blank) and then change the name in the song creator /Lyrics page to a space then save this as as "Empty" or "Blank" or whatever.

This is just an empty midi file and if you now choose to diplay it you will still see the last selected background (bmp file).

Now make a copy of this so you dont have to edit the name parameter each time but call your copy the song name (ie. Twist and Shout)

With this midi file selected on the main display select the Lyrics view and then background to then select your lyrics bmp file for twist an shout. DO NOT SAVE THE FILE YET.

Now go into Song Creator and then go to the chanels page and cursor down to option 5 (SETUP).

You must then uncheck all the boxes except LYRCS/BCKGRND/LNG and then press execute. This then locks the background to the midifile - Now save your file.

When you now display the lyrics the name of the song is " ". This character can be seen as a very faint block and slightly dims any lyrics character you may have at that position on the screen. However, this is much better than the comma obscuring one of your words.

Once you have performed this procedure you can create each lyric is around 20 seconds but it is a lot of button pushing. Once chosen the Song creator screens remain the same so this simplifies the procedure for any subsequent midi files you create

I'm sure you know how to link a song to registration if you need to do this.

Dont forget, you need to display the song to get your lyrics not select a new background bmp file.

Hope this clears it up for you.

I'm not in front of the Tyros right now so I can't remember the letters and numbers for the buttons you need to press.

Regards - KFingers

[This message has been edited by KFingers (edited 08-25-2005).]

#156599 - 08/26/05 11:21 AM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
kwinther Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
Kfingers and/or Kim Winther. Can one of you post (or send to me privately) a SCREENSHOT of one of your Lyrics BMP background files displayed on the Tyros LCD Screen

I have sent you an empty midi to work with.

Kim

#156600 - 08/26/05 02:05 PM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Kim, I guess you are no longer a Roland user..from the old R-A-G days..Fran

#156601 - 08/26/05 06:38 PM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by KFingers:
When you first switch on, edit the New Song (which is blank) and then change the name in the song creator /Lyrics page to a blank space

Kfingers. Ahhh BINGO!: That's just where I messed up. I went back and re-checked the 'Lyrics Tab Window' of the midi file I had created, and I had mistakenly assigned a comma "," to the name entry, and not a blank space "_", as I had thought I had.

Quote:
I have sent you an empty midi to work with.

Kim, a great BIG thank you for sending me the 'empty' midi file, of which has confirmed to me exactly what I was doing wrong. I feel pretty stupid now for having overlooked what is so obvious now. KFingers & KimW: thanks again for the enduring patience you've shown with your help.

Ok gang, in addition to lyrics & chord chart display, I've now been able to impressively display "lead sheets" with notation too. Music which include more than one page are easily accessed by pressing reg (1-8) buttons. Not as slick as an external music display device (like the MusicPad Pro) offers, but it's quite functional none the less. In addition to lyrics, chords, and/or full out lead sheets, I like to also display ARRANGER LIVE performance instructions: when/where to trigger fills, key modulation markings, which intro/ending button to use, etc.

This once previously hidden (unknown) Tyros feature alone may make it 'well worth' upgrading from the PSR3000 for many people. I can only assume that Tyros2 will support this feature as well. I'm now wondering if Yamaha will now see fit to add mention of this in their Tyros2 owner's manual now.

Scott

#156602 - 08/26/05 06:56 PM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
Dnj Offline

Scott question.....when performing in this method how do you keep eye contact while your looking down at the display screen?

#156603 - 08/26/05 07:33 PM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
Scottyee Offline

Tyros LCD Screen Display of - Take The A Train, Duke Elllington:

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Scott question.....when performing in this method how do you keep eye contact while your looking down at the display screen?

Come on Donny, I think I've already covered this many times before here. As with those of you guys who utilize a laptop PC to display lyrics, one should only need to glance at the screen occasionally (at most) for a visual cue when/if the memory slips. It's used as a teleprompter, of which even headline entertainers like Frank Sinatra relied on in his shows. If used discretely, it's a highly effective performance tool. Afterall it can't be expected for entertainers to KNOW the lyrics & changes to EVERY song out there. That's not only impractical, but impossible, and anyone here that claims otherwise would be outright lying. The big advantage of lyric/chord , and lead sheet prompts is that it increases the ability to fullfill many more audience requests than otherwise possible.

Ok, In the case of the Tyros, its LCD screen size is FAR SMALLER, and I believe FAR LESS distracting than your laptop screen is, and of which I believe sits 'right in front of you' when you perform, right, so perhaps my question to you should be: "how do YOU keep eye contact with the audience when staring into YOUR laptop's screen"?

