SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#156517 - 10/15/04 05:09 PM I miss the VA-7
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I really, really, REALLY miss my VA-7.After two days without it[Dummy me, went and sold it!!], I realize it may have been the best arranger keyboard I ever owned[and that is saying something]..
What I will miss most of all , besides some great sounds and styles, are the version 2 goodies, namely the Lyric editing..It worked like a charm,,
Also the ability to read all types of lyric formats..
Heck I even got use to the touch screen and a few of the drawbacks to my G1000..
Anyone that spent time with a VA, soon would find it to be a great board...
I figure the G70 is close enuff, that it would be okay to let the VA-7 go..

I had a few Roland boards for sale, and after the first couple sold, I decided not to sell the VA-7..by the time I got home[lunch with the boys], went to Ebay to cancel the auction...darn ,,too late..someone used the "Buy now" option..

Anyone thinking of selling their VA... think twice about it...

#156518 - 10/15/04 05:19 PM Re: I miss the VA-7
Dnj Offline

Fran....I know you'll be the first kid on the block to have a G70

#156519 - 10/15/04 05:30 PM Re: I miss the VA-7
Fran Carango Offline

Donny, are you off tonite too?
The game is rained out!!
Kathleen is on the phone!!
And the VA is gone!!

Nothing to do...

#156520 - 10/15/04 05:41 PM Re: I miss the VA-7
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Fran,
I still have 2 VA76 keyboards left. You can buy one at a really good price!
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#156521 - 10/15/04 05:55 PM Re: I miss the VA-7
Fran Carango Offline

George , thanks,but I gotta be "strong" and wait for the new G..If I keep getting withdrawl reactions, I will call Dr George..

#156522 - 10/15/04 06:16 PM Re: I miss the VA-7
Dnj Offline

Fran....Im off tonight too...game was rained out Arggggg! Big double tommorow & Sunday...hang in there the G70 is coming...
I'll see ya Mon or Tues

#156523 - 10/15/04 08:15 PM Re: I miss the VA-7
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
OK Fran--When does the G-1000 go? Inquiring minds want to know!

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#156524 - 10/15/04 08:38 PM Re: I miss the VA-7
Fran Carango Offline

Gary, if the new G70 is as easy to work with as the G1000 , and has all the features expected[advertised], it will be my new weapon of choice..

What that will mean..The G1000 will stay in the studio..I would not sell it [unless someone offered a zillion dollars for it, after all ,this is one famous keyboard]..
As a controller, it is super, and very detail oriented...it is probably worth the same "dead or alive".
After consideration, I realized the G1000 was every bit as good as the D-70 as a controller[except for the weight[26lbs to 41lbs].The G actually is superior as a controller....

Who knows, maybe I will prefer the G1000 over the G70!!

Really, I predict the G70 will be a monster and I bet it will give Korg,Ketron,and Yamaha, a run for the money..everyone is tired of the drawbacks of the forementioned guys..We need a new Solid Leader..

#156525 - 10/15/04 09:44 PM Re: I miss the VA-7
zuki Offline

Fran,
I've bought and sold VA's several times and always go through withdrawals. What a great board.
zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#156526 - 10/16/04 12:06 AM Re: I miss the VA-7
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Fran,
hopefully you won't have to wait too long for the G70. With a bit of luck, this time Roland's got it right, it's been quite a few years between models.

I really enjoyed my g800 for the couple of years I had it. The VA7 a few years down the track was a bit of a shock to the system, it was not easy to navigate.

Unfortunately I really loved my kn7000 ( had both at the same time), so I probably didn't give the va7 the attention it deserved.

If you're anything like me, you're probably counting down the days till you get your new one.

Hang in there, it's amazing how quickly time passes.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Fran Carango:
[B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#156527 - 10/16/04 06:01 AM Re: I miss the VA-7
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

Fran, I am surprised!

Here I thought Fran was once and for all getting rid of all (well some) those hardware based keyboards. Room once again to be had in Fran's household so that he can quickly navigate from his studio to spend quality time with his wife in a timely and understanding way. But no Fran will continue to spend a life time to get from his studio to any other location in his complex life. Oh my!!!

