SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#156596 - 08/24/05 06:55 AM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
KFingers Offline

Loc: Brighton - UK
Thanks Kim - I tried it and you're right, you can have different pages of lyrics/chords/jokes/pics of the wife/etc. on each of the 8 registrations.

Don - I don't need words for all the songs I do but there are certain ones with lots of verses that I find I can't remember some of them and so I repeat ones I have already sung...mind you - you can keep a song going for 25 mins this way LOL

Regards - KFingers

#156597 - 08/24/05 08:13 AM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Kfingers and/or Kim Winther. As I stated earlier, though I completely remove the song name in Song Creator by re-naming the 'name entry' to 'space' (" ") in the SONG CREATOR Lyrics Tab Section, the midifile itself MUST always include a name, of which a 'space' "_" character is not acceptable. It is this midifile name that ALWAYS appears atop of (potentially obsuring) the lyrics background display, as evidenced by the following midifile I had named comma: "," below:

Kfingers and/or Kim Winther. Can one of you post (or send to me privately) a SCREENSHOT of one of your Lyrics BMP background files displayed on the Tyros LCD Screen, and of which the midi file 'name' does NOT appear along with it as well.

I STILL can't figure out how to keep the Midi File's name from being displayed here. Am I missing something?

Scott

#156598 - 08/25/05 10:18 AM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
KFingers Offline

Loc: Brighton - UK
Hi Scott,

In your last post I think you are displaying a bmp file called "," as a background to a midifile and not a midi file with a LOCKED background.

Your midifiles can be called anything you want (Mine are the same as my registration names which are also the song titles) but you must follow the procedure as follows.

When you first switch on, edit the New Song (which is blank) and then change the name in the song creator /Lyrics page to a space then save this as as "Empty" or "Blank" or whatever.

This is just an empty midi file and if you now choose to diplay it you will still see the last selected background (bmp file).

Now make a copy of this so you dont have to edit the name parameter each time but call your copy the song name (ie. Twist and Shout)

With this midi file selected on the main display select the Lyrics view and then background to then select your lyrics bmp file for twist an shout. DO NOT SAVE THE FILE YET.

Now go into Song Creator and then go to the chanels page and cursor down to option 5 (SETUP).

You must then uncheck all the boxes except LYRCS/BCKGRND/LNG and then press execute. This then locks the background to the midifile - Now save your file.

When you now display the lyrics the name of the song is " ". This character can be seen as a very faint block and slightly dims any lyrics character you may have at that position on the screen. However, this is much better than the comma obscuring one of your words.

Once you have performed this procedure you can create each lyric is around 20 seconds but it is a lot of button pushing. Once chosen the Song creator screens remain the same so this simplifies the procedure for any subsequent midi files you create

I'm sure you know how to link a song to registration if you need to do this.

Dont forget, you need to display the song to get your lyrics not select a new background bmp file.

Hope this clears it up for you.

I'm not in front of the Tyros right now so I can't remember the letters and numbers for the buttons you need to press.

Regards - KFingers

[This message has been edited by KFingers (edited 08-25-2005).]

#156599 - 08/26/05 11:21 AM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
kwinther Offline

Loc: Denmark
Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
Kfingers and/or Kim Winther. Can one of you post (or send to me privately) a SCREENSHOT of one of your Lyrics BMP background files displayed on the Tyros LCD Screen

I have sent you an empty midi to work with.

Kim

#156600 - 08/26/05 02:05 PM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Kim, I guess you are no longer a Roland user..from the old R-A-G days..Fran

#156601 - 08/26/05 06:38 PM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by KFingers:
When you first switch on, edit the New Song (which is blank) and then change the name in the song creator /Lyrics page to a blank space

Kfingers. Ahhh BINGO!: That's just where I messed up. I went back and re-checked the 'Lyrics Tab Window' of the midi file I had created, and I had mistakenly assigned a comma "," to the name entry, and not a blank space "_", as I had thought I had.

Quote:
Originally posted by kwinther:
I have sent you an empty midi to work with.

Kim, a great BIG thank you for sending me the 'empty' midi file, of which has confirmed to me exactly what I was doing wrong. I feel pretty stupid now for having overlooked what is so obvious now. KFingers & KimW: thanks again for the enduring patience you've shown with your help.

Ok gang, in addition to lyrics & chord chart display, I've now been able to impressively display "lead sheets" with notation too. Music which include more than one page are easily accessed by pressing reg (1-8) buttons. Not as slick as an external music display device (like the MusicPad Pro) offers, but it's quite functional none the less. In addition to lyrics, chords, and/or full out lead sheets, I like to also display ARRANGER LIVE performance instructions: when/where to trigger fills, key modulation markings, which intro/ending button to use, etc.

This once previously hidden (unknown) Tyros feature alone may make it 'well worth' upgrading from the PSR3000 for many people. I can only assume that Tyros2 will support this feature as well. I'm now wondering if Yamaha will now see fit to add mention of this in their Tyros2 owner's manual now.

Scott

#156602 - 08/26/05 06:56 PM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
Dnj Offline

Scott question.....when performing in this method how do you keep eye contact while your looking down at the display screen?

#156603 - 08/26/05 07:33 PM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
Scottyee Offline

Tyros LCD Screen Display of - Take The A Train, Duke Elllington:

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Scott question.....when performing in this method how do you keep eye contact while your looking down at the display screen?

Come on Donny, I think I've already covered this many times before here. As with those of you guys who utilize a laptop PC to display lyrics, one should only need to glance at the screen occasionally (at most) for a visual cue when/if the memory slips. It's used as a teleprompter, of which even headline entertainers like Frank Sinatra relied on in his shows. If used discretely, it's a highly effective performance tool. Afterall it can't be expected for entertainers to KNOW the lyrics & changes to EVERY song out there. That's not only impractical, but impossible, and anyone here that claims otherwise would be outright lying. The big advantage of lyric/chord , and lead sheet prompts is that it increases the ability to fullfill many more audience requests than otherwise possible.

Ok, In the case of the Tyros, its LCD screen size is FAR SMALLER, and I believe FAR LESS distracting than your laptop screen is, and of which I believe sits 'right in front of you' when you perform, right, so perhaps my question to you should be: "how do YOU keep eye contact with the audience when staring into YOUR laptop's screen"?

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 08-26-2005).]

#156604 - 08/27/05 09:25 AM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
Fran Carango Offline

That's one for Scott.

#156605 - 08/27/05 09:26 AM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
Fran Carango Offline

That's one for Scott.

Actually 99% of the time Donny just makes a selection from the screen...the rest is interaction with the audience..

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online