SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#156576 - 08/06/05 09:40 PM Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Wow, with Thanks to Arnos (SZ member Impuls) for his terrific TIP , I've now learned it's possible to easily create & display custom lyrics (and chords) on the Yamaha Tyros while performing in auto-accompaniment mode, of which is my prefered style of arranger keyboard playing.

This method of Lyric Display utilizes the Tyros' ability to create personal decorative background bmp files to appear in the LCD display window's background. I don't believe Yamaha intended this feature for displaying LYRICS & CHORDS at all, but because of the ingenuity of people like Arno, figured out how to utilize it for this.

In Adobe Photoshop, you can quickly enter lyrics and optional chords, and then save this as a .bmp file (640x480) matching the screen view aspect ratio of the Tyros LCD screen. If you don't have Photoshop, you can import a Word File into MSPaint instead. I then created a folder on the Tyros Hard Drive (titled: Lyrics-Chords) to store/access these custom lyric .bmp files.

Next, create a 'blank named' Tyros Song File. The reason this is required is that whatever name is given will appear in front (on top) & obscure the Lyrics. Unfortunately it's not possible to create a completely blank name because it must include a least one character. Since a period (.) is not allowed, I named it with the comma (,) character, next tiniest character. I then assigned this Song the aptly titled Tyros 'icon' graphic: "ABC Lyrics". In addition, I now have this SONG automatically called up when I turn on the Tyros: via Preset Startup Registration.

Now, at anytime, when playing the keyboard, by simply selecting: 'LYRICS' (B button), and then BACKGROUND (#8 toggle button) in the Tyros MAIN DISPLAY window, I can quickly call up the lyrics to any .bmp lyric/chord file stored in the Tyros Hard Drive's: 'Lyrics-Chords' folder.

Song Lyrics(with optional chords) to other songs are easily called up in the same manner at any time. In addition to lyrics & chords, I add arranger keyboard specific instructions as well. This may include: Song Key, Reg Numbers, and specific places in song to trigger them; specific intro/endings; etc.

So far, I've created 6 lyrics files and tried it out during a performance, and it works great. The only drawbacks are that the comma (,) of which I had to name the SONG FILE might obsure one character or letter displayed (see 'Song Lyrics Display w/chords' pics below which HIGHLIGHT this problem), and the amount of screen space (real estate) for lyrics is more limiting then I would prefer. Still, I think this specific adapted Lyric Display feature could be easily enhanced by Yamaha, of which might include window scroll or a one button press to assess more pages. I don't know if it's too late or not, but this feature would be a welcome addition for Tyros2.

Ok, enough yak yak. Confucious says a pic is worth a thousands, so here are some Tyros LCD Screen shots:

Tyros MAIN SCREEN - note the 'Lyrics' selection box (at left side of LCD display) & "ABC Lyrics" titled Song ICON (in song title box):

Lyrics Background Pic Window
Song Lyrics Selections:

Song Lyrics w/Chords Display (View 1):

Song Lyrics w/Chord Display (View 2):

I hope other Tyros owners, & perhaps PSR3000/PSR2000/2100 owners as well, will find this 'end-user adapted' Lyric Display feature as useful as I have. Please let me know what you think. Thanks again Arno.

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 08-06-2005).]

#156577 - 08/06/05 11:16 PM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
Roel Offline

Scott,
I like this 'feature' too, but hoped to be able to save the background IN a registration. If that would be possible a huge WOW feeling will come up for sure !

Roel

#156578 - 08/06/05 11:20 PM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
keyofg Offline

Loc: usa
Wow! Should I watch for your MusicPadPro+ for sale on ebay?

George
keyofg

#156579 - 08/07/05 12:08 AM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by keyofg:
Wow! Should I watch for your MusicPadPro+ for sale on ebay?

Hi George. You definitely won't be finding my MusicPadPro+ for sale on Ebay (or anywhere else) anytime soon. Though this 'user adapted' Tyros KB Song Lyric Display feature is both useful & convenient it's no substitute for what the MusicPad Pro+ provides. - Scott

#156580 - 08/07/05 12:20 AM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Roel:
I like this 'feature' too, but hoped to be able to save the background IN a registration.

Roel, I agree. I'm hoping Yamaha might read this, and take this as an opportunity to not only officially incorporate this type of custom song lyric display feature, perhaps on Tyros2, but to also IMPROVE on it: adding the ablity to store & call up a specific Song Lyric file from a Registration, and from MusicFinder as well, or provide ability to select (scroll?) multiple page lyrics. Steve Deming (Yamaha USA). Any chance you could pass this request onto Yamaha Japan? - Scott

#156581 - 08/07/05 12:22 AM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
eddiefromrotherham Offline

Loc: Rotherham,England.
Hi Arno and Scott
This fantastic tip has been immediately added to my list on my website (Tip 029). This is a tip which will surely be used by many Tyros users. It would be interesting to know if it is also possible to add this feature to the 2000 and 3000?!!
cheers
Eddie

------------------
Eddie from Rotherham
www.yamahakeyboards.info

#156582 - 08/07/05 03:54 AM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
Impuls Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Scott,
Thanks for the translation,good job

Arno

#156583 - 08/07/05 05:41 AM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
girljam Offline

Loc: FL
i've got a 2100, but not sure if this is possible for me . . . wont' have time today to fool with it, so if anyone knows this - give me a shout!

Jill

PSR S970, PSR S910, ShureSM57 mics, and way too much misc.

#156584 - 08/07/05 07:45 AM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
I just did a quick check on the PSR3000, and it looks like you can only pull up the backgrounds from the preset backgrounds.

No option for user backgrounds. No cigar, this time for the PSR3000 owners.

Regards,

Jerry

#156585 - 08/07/05 12:57 PM Re: Wow ! Check This Out : New Found Ability For Lyric & Chord Display on Yamaha Tyros !
notlos Offline

Loc: Belgium
Nice feature !!!

Just chat with scott on msn and see here on the photo's that it's great to see lyrics and chords displayed on the screen.
Also on the pa1x-pa1xpro you can make lyrics txt only with white background and black text.

regards,

notlos
www.notlos.com

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online