Rikki you are not helping???

#156528 - 10/16/04 07:20 AM Re: I miss the VA-7
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Frank....... hardware arrangers are the only way to go live. I'm sure you're having a ball with your softsynth setup, but there is nothing about it that's easier than using a dedictaed arranger.
No one ever requested me to use a higher quality sample either. Actually, I've played many, many successful jobs on inferior pianos or old electronic rigs.
I applaude your "pioneer" attitude with the pc stuff, but on stage - I need buttons and hardware !

#156529 - 10/16/04 01:54 PM Re: I miss the VA-7

UD, you are right. I have always said the user interface (control surface) of software based systems is not as good as hardware based systems. In the end, it is also what you get used to and the balance between that and quality of sounds and effects. More and more live performers are using the software based approach. It is also a business decision. Good sounding software is very expensive. You need to make a rate of return - but not as high as Fran's (G1000).

You see all you guys have way to much stuff. Plus you buy low and sell high. Thus there is a need for Robin Hood. In addition, Fran needs to beable to get out of his studio to spend quality time with his loved one. Age is even creeping up on Fran. Sad!!!

#156530 - 10/16/04 05:49 PM Re: I miss the VA-7
rikkisbears Offline

Sorry Frank,
I imagine entertainers need the simplicity of pushing the buttons & have the confidence in knowing everything is going to work exactly as they expect.

Plus everyone wouldn't neccesarily have the spare time required to edit styles etc to work with a software based system.

I suppose someday when a manufacturer brings out an affordable dedicated software arranger ( sounds, styles & controller ) things may change.

You've basically managed to convert me( plus quite a few others from what I've read) I don't regret having sold my 3 top end arrangers, but I am looking forward to getting my rather inexpensive dgx305, only insofar as I enjoy the thrill of getting a new toy & exploring features etc, plus it will allow me to play something instantly. My software based system is going to take some time to set up ie tweak all the styles etc, so it's my long term project, a dgx is a quick fix. ( haahaa)

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by Frank L. Rosenthal:
Rikki you are not helping???

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#156531 - 10/16/04 06:00 PM Re: I miss the VA-7

Rikki, I am so sad so very sad. You are with them and I am once again on my own in this complex unforgiving world of music. Oh well!!!

'He in whom the love of truth predominates,
keeps himself aloof from all moorings and afloat'

I think Emerson said something like that and I will quietly walk into the cold dark night and not bother people with my way of doing things. Tragic!!!

[This message has been edited by Frank L. Rosenthal (edited 10-18-2004).]

#156532 - 10/16/04 07:53 PM Re: I miss the VA-7
Uncle Dave Offline

Frank !!!! Don't change a thing! We NEED pioneers! Stick to your convictions!
(just keep that mess of wires and boxes off MY stage ! )

#156533 - 10/16/04 08:07 PM Re: I miss the VA-7
rikkisbears Offline

Not really Frank,
if that was the case I'd be getting my usual top of the line tyros/PA1X or G70 to replace the last 3 I sold ( 9000pro, va7 & kn7) instead I've opted for an inexpensive li'l DGX305 ( to give me that " I need a new keyboard" fix, plus remember i'm also using it as a portable controller for my laptop/hypercanvas & omb ) heck it runs on 6 batteries, that'll really freak hubby out, i can sit in the back seat of the car, on trips & play away to my hearts content. Talk about a captive audience. haahaa. ( only joking)

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Frank L. Rosenthal:
[B]Rikki, I am so sad so very sad. You are with them and I am once again on my own in this complex unforgiving world of music. Oh well!!!

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#156534 - 10/17/04 05:35 AM Re: I miss the VA-7

Lucky me!!!

#156535 - 10/17/04 07:29 AM Re: I miss the VA-7
Fran Carango Offline

Hey Frank, I hope you are just toying with us..You appear to be depressed about our slow developement in the sample world...Be patient, we have to resolve our old way of doing things to the new way[and maybe the future ] of performing...heck , 5 or 6 years ago, no one wanted to be seen on stage with a laptop...now we can't do without it on stage....we'll come around..you can bet on it...even UD..

