SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#156514 - 10/21/05 01:53 PM Re: Your recommendation for a USB Keyboard Controller
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

Dnj, when it comes to controller keyboards (keyboards without effects and instruments), I prefer the Roland keyboards, namely the A37. I have tried some of the Roland/Edirol as well (don't remember the model numbers) and they will get the job done. The best is to test them with the module or computer with which you are going to use such instruments.

DNJ you are planning the right approach. Your customers are going to be impressed on how such a minimalist approach sounds so good.

#156515 - 10/21/05 04:48 PM Re: Your recommendation for a USB Keyboard Controller
Quasar Offline

Tapas, that looks like a very well thought-out and well-designed setup. Thanks for describing it in such complete detail. The pic looked cool, too. (What do you do with all those monitors?)

Yes,the M50, M80, A37 or something similarly semi-weighted is on the wish list, but that must wait a little as I do have my P120 for purcussive type instruments, and small budget = need to prioritize. I hope just after Xmas.

If you're serious about SF2s etc., and editing sounds extensively, you might want to consider Kontakt. It's relatively expensive, but the sonic features are mind blowing. My upgrade from V1.5x to 2 is in the mail, and I've heard the included sound library, scripting and "purge" feature (to save RAM) alone are worth the upgrade.

Frank, Dnj, et al, I can vouch for the fact that the M-Audio- at least the 461c- is weak in terms of velocity response. You get several presets, but only the default seems playable at all, and you seem to go from pp to ff without much room to dabble in the midrange. But how do you test a board "with the module or computer with which you are going to use such instruments?" Is it considered OK etiquette to buy HW online with a 30 day money back, "try" and simply return it if it's not to your liking? I know I've never done anything like that, and wouldn't feel right doing so. But as there's no suitable music store where I live, I necessarily go by reviews and the opinions of others.

Regards,

Michael

PS Edit: Tapas: GPO is outstanding, do you think? Best $250 I ever spent. One reason I'm waiting on the new controller is to get JABB
with that money instead.

[This message has been edited by Quasar (edited 10-21-2005).]

#156516 - 10/21/05 06:16 PM Re: Your recommendation for a USB Keyboard Controller
Tapas Offline

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Hi Michael,

Those 4 Dell 1901FP 19 inch flat panel monitors come in real handy during my daytime job as a GIS programmer! You can open up so many windows side by side and test your code. Here is a mapping application I designed to show various thematic layers in Arizona:
http://sco.az.gov/website/parcels

If you hit the red [Help] button on the top right, you will find my detailed step by step guide that walks you through all the functions.

I understand your dilemma in buying a controller keyboard sight unseen. I had the same problem too. So I ordered it from audioMIDI.com. They are a great on-line music retailer. I have returned things in the past without a single question. They refunded 100% of the amount the very same day. They did not even deduct their own shipping costs.

The PCR-M50 or the PCR-M80 is a sure deal. I now have a first hand experience of its key feel and have compared that to the Novation ReMOTE and the Korg Kontrol. I think it excels both. Roland has nailed the synth action on this model. The sliders are smooth as butter. You can safely order this unit.

I was lucky to meet Gary Garritan, President of GPO at the CES show earlier this January in Las Vegas. His demo blew me away and I purchased that on the spot. Ofcourse, Gary made me a sweet deal too!

I have read a lot of rave reviews on Kontakt. Please let us know when you install the upgrade. Maybe I will follow suit and try this out after you post your review.

Regards,

Tapas

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online