SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#156586 - 08/07/05 09:21 PM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
TomTomSF Offline

Loc: Half Moon Bay, CA, USA
Hi Scott

Instead of a comma, maybe and underscore _ will not block the text.

Tom G.

#156587 - 08/21/05 12:27 PM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
kwinther Offline

Loc: Denmark
Quote:
Originally posted by TomTomSF:
Hi Scott

Instead of a comma, maybe and underscore _ will not block the text.

Tom G.

You can use a SPACE instead. Also you can store your bitmap in a registration. You have to save your bitmap in a midi file and then save the midi file along with your registration. Be aware of that Styles with DSP effects will loose the effect next time you recall the registration. To get around that you have to recall the registration and freeze the Song only. Then save the registration and next time you recall your registration it will load the midifile which contains the BMP file. You have to make one midifile per BMP. I have made almost 400 now and it works perfect.

Regards
Kim Winther

[This message has been edited by kwinther (edited 08-21-2005).]

#156588 - 08/21/05 03:38 PM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by kwinther:
You can use a SPACE instead.

STRANGE , because when I attempt to save the midi song file's name with a single space (" ") character only, I get the following Tyros error message: STOP! A period (".") or a space (" ") is NOT allowed at the top of the file name.

Quote:
you can store your bitmap in a registration. You have to save your bitmap in a midi file and then save the midi file along with your registration . . . You have to make one midifile per BMP.

Yes, BUT . . . unless I'm missing something here, the fact that "you have to make one midifile per BMP" means you have to give (name) each midifile a DIFFERENT name, which basically eliminates the possibility of limiting the MIDI Song's name to only one character, less a blank name with a "single space' character only, as you had suggested, resulting in further obtruction of the lyrics displayed in the bitmap file background.

Kim, because you claim to have created over 400 midifiles dedicated to bitmap lyric background file display, please EXPLAIN how you're able to call up each of the (400) uniquely named midifiles without the midifile's "song name" BLOCKING (obsuring) the bitmap file's background lyrics displayed. Thanks, Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 08-21-2005).]

#156589 - 08/22/05 07:24 AM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
KFingers Offline

Loc: Brighton - UK
Hey - K Winther - Thanks for this really usefull tip.

Can you describe step by step how you achieve this please....

Regards - KFingers

#156590 - 08/22/05 11:06 AM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
kwinther Offline

Step by step. I presume you have your BMP file ready. Don't be scared about the long looking instruction. Once you get on with it, it takes only 30-40 seconds to link a lyric (Background) to a midi file and save it correctly into a reg.mem.

First we create a midi file
1) When you first turn on Tyros go into Song Creator (editing the Song "NewSong"). In Song Creator go to Lyrics and change the Name to a SPACE.

2) Save the midi file with the name "Empty" for example. This is now your "master midi file".

3) Copy the "Empty" midi file to another midi file called "JohnnyBGoode".

4) When "JohnnyBGoode" is the active Song go into Lyrics and select your Background (the BMP).

5) When Lyrics (BMP) is selected go into Song Creator and select Channel and 5 SET UP.

6) Make sure only "LYRICS/BKGD/LNG" is selected. Press EXECUTE and then SAVE the Song. Now everytime you call up the "JohnnyBGoode" midi it automatically displays the Lyrics you selected.

Now lets save it into a reg.mem.
7) JohnnyBGoode has to be your Song selected before you select and active an existing reg.mem. Very important otherwise the Style DSP is not used - however there is a way around that also see (9). If you are creating a new reg.mem. just select the Song (JohnnyBGoode) first and then make your changes you save in a reg.mem.

8) With the Song selected select a reg.mem and save it with the Group Select SONG selected into memory and save your registration to disk.

Test the Style DSP1 is ok and if not, make it ok
9) Load your registrations bank.

10) Activate your reg.mem. Go into MIXING CONSOLE (STYLE PART) and look at the DSP1. If you can't change the values there is either no DSP in the style or the midi file has overridden the style DSP. If the latter is the case see (11).

11) Go into FREEZE GROUP SETTING (press Direct Access and Freeze buttons). Deactivate everything except SONG.

12) Now go back to the MIXING CONSOLE (STYLE PART) and look at the DSP1. Activate Freeze and press your reg.mem. button. If you were unable to change the DSP1 values on the screen and the Style contains DSP you will now see the DSP change to the Style DSP and you are now allowed to change the values. Now save your reg.mem. again.

13) To be absolutely sure (you only do that in the beginning until you are used to the routine) deactive the Freeze button. Press the reg.mem. Look what happens with the DSP1 and if changes again do (12) one more time.

14) Save your registration bank.

Yes I have created almost 400 midi files and reg.mems. this way and I think it was worth the trouble and yes it took me some time to find out what to do when the DSP disappeared in the Styles - that was the tricky part I think.