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 08-26-2005).]

#156604 - 08/27/05 09:25 AM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
Fran Carango Offline

That's one for Scott.

#156605 - 08/27/05 09:26 AM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
Fran Carango Offline

That's one for Scott.

Actually 99% of the time Donny just makes a selection from the screen...the rest is interaction with the audience..

#156606 - 08/27/05 11:14 AM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
99% of the time Donny just makes a selection from the screen...the rest is interaction with the audience..

That being the case, and the FACT that I'm constantly having to defend myself for basically 'doing the the SAME thing' strikes me as rather hypocritical.

The fact is that I play the arranger keyboard LIVE (no pre-sequenced midi files) and sing all night long, including fulfilling song requests, which requires a vast song repetoire . Except for those with a limited repetoire, it's impossible for anyone to keep every song they know fully memorized and at peak performance level in their head & fingers. "So what" if I need to rely on the MusicPad Pro or LCD Screen to perform occasionally. The mere fact that I'm able to satsify an audience member's request is what makes them happy, bringing BIGGER tips, and them coming back night after night as well. Except for formal concert venue performances, I see nothing wrong with occasionally utilizing music/lyrics on stage when required, as long as it doesn't interfere with your audience interaction. I certainly hope (but doubt) my answer here will finally put my need to defend my position on this to rest. Let's wait and see. - Scott

#156607 - 08/27/05 12:58 PM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
Fran Carango Offline

Scott, the lone exception is Dave Boyd..He has the best recollection of lyrics and can tackle any song on the fly, using adequate chords and a proper bass line..

I can remember songs I have played for 40 years, but can never understand how someone can remember all the lyrics..
I have worked with young ladies that needed a key first word to remember tunes..

No need to defend yourself using a music prompt...we all have used them over the years...the key is not to use them as a crutch..

#156608 - 08/27/05 01:48 PM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
Dnj Offline

Scott...Testy arent we ?
Out of the three things I use my laptop for Lyrics is about 10%....my screen is off to the right so I have a clear view straight out front to the audience....Im not going to argue....

#156609 - 08/27/05 04:34 PM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Scott...Testy arent we ?

Donny,

Well YES!, but can you really BLAME me? It's obvious that you, uncle dave, and others here too, utilize lyrics/music display onstage at least occasionally (aka laptop PC). For you to now turn around and infer that my method of using it (via MusicPad Pro or Tyros LCD Display Screen) is somehow inferior, strikes me as hypocritical, especially since I'd already had to spend so much time DEFENDING how I use it to you guys earlier, which incidently, is NO DIFFERENTLY (including no more often) than you use your laptop. Just in case you forgot, it was previously covered in my '5th posting' on the following thread:
http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/009823.html

Peace. - Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 08-27-2005).]

#156610 - 08/27/05 09:02 PM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
Dnj Offline

I seem to be misunderstood..I never said Music Pad pro....my question was directed at the Tyros display method & in no demeaning way either regarding looking down vs looking forward....
I'll extend an Olive Branch

#156611 - 08/28/05 03:42 AM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Compared to most of you on the forum especially Scott, Fran, Donny etc. I'm a rank amateur!! I have the utmost respect that you can play 99.9% of your material from memory. Less than a year ago I started gigging and unfortunately, for me I have to use lead sheets for 99% of what I play.( good thing I have a day job) At 53 years old I find it very difficult to keep in my head what I ate for lunch yesterday, never mind 30 tunes for a one hour gig. I use a 3 inch thick binder for lead sheets, talk about distration! I'm working on memorzing material, but it ain't easy. After seeing Scott's photos of the music pad pro. I know this is definitely on my wish list. In the meantime I will give me laptop a whirl. Thank you all for your input on the forum, I'm getting a real education.

#156612 - 08/28/05 03:46 AM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
Stephenm52 Offline

Quote:
I find it very difficult to keep in my head what I ate for lunch yesterday

Oh, yea I just remembered it was a eggs, toast and home fries.

#156613 - 08/28/05 01:40 PM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
my question was directed at the Tyros display method . . . looking down vs looking forward

Donny, I personally don't think it matters whether you're looking slightly down, or slightly to the right or left. If only for a brief glance to help recover from a lyric/chord change memory lapse, it's no big deal, and a whole lot better than suffering the embarrassment of screwing up the song. The important thing is never to rely on lyrics/music exclusively (that's a crutch), but just use it for backup assistance if required. Heck, the world of entertainment (especially arranger keyboard) is part illusion afterall, and some element of 'smoke & mirrors' is part of the mix. Though not a fan of President Bush, I've noticed he too utilizes a digital display teleprompter whenever he speaks, glancing 'DOWN' at it every few seconds. It's just too bad our leaders need to resort to 'smoke & mirrors' to promote their policy agendas as well. - Scott

#156614 - 08/28/05 07:21 PM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
Dnj Offline

Quote:
The important thing is never to rely on lyrics/music exclusively (that's a crutch), but just use it for backup assistance if required. - Scott

Scott now we're on the same page Carry On!