I for one appreciate your guidance with my conversion..Hyper Canvas sample use with XP operating system...I use this method with sequence playback with my laptop..without your help I still would be kicking the dog[and I don't even have a dog]...
I tried to use the controller with OMB and Jammerlive, but it is still much easier for me to play an arranger..
The B4 software with my G1000 as a controller is still unsurpassed....I am getting there...now if I can pace myself, as you reminded...I am also getting old...
Thanks again for all your help..Fran

#156536 - 10/17/04 07:56 AM Re: I miss the VA-7
Uncle Dave Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
I am also getting old...

Huh?? GETTing ???????? You're THERE Grandpa!

#156537 - 10/17/04 01:59 PM Re: I miss the VA-7

UD & Fran, I am mostly trying to have some fun at your expense. I might even be a little jealeous about all this equipment that floats around you guys.

On a serious note though - I like my software based system and if I can help someone succeed with theirs always makes my day. As you know I an getting old and infirm and it is hard getting around. This lets me get around - sort of.

Also I want to make it clear that I am advocating the software based system as only one more alternative to check out. Young people just getting into the business may find this interesting. People who primarily work at home or in a studio my find this alternative suitable, etc., etc.

I can see people having problems setting up their systems. I would venture a guess that most of these problems have to do with user understanding of the operating systems and the associated music applications. I think it takes a significant investment in time and some money to get a truly successful software based system. I can setup most peoples systems within 5 to 10 hours. This would include tweaking about 10 styles so they can at least get started.

In fact, I will likely build a system for a guy who plays in a high class night club and the local book store coffee shop. It is mostly jazz & swing with some singing. He took a look/listen at my system and wants it. So we will likely start with his laptop (don't know what it is) and his Kurzweil keyboard and add the following:

External hard drive and soundcard
B4
Kontakt with PMI Grand Piano, Scarbee 73 Rhodes, Scarbee Bass, Garitan Strings, some brass (sax, trumpet, mutes) and GM500 drum kits, Acoustic & Jazz Guitar. I will convert some to soundfont so that they can be put in a wavetable and played with LiveSynth Pro.
Host - forte
Live - Styler to occasionally play the drums with bass (the odd time a little brass thrown in). He will likely play the bass with his Roland Pk5 Bass Pedals. He will also make use of midi files - on very rare occasions.

I am sure I left out some stuff which I will discover once I start setting it up but you can get the general idea of it. Plus he is a very good musician (classically trained and then some). He played this approach on my system and as I said before was taken by the quality of it. He likes quality in the places where he performs. To set this up after acquiring all the software and hardware would only take about 5 hours for it to work reliably. This will always sound like the same band which shows up to put on a quality show. I can't get over it.

This forum and this activity keeps me excited!!!

[This message has been edited by Frank L. Rosenthal (edited 10-17-2004).]

#156538 - 10/17/04 06:00 PM Re: I miss the VA-7
rikkisbears Offline

Hi ,
I must admit I sometimes wonder why young people end up buying arranger keyboards to create modern dance type music ( rap, techno all that sort of stuff, unless of course they want the keyboard for live playing ) After having a browse through some of the software available ie fruityloops, sonar, acid etc the demo's created from some of these programs are fantastic.

I like the arranger concept ( be it software or hardware based ) because I enjoy playing even if it's only to entertain myself. I personally don't record anything except for the odd backing sequencing to play along to.

On the other hand, if I had enough talent to compose/record, I'd be software based. The sequencers, the software samplers, the programs mentioned above, stuff one could have only dreamed about 10/15 years ago, and it can be a fairly inexpensive way to go provided one already owns a reasonable computer. Best part is, most of these programs have demo's , so one can try before they buy.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Frank L. Rosenthal:

[B]
Also I want to make it clear that I am advocating the software based system as only one more alternative to check out. Young people just getting into the business may find this interesting. People who primarily work at home or in a studio my find this alternative suitable, etc., etc.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online