Once you are used to it, it is very easy - I made around 30-40 a day until I had made them all.

Hope it helps!

Regards
Kim Winther

[This message has been edited by kwinther (edited 08-22-2005).]

[This message has been edited by kwinther (edited 08-22-2005).]

#156591 - 08/22/05 01:26 PM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:

Step by step.

1) When you first turn on Tyros go into Song Creator (editing the Song "NewSong"). In Song Creator go to Lyrics and change the Name to a SPACE.

2) Save the midi file with the name "Empty" for example. This is now your "master midi file".

3) Copy the "Empty" midi file to another midi file called "JohnnyBGoode".

4) When "JohnnyBGoode" is the active Song go into Lyrics and select your Background (the BMP).

5) When Lyrics (BMP) is selected go into Song Creator and select Channel and 5 SET UP.

6) Make sure only "LYRICS/BKGD/LNG" is selected. Press EXECUTE and then SAVE the Song.

Now everytime you call up the "JohnnyBGoode" midi it automatically displays the Lyrics you selected.

Yes, but the song's name: "JohnnyBGoode" is also BOLDLY displayed atop the lyrics as well, partially obscuring the lyric text.

Kim, I performed ALL your above outlined steps, including re-naming the 'name entry' to 'space' (" ") in the SONG CREATOR Lyrics Tab Section, and making sure "LYRICS/BKGD/LNG" the ONLY option selected in Song Creator: Channel Tab > 5 Setup, followed by pressing Execute and resaving the file.

It appears to me, at least on my Tyros, that changing, or completely deleting, the song NAME entry title in SONG CREATOR has no bearing on what is displayed on the Tyros LCD when the Lyrics Background is called up. It's NOT the entry NAME given in Song Creator's Lyric Tab, but the midi file's name (ei: JohnnyBGoode.mid) that is ALWAYS displayed whenever the LYRICS Window (BMP background file) is called up.

Kim, if you're really able to completely eliminate the LCD Lyrics DISPLAY of the midi song's name, might you perhaps post screenshot pics, similar to what I've shared above. Has 'anyone else' here been able to accomplish this?

Scott

#156592 - 08/22/05 01:29 PM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
KFingers Offline

Weeeeeeeeeeee

Fantastic - I have been waiting for this facility and it was there all the time.

I had all my Gig lyrics in Word and it is a simple matter to save these as BMP files and transfer them to the Tyros.

With Kim's magnificent help the words to each song now loads automatically with each registration I select.

Thanks for taking the trouble to write all the instructions down Kim. You are a real star and if you're ever in the UK near Brighton then I owe you a large one.

I have this facility on my Ketron and was a little miffed when I thought it wasn't on the Tyros.

Once again- many thanks indeed Kim

PS. For you purists out there - I know I should remember the words but over the years I have learned many songs and like to have variety in my sets. (Well that's my excuse)

Regards - KFingers

#156593 - 08/23/05 02:42 AM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
KFingers Offline

Hey Scott, this works fine for me - I first got confused with trying to save the file as " " but you actually save the first midi file as "Master" or "Empty". You only do this once and then make a copy of this file for each song you want to display the lyrics for.

It is the name parameter that you change in the Song Creator on the Lyrics page. Just use the up arrow on the left until you get to the name field and delete the name ("New Song") and replace it with " " instead - Then you save your file as your master with any meaningfull name you wish.

This results in a clear/empty display for your lyrics, instructions, chords etc. plus a meaningful midifile name that contains only a "locked" background (when you have selected the appropriate bmp and saved the file as explained above.

So, you can recall the screen by selecting the song name (midifile name) or by linking it to a registration it automatically loads when the registration for the your song is recalled.

I know that you use Musicfinder for your song setups and I tried this but I swapped to using an individual registration file for each song so I already have the files needed for the linking described above.

I think you can only link a midifile to a complete registration bank but I will try later to see if I can link a midi to each individual registration within a bank as this would allow multiple bmp display pages which could be incremented using a footswitch using the registration sequence feature.

Even if the above is not possible, what I have achieved so far with the help of Kim and Arnos and yourself has made me a happy bunny.

Regards and thanks to all

KFingers

#156594 - 08/23/05 07:35 AM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
kwinther Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by KFingers:
I think you can only link a midifile to a complete registration bank but I will try later to see if I can link a midi to each individual registration within a bank...

You can link to each of the 8 reg.mems.

I use that in medleys and in songs where the lyrics don't fit on one "page". The song American Pie I had to make 3 BMP's and I link that to 3 reg.mems. I then use reg.mems. as lyric "scrolls".

Regards
Kim Winther

#156595 - 08/23/05 07:48 AM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I have about 1700 songs on my laptop. That would be a lot of conversions!
I probably do another few hundred that aren't on the lt.
DonM

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online