#156615 - 08/29/05 09:31 AM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Scott now we're on the same page

Donny, I honestly think you knew we've been on the same page on this issue 'all along', but merely having a little fun baiting me. I just couldn't resist taking it and running with it. - Scott

#156616 - 08/29/05 10:51 AM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
Dnj Offline

Kiss KIss

#156617 - 08/29/05 10:54 AM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
kwinther Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Kim, I guess you are no longer a Roland user..from the old R-A-G days..Fran

Hi Fran
Nope - today Yamaha user and tomorrow too

Kim

[This message has been edited by kwinther (edited 08-29-2005).]

#156618 - 08/29/05 11:18 AM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
kwinther Offline

Scott, the picture of you and the microphone stand. Have you made the mic stand yourself or ?

Regards Kim

[This message has been edited by kwinther (edited 08-29-2005).]

#156619 - 08/29/05 11:33 AM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Scott, the picture of you and the microphone stand.

Kim, the mic stand/boom unit (around $30 US) is a Quiklok model QLX-4 which easily attaches to any Quiklok QL or QLX (X style) keyboard stand - Scott

#156620 - 08/29/05 11:43 AM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
Dnj Offline

The Mic Boom collar comes in two diameters 28mm & 30mm make sure you measure your stand tubing first!

#156621 - 08/29/05 11:56 AM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
Scottyee Offline

The QLX-4 actually ONLY comes with a 30mm locking collar, of which works with ANY of the QL & QLX series Quiklok keyboard stands. - Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 08-29-2005).]

#156622 - 08/29/05 12:37 PM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephenm52:
... for me I have to use lead sheets for 99% of what I play.

Steve ... wait 'till you start singing and have to remember the lyrics as well ...

Quote:

....30 tunes for a one hour gig.

.... are you playing the abridged version ?? or do you just play very fast ??

t.

#156623 - 08/29/05 01:06 PM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
Stephenm52 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
.... are you playing the abridged version ?? or do you just play very fast ??

t.

Tony I got a good laugh out of that one!! Now you see why I have trouble memorizing I can't even count how many tunes I play in an hour. Ever listened to an old 33 RPM at 45 RPM speed?

#156624 - 08/29/05 01:13 PM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
kwinther Offline

Quote:
Kim, the mic stand/boom unit (around $30 US) is a Quiklok model QLX-4

Thanks Scott
I found a distributor in Denmark. Will call them tomorrow to hear where to buy. I think the stand/boom unit seems very convenient.

Kim

#156625 - 08/29/05 01:27 PM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephenm52:
Tony I got a good laugh out of that one!! Now you see why I have trouble memorizing I can't even count how many tunes I play in an hour. Ever listened to an old 33 RPM at 45 RPM speed?

.. sure ..... my stereo still has a turntable ...
t.

#156626 - 08/29/05 01:53 PM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
Dnj Offline

T-16 28mm tube

#156627 - 12/04/05 10:33 PM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
TP123 Offline

Loc: Fla. / Nashville
>(see 'Song Lyrics Display w/chords' pics below which HIGHLIGHT this problem),<

Hi,

I don't 'see' the pictures?

Tks

Tommy

#156628 - 12/05/05 07:29 PM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
It's obvious that you, uncle dave, and others here too, utilize lyrics/music display onstage at least occasionally

Hey lady ... leave me outta this.

#156629 - 12/05/05 07:30 PM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
The QLX-4 actually ONLY comes with a 30mm locking collar

Donny's right - we both have had the 28mm version. They have since stopped making it I think, but there are a bunch around.

#156630 - 12/06/05 05:05 PM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
cajun100 Offline

Loc: Mill Valley, CA USA
After quite a few chats with the Sweetwater and other people, I finally determined that the current Quiklok mike accessory also fits the 2000 and other similar "Ultimate" brand KB stands and related. From a quick look at mine, I do not think the mentioned 28mm would be large enough; getting the current model (30?mm) provides for shimming if necessary and should work fine.

Nice solution to avoid floor congestion, but there is some shimmer and shake when things get rolling